Crashing on Save

Hi All,

I really want to be able to use Dorico but it keeps crashing whenever I go to save a project. Only error message I’m getting is that Windows encountered an error. I’ve attached my crash dumps and app data. I am able to do basic operations like add a player, etc. within Dorico itself.

Windows 10
Intel Celeron
4 GB RAM (will be upping that to 8+ today)

Thanks all!
Lee
Dorico.exe.2896.zip (669 KB)
application.zip (1.32 KB)

I’m very sorry you’re having problems with Dorico crashing. I’ve passed your crash logs on to Paul, and hopefully he will get a chance to look at them soon and give us a clue as to what might be going wrong.

Hi Lee,

I’ve taken a look at the logs, and it’s the Dell Backup and Recovery component that is crashing. This is likely to be a shell extension that hooks into the Save dialogs of all applications. If there’s a crash in that then it will take down the application that is running. If you are using this for backup then in the first instance I would suggest updating it - there’s a newer version at http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=GX7TX . If you aren’t using it then I’d recommend uninstalling it.

Loaded symbol image file: DBROverlayIconBackuped.dll
Image path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Backup and Recovery\Components\Shell\DBROverlayIconBackuped.dll
Image name: DBROverlayIconBackuped.dll

Hi Paul,

I removed and uninstalled Dell Backup and Recovery, rebooted, and Dorico is still crashing on the save. I have Crash Dumps and App Data but it’s too large to upload. I’m wondering if something went wrong on the install. Should I delete and reinstall?

:cry:

Lee

Probably best to send Paul a PM containing the latest crash dumps so he can take a look and see what’s the likely culprit now. It’s possible that the Dell software has still left some of its shell extensions lurking around, and that they’re still causing problems.

you could also run up AutoRuns to confirm, see Autoruns for Windows - Sysinternals | Microsoft Learn. Make sure you run as administrator.

There is a ‘Explorer’ tab listing all shell extensions loaded. If you find Dell entries there, you can just disable them. Might have to restart afterwards.

From other crash dumps Lee has sent it seems that the Dell Backup tool is still lurking around on his system.