Creating multiple voices

New to Dorico. I’ve had some good information for my problem but I’m still confused. I’d like to know how to write 2 eighth notes (not tied) above a quarter note ( as a chord) with the first upper eighth note pitch moving to a second eighth note pitch (i.e., c to b), both eighths in the space of the quarter note. (Sorry I don’t know how to do a screen shot.) I’ve tried this according to multiple voice instructions but can’t make it work. Please help. Thank you.

You mean this, or something different?
v

To crib @Janus’s example…
twoVoices.dorico (489.2 KB)

You might also find this video helpful:

The default voice is “Up-stem 1”. So write the eighths in the normal way. In Note Entry, you then need to create a new voice using Shift V. That will create “Down-stem 1”.

Having created the new voice, you can switch between the voices in Note Entry using V. (Not Shift V.)

You can also use these keys on selected items to move them to an existing or new voice.

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I mean. Can you help me do this? Thank yo.

You asked the same question yesterday and it seemed solved. If this was another case, it’s exactly the same procedure. The video links there and here are very detailed.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I mean. Can you help me do this? Thank yo.

Start note entry (so the orange ‘caret’ line is showing).
Enter your quavers. Move the caret back to the first quaver (left arrow).
Create a new voice (shift-v). Select the crotchet duration (6) and enter the crotchet.

Once you have created a new voice, you can switch between them during note entry by just pressing V.

You can create as many voices as you want on a stave and pressing V will cycle through them.

If you turn on voice colors (view>notes and rest colors>voice colors) you should see that the quavers are a different color from the crotchet.

You should experiment with different voices and get familiar with moving notes to different voices, swapping notes between voices, and especially seeing the affect of having chord mode (Q) on or off. Most of the voice related operations are to be found on the right-click>voices context menu.

3 Likes

Yes!! It worked!! Thank you so much for your detailed explanation.

Just a minor problem: the stems of all 3 notes are going up. How do I make the lower note stem go down?

| Janus
May 9 |

• | - |

Start note entry (so the orange ‘caret’ line is showing).
Enter your quavers. Move the caret back to the first quaver (left arrow).
Create a new voice (shift-v). Select the crotchet duration (6) and enter the crotchet.

Once you have created a new voice, you can switch between them during note entry by just pressing V.

You can create as many voices as you want on a stave and pressing V will cycle through them.

If you turn on voice colors (view>notes and rest colors>voice colors) you should see that the quavers are a different color from the crotchet.

You should experiment with different voices and get familiar with moving notes to different voices, swapping notes between voices, and especially seeing the affect of having chord mode (Q) on or off. Most of the voice related operations are to be found on the right-click>voices context menu.

F is for ‘flip’. (It works with many objects, not least stems)

Yes, but you don’t want to keep flipping notes if their ‘natural’ stem voice is the other way.

Thank you!

Thank you!!