Create Drum Map from Instrument greyed out

Dont Create Drum Map.tiff (1.46 MB)
I was looking forward to trying out this feature: Groove Agent SE4 supposedly communicates with the DAW in that you can “Create Drum Map from Instrument” (from the drum map drop down in the project window).

But mine is greyed out. Anyone know why?

From the looks of your screenshot, you don’t have anything recorded on the drumtrack. Try recording something or double click in the lane to create an empty Part, Then try the DrumMap pulldown gain. Does it work now?

Thanks Weasel - That wasn’t the problem. It’s either a bug or a misunderstood feature, but I’m able to “Create Drum Map From Instrument” just once, in a new empty project, and then it greys out. Oddly, if I switch the drum kit in GASE4 after using the “Create Drum Map…” command, the drum map name switches along with the new uploaded kit. So my “Brush Kit Map” became “Big Bump Map” - and it switched back when I switched kits again. Weird. I’ll submit a report in the other forum. Thanks again.

Oddly, if I switch the drum kit in GASE4 after using the “Create Drum Map…” command, the drum map name switches along with the new uploaded kit. So my “Brush Kit Map” became “Big Bump Map” - and it switched back when I switched kits again. Weird.

Weird? Perhaps. However, it would appear that this behavior of the new feature is by design. If “Create Drum Map From Instrument” is activated, the drum map will change with the preset selection.

The “weird” behavior that you’ve noticed (and also appears to be by design) is that once you’ve invoked “Create Drum Map From Instrument”, it becomes “permanently active” and subsequently, the menu item “greys out”.

All this means is that as long as the track uses a plug-in that can take advantage of this feature (GASE4, GA1 and at least one other 3rd party unit , I know of: Tremor) the track will continue to update the Drum map as presets change. You can of course, revert back to “No Drum Map” or switch to a saved Drum Map of your choosing…but as observed, the “Create Drum Map From Instrument” menu item remains “greyed out”…unless you decide to replace the plug-in with another “Create Drum Map From Instrument” compliant plug-in. In that case the “Create Drum Map From Instrument” menu item will no longer be “greyed out”

And of course, if you replace (for example) GASE4 with something like Battery 4, the menu item will appear “greyed out”, as it is not compliant with the feature.

My opinion is that the feature is working as designed.

1 Like