Create a tempo track based on an existing recording

Up to the latest work, I did it in Logic. Not that it is completely smooth, but it is easier to recreate an nearly-exact tempo map than in Dorico.

Lately, I’ve decided to try with not-so-accurate tempo maps, since the original recording is just a model, and not an obligation. I would change it anyway, depending on the feedback from the sampled sounds.

For this, it seems to work well enough, even if the lack of different curves is a real issue.

Paolo

1 Like

I agree. The result I’ve achieved in Dorico only is good enough, and doesn’t mess with the notation. But the process is long. Maybe it’s because I need more practice!

Imagine if you could simply record the tempo for a selection in Dorico. Options would include tapping/playing a fixed duration or the rhythm of the selection, hearing playback or not (it would follow the ‘conducting’), and the length of the preroll.

1 Like

Yes @tristis , spending too many hours on this project has shown me how right you are about this tap tempo thing. Hopefully there’s a solution coming!

1 Like

A temporary workaround may be this one:

1. Load the original audio file in a Daw.

2. Create a VI track.

3. Start recording, and beat the tempo with the VI.

4. Convert the VI track to audio, to create a ‘tap tempo’ track.

5. Map tempo to the ‘tap tempo’ track.

It should be more precise than trying to find the beats in the original file,

Paolo

Yes, indeed. Actually what I did was a mix of this, of tristis’ method and some already baked in (in Dorico) tempo markings.

(google traduction from french)
Indeed, the best is to use each software for what it is best to do.

If it is to make didactic and visual material, do not forget that the human being focuses on and anticipates on what moves.

If we take post-production in the cinema and the invention of the “rhythmo tape” as an example, the actors hired to dub voices always follow the scrolling text and a vertical cursor in the middle tells them when to place the words: the human being anticipate ever more quickly on what is moving.
Maybe that’s why the terrible software that scrolls green notes up and down is so successful and effective in piano tutorials for beginners on YouTube:
Here are two quick examples with these two flavors
:

1. Cursor moves:

2.cursor static: