Creating VEPro Temp on Single Computer for Networked System

Hi Everyone,

I have recently ordered a Mac Mini to use as my primary computer and will be converting my existing PC to a primarily VEPro server computer. The Mac arrives Monday and I figured I’d get a head start building my template and creating a Dorico Playback Template to go with it.

Does anyone know if there would be any issues moving the Dorico Playback Template I create from a single computer setup to a networked setup, or should I just wait to connect it up till I have the mac?

I don’t know enough about how using VE Pro on another computer works to be sure, but if you need to use a different VST device on the host computer (e.g. you load some kind of special network plug-in rather than loading VE Pro directly), then you might want to wait to set it up, because the playback template needs to include saved endpoint configurations for each plug-in: if you need to use a different plug-in to connect to VE Pro on your other machine, you should wait to set it up.

@Johnstakovich
It occurs to me that you might find more folks familiar with this setup if you posed this question on the Cubase forum.

Been awhile … last I did was the BBCSO using the excellent Dorico supplied template, I think what I did was load up the version in Dorico, then went into each VST screen (using the ‘e’ button in the Play tracks) and save out from there the settings to a file. Then in VEPro I added the same VST and loaded up those settings. This way I made sure the articulations mapped across properly.

I broke the orchestra into Choirs, so Wind, Brass, Perc, Keys and Strings (called Groups or something in VEP). Then in a new file in Dorico I set the VEP client VST, pointing to the proper Choir and MIDI channel.

Straightforward but a little tedious. I can’t remember why I felt that saving the VST articulation setting was important in Dorico though, now it seems like that might be overkill but I probably did it for a reason.

Connecting to VEP on the local computer or another computer isn’t really any different from within Dorico

1 Like

Dan,

I think John’s question was about setting up a two-computer VEP server/client setup using his old computer as the VEP server and a client VEP on his new, yet-to-arrive computer.

Certainly your advice on how one might arrange instrument assignments on the server makes a lot of sense.

1 Like

Sounds to me like the question is moving a playback template from single computer to networked VEP which I answered, but I’m probably blind this morning :grin: Regardless this question has probably been over answered already …