Create a keycommand/function to reset snap points

It happens all the time when editing small chunks of audio.

There is no quick way of resetting these snap points which affects all sorts of editing workflows, parameters and other basic commands like Quantize.

You can see the error in quantize

You can see me correcting snap points one at a time.

The only way to reset a snap point, is with the command ‘Snap Point To Cursor’, which does not work great when you have multiple events at different starting points.

This is a request that has been asked for years.

2 Likes

This drives me nuts. Cubase seems to move the snap points randomly at times, I’ll be working on a project and a random piece of audio will suddenly have its snap point changed. I’ve never been able to figure out why this happens, if it’s me, or literally just random. Catches me out all the time. I have zero use for moveable snap points personally, so I’d prefer a command that snaps the snap point back to the start of the event instantly without moving the cursor to the start of the event and then reseting.

It’s rare I get the situation you describe but it does happen.

For now, what if you select all the audio and type the start of them in the info bar?
My parts move randomly too. I learned to use Locking events as soon as I think I am done. But recently I learned that locking events not always lock everything such as voicing or chords if it following the chord track!

In this instance, I’ve discovered it is ARA2/Spectralayers causing it when an event isn’t perfectly on the grid/start of a bar.

But this can’t be the only cause, I’ve had this problem occur a lot way before ARA2 was invented. Maybe as far back as SX3.

I have hundreds of projects, song ideas, etc with this problem. It becomes apparent when opening up old projects, or importing tracks to project.

There is also the issue of, and another instance I believe this pops up, is if you are recording I think there is some sort of “smart” placement of the start point that isn’t always correct, and or, if you have a long record buffer in which you are lengthening the start of the recorded events to include buffer.

These creates SO MANY EDITING and EXPORT ERRORS - - - - PLEASE FIX THIS

I figured out what can cause this!

BOUNCING WITH THE RANGE TOOL

(As well as initiating ARA2)

+1

Thanks, this has been such an annoying quirk for so long!

Anyone know if this was improved in Version 11? This has been complained about since probably SX3.

We need a key command/function to RESET - - - ALL - - - SNAP POINTS SELECTED EVENTS.

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/key-command-function-reset-snap-points-of-all-selected-events/143942

1 Like

I’ve discovered this also happens when exporting events and importing back into the project via ‘Create Audio Track’.

you can test this with a series of cycle markers guiding the export, if the cycle ranges are off the snap grid setting, it will add snap points automatically to the nearest grid line… sooooo annoying.

I LOVE this. Voted!

GOD I hate those dang things. They’ve created SO MUCH unnecessary work for me over the years.

This happens to me CONSTANTLY as I import lots of events. They seemingly appear at random. Next time it happens I’m going to screenshot it and post here.

I agree, it would be good to be able to turn off the snap points globally. It seems like an old relic that was once a real plus, but nowadays could be working against both hitpoints and relative grid mode. I HAVE used snap points on some occations though, to quickly be able to timeline syncronize different rendered versions of the same mastered song, et cetera. And for sound design it could also be a plus. But shutting it off globally as an option, aye (maybe even as a default).

As a workaround in the meantime: Maybe select the event, then create a macro of “left selection to cursor” and then “set snap to cursor”, and then assign that macro to a key command…? Or if that doesn’t work, maybe a macro like " locators to selection", “go to left locator” and then “set snap to cursor”…? :man_shrugging:

After testing, I found a solution. I don’t know whether it works for you.

You found a work-around. It’s not a solution and is still an issue that should be addressed by Steinberg devs. In the meantime, thank you for finding a work-around! <3

Steinberg are really starting to piss me off with these criminal bugs.

Please address this Steinberg, this creates headaches and lost time for our dev team.

The above linked threads date back to 2012… 10 years ago!

1 Like

This costs so much time, often. If for whatever reason Cubase will always put in random snap points at times then there needs to be a simple, immediate way to reset the snap points with one command for as many events at a time as needed.

Is there progress on this? It still exists in C13.