Crossfade Greyed Out

OK, I finally tried to reinstall C6.0.0. Without deinstalling 6.0.5, it didn’t improve the situation. I noticed that the version I had then was something like C6.0.0.329 (not sure about the 3 last digits).

Then I decided to throw manually everything related with Cubase and Steinberg (prefs, .plist, everything I could find) to the dustbin. Then I reinstalled C6.0.0. This time, it was really the C6.0.0 version. No other digit. Phaw ! Crossfades are back !!! I immediately updated to C6.0.5. Crossfades work flawlessly.

I hope it can help anyone in the same situation. Remember to save your key commands and prefs somewhere before… and import them back once the problem has gone.

I also started having this problem a while ago. Crossfade just stopped working. Have upgraded all the way to Cubase 6.5 with no change. Really seems like a bug got introduced somewhere along the line. Affecting very few people (?), but I seem to be one of them.

I also rely on crossfades a lot, so it’s extremely frustrating. I guess it will come back with a clean re-install, but that would be such a hassle, with all the plug-ins I use, it would mean hours of re-installing stuff, and putting things in the same places + making backups of media library, preferences and other things (+ going through the registry I guess). I’m quite afraid of that, since I have so many projects going on.

Really hope Steinberg would look into this?

I’m on windows 7, 64 bit, SP1, Cubase 6.5 32bit.

looks like my Crossfade stopped working too. I’ve been up and down the manual, and I’ve been searching the forum (with no luck) …It simply stopped working. I am a veteran Cubase user since Cubase SX. …I know my way around Cubase pretty well. I have no clue on how to reproduce this bug, but I can say that it stopped working in the middle of a session with clients. How embarrassing that 1 second it works, I make some small edits then try to crossfade and nothing happens. “X” doesn’t work either… I really need my crossfade back… anybody else have this problem? I’m on Windows 7 64 bit and running the 32 bit version of Cubase 6.5 … (I’m waiting for some of my plugins to release 64 bit versions before I jump into the Cubase 64 bit version)

nexis

Yeah, what you probably did was crossfade a part or two and then GLUED the parts back together? And then tried to use the crossfade on another section of the track??

If you GLUED a completed crossfade, which would make the track ‘whole’ again, then the crossfade function won’t work on the track anymore. As long as you don’t glue any of the crossfades, then the crossfade function will still work on the particular track.

I assume this is how it’s supposed to work because this is how it does work. Is this a bug? :confused:

mr.roos, aren’t you just saying that when you glue two event together then if they’re not actually part of the same audio clip, and not in exactly the right place for them to be healed back together, then they’re put into an audio part? Then, as you can’t cross-fade audio parts, you can’t cross-fade any more. Is this what’s happening?

Mike.

Mike, yes, I suppose that is what I am saying, although in my example these cuts and crossfades are performed all on the same original track. To do more crossfading then on the same track, if the crossfaded parts are glued, the track will need to be bounced.

So the work flow habits could/should be changed to keep the crossfader active, or the track can be bounced, two options.

The only question that remains is whether or not this is how Cubase behaved throughout all it’s versions.

Mr. roos - are you saying if you glue two parts together at bar 10, that the cross-fade won’t work on two different audio events (not parts) at bar 20?

I’ve also had intermittent problems with the x-fade being grayed out/not functional, but have never figured out a pattern. This may be the answer - I’ll have to take a look when I get home - thanks!!

I pretty sure we’ve ever been able to cross-fade audio parts (i.e. the container), and that’s a shame. People have requested it before.

But as for mixing parts and events on the same track, I’ve never had problems with cross-fades not working on the events.

One could select all events on a track and click ‘dissolve parts’ to see if that fixes it.

Mike.

Alexis, well, here’s what I see: If you make ONE cut in a track > no crossfade option. If you make TWO cuts > crossfade is an option. If you make THREE cuts > crossfade is not an option. So this is a pattern, odd number of cuts, no crossfade option. HOWEVER, this is not something I can duplicate everytime. Sometimes I can make one cut, I WILL have the crossfade option, but then making two cuts I will not, but then if I move the three parts, allowing a gap between each part, the corssfade will be available. This seems BUGGY, eh?

