Creating Dorico videos

Maybe. I don’t need all those features right now. I’d just like to be able to splice out for length, scale the image a bit, and add the black sidebars and not have it do weird things.

I use barely a tenth of what PD does. But it does it well, every time. Fast encoding, dependable, easy to use!

I’ve used Shotcut for various simple things with some success.

I was also just about to recommend Shotcut. Once again, can’t beat the price :slight_smile:

Shotcut definitely works way better. Thanks. :slight_smile:

The fixed video without the weird panning:

A very complete and robust software to edit videos is DaVinci Resolve. It is free and paid, being the free version very complete. I tend to compare Resolve with Dorico in my mind :laughing:. I edit my videos with it: www.youtube.com/entrenotas. The last ones were captured with OBS.

Hello Tromboneandrew,

Could you briefly explain how did you do the video with Shotcut? I downloaded but it doesn’t seem to be able to capture screen… ???

Thank you

Shotcut itself doesn’t do the screen capture: it allows you to edit the video you have captured through other means. See the first few posts in this thread for suggestions about what software to use to do the screen capturing part.

Great! Thank you, Daniel

this is a feature I use in that other software quite a lot, is it on the roadmap for Dorico? Maybe 3.0?

Hi there Dan,

I brought Movavi for that express purpose. I wanted to make the video in Sibelius but add the audio from the same project via sibelius file/export midi/open in Dorico/ export the audio from Dorico/Make a video of the same file in sibelius then mute the staves/open up in Movavi and plant that Dorico audio into it, as Dorico does not have video export. . But with the video recording through Movavi, I noticed that sound was not as crisp and clear as that from the original Dorico audio. So, you’ve managed to get the video recording of Movavi to have the audio being recorded through Dorico. Is that easy to do?

thanks,

Steve

Well to be honest, I typically don’t rely on internal audio. I export the audio and join it in Power Director.

You might have a crappy sound card. My laptop does.

If I’m using Movavi for a video tutorial, I record using an external audio interface (in my case, a Focusrite Scarlett).

Hi Dan,

thanks for the answer. I’ll check that out. Actually, I’ll try it again with Movavi, as I have a new computer - well, actually the computer is new, but I have my original C disc with all the programs still on it. So, my sound should be a lot better from Movavi if I try it and see what happens.

I’ll look up the Power Director software as well.

thanks,

Steve

I don’t understand why Dorico can’t make save to video as build-in, since Sibelius has this feature for long time?

Sibelius took about 24 years to get round to implementing this, and Dorico has only been in development for 7 years. Sibelius’s Export to YouTube function has been broken for at least the last two years.

Regardless of whether Sibelius has some feature or not, the Dorico development team have been busy implementing other features (including plenty that Sibelius doesn’t have).

We have no plans to add a feature for exporting video directly from Dorico.

I made this video yesterday to show how Dorico and NotePerformer perform, for all my fellow friends who still don’t know anything about these tools. I used IShowU, found that pretty easy to set up.

1 Like

Well done, Marc.

I have exported videos with QuickTime desktop recording with some virtual audio drivers, according to the macOS version. It is doable.

However, I recently had a completely new experience. I helped my wife who still uses mainly Finale 2010 under Windows 10. She had to make some videos for each voice part and complete parts: soprano part, alto part, tenor part, bass part, and whole parts because a chorus in a church could not have enough time to practice due to COVIE-19.
It is also doable, but not productive:
QuickTime format is not directly open in Android and Windows. VLC can open them, but lots of people do not use it.

If Dorico supports video exporting with various formats or only even mp4 format, it will increase productivity. I feel that lots of arrangers and composers who work for amateur chorus need video export.

The more productive feature Dorico implements, the more customers use Dorico!
Wouldn’t it be worth discussing this feature again with your colleagues?

With the COVID-19 lockdown and the noticeable growth in sharing pieces online, there have been several occasions when I’ve had to upload scrolling videos of my scores to YouTube. I really appreciate the speed and simplicity with which I can do this in Sibelius and am frankly put off by the alternative of having to download and learn to use yet another program (whether free or not) just to achieve the same result in Dorico 3.5. Given that many Dorico users may be similarly confined for months to come, not just in the UK but globally, isn’t it perhaps time for the Dorico team to consider making the creation of scrolling videos an integral feature of the software?