Create custom line shapes using font characters

I would like to know if it is possible to create a new line with some symbol? Here is the example in the case of Sibelius:

The problem of above attempt is that there were a only way to replace the guitar’s symbol “Wide vibrato segment” with another symbol. I’d like to create several kinds of lines in my score, at the same time.

We don’t have any kind of line style editing interface in Dorico at the moment, but I’m sure this is something that will come in future. We do of course have the underlying support for this kind of glyph-based line, as it’s used for things like trills and glissandi, but at the moment there’s no UI to allow you to create new ones for yourself.

Thank you so much for your answer, Daniel. I hope we will have in the future this UI in Dorico. I know I’ve asked too much in this point, but if we can handle all kinds of lines with Bezier Curve as Slurs, it’ll be great for the editorial works of contemporary music and composition of this area.
Sincerely, Keita

Sorry to resurrect a zombie thread, I just wondered whether this was possible yet?

You can make custom playing technique (go into Engrave mode, then Engrave > Playing Technique…). These can include any combination of glyphs, text etc. Lines (actual extendable lines) are not yet possible.

Thanks, custom playing techniques aren’t really what I need, it’s definitely lines, but thank you.

Sorry to be the next one to resurrect an old thread, but are extendable/custom lines available yet?

No.

Dear jacobrmoss,
Just to make sure you did not miss this workaround :

IgorBorodin wrote :
For drawing any kinds of lines - solid, dashed, or dotted - there an excellent (in my opinion) workaround that Marc Larcher suggested: using crescendo hairpin with ‘0’ aperture. You can modify the line’s length, direction, and style any way you need.

I’m the next one to resurrect this thread. When a line editing tool appears, I hope it will be a simple Bezier curve creation tool, à-la-Illustrator. Modern avant-garde scores require a lot of vector graphics. The old trick I’ve seen used the most (creating a bitmap with an external software, and then pasting it in the score) is not flexible, nor of the best quality when printing.

A Bezier curve is flexible, and you can do everything with it.

Paolo

1 Like

I’m not up-to-date on this but Dorico should be able to handle SVG (at least it does with graphic frames), so you aren’t limited to bitmap graphics and the printing quality will be perfect.

Yes, using vector graphic imports should mean that you can stretch them to fit without any loss of definition.

Thank you, Stephan and Ben, for pointing me toward the SVG import ability of Dorico. However, the point in having a Bezier-curve tool in Dorico is that each point of the curve could be anchored to a note.

Take, for example, a line indicating the movement of the violin bow between the bridge and tasto. With the Bezier tool you would anchor a precise point in the line to a note, without having to hint at it when drawing the imported graphic on an external program.

Even more, this would make a difference when dealing with curves, instead of lines.

Paolo

I was thinking to draw my own examples, but here is something I found in the “New Music Notation” published by the University of Ghent:

gliss-line.png
Each point of the multi-segment line representing glissando could be anchored to one of the small notes showing the hidden rhythm. Change the duration of one of the notes, and the segment length will change accordingly.

Both straight and curved segments can be drawn with the same tool with a Bezier tool.

This tool would be useful for glissandi, bow movement, graphic note lenght à-la-Penderecki, or whatever else for which you usually would have imported a score into Illustrator.

Paolo

1 Like