On top of this, then there is the cut/glue event. Gluing a crossfade seems to be the crossfade stopper, but then, pointing to a BUG, there are times when I CAN glue a crossfade and the crossfade will remain an option.

It seems weird that, as popular as the crossfade option is, that Steinberg hasn’t gotten back to this post a long time ago. I have learned to work with it but something’s wrong with the crossfade option, IMO. Watching out for the gluing issue is one thing, but the only thing that really helps when needing the crossfade option is the fact that you can bounce the track - this at least gives you a fresh start.

Hey Mr roos, Thanks for your suggestion, but it still doesn’t work for me. Crossfade simply stopped working for me …even in a fresh new project. If I start a new project, import 2 audio files …or record 2 separate audio files, then slide them together and try to crossfade, its still greyed out. …no can do… Any other suggestions? Like I said before. I am a seasoned pro at Cubase. I’ve been using it since Cubase SX 1.0 I know my way around the program and it is simply not working. I don’t understand why, but I believe there has to be a bug somewhere.

nexis

nexis, now that is weird.

Try this. Open a fresh project window, import something onto two different tracks. Go to the end of one or just cut one of them (drag the excess onto another track and mute), and then drag the other imported track into the first track (the one you just cut) and overlap the two. When you click on the ‘audio’ tab, the crossfade is greyed out?

If this is the case, then I am really lost as to what you are experiencing.

Try this, too. Open a new project, import a track or CD song maybe. Look at the audio tab, is crossfade greyed out? Next cut the track. Still greyed out? Then drag the split track away from the one closest to the origin. Look at the audio tab, is crossfade still greyed out?

I will say something here that may seem a bit odd, but I sometimes get the feeling that computer programs, Cubase in particular, seems to need a little encouragement at first. I know this sounds crazy, but I think the crossfade function is improving over here as I continue working with it - which is to say I think you need to get just one instance of the crossfade to work and things will improve for you. Hm, so if none of this works, then start really fresh and open one of the pre setup Cubase project windows, say, ‘Acoustic Guitar’ or something. (Make sure your output is connected via VST Connections.) Import a CD track. Click on the track. Slice the track and pull the sliced section away from the part that is closest to the origin. Look at the crossfade option? IS IT STILL GREYED OUT?

Hi Mr Roos,
I will try your suggestions and will report back…

nexis

Still no luck on the Cross Fade. It still doesn’t work and I can’t figure out why it doesn’t work… Anybody have any more suggestions?

nexis

Its now been almost a month of trying to get the Crossfades to work. I still can’t get it to work. No matter what I try, it is ALWAYS greyed out… Can someone from Steinberg chime in? I have tried everything and can’t think of anything else. One day, it just STOPPED working. I have been using Cubase for nearly 15 years. I am a seasoned pro with it. There has GOT to be a bug in here somewhere. I can’t say how to reproduce it except for the fact…

Step 1) start with a clean project
Step 2) Record audio onto 2 separate tracks (or) import 2 Wav files and insert them.
Step 3 ) overlap these audio files
Step 4) Try to crossfade either with the “x” shortcut or from the audio menu

Result) “x” does nothing and the Crossfade selection in the audio menu is greyed out.

I also checked my Keyboard shortcuts just to make sure that “x” is still asigned to the crossfade function.

I wonder if this has anything to do with any of the new steinberg plugins I purchased or updates to the pad shop pro have anything to do with this. I am using the Windows 7 64 bit and I’m using the Cubase 6.5 (32 bit version)

nexis

nexis, hi. Well, I can’t imagine at this point why your machine wont let you do this.

I can’t help but wonder, as you mentioned that you are a seasoned pro with Cubase, that you have somehow established a preference that eliminates the crossfade event - unintentionally, of course. In my case, I dont have many alterations within my keyboard commands, just a few actually. So maybe this is what you should look at. You can save your preferences, then reinstall Cubase, try the crossfade operation to see if it works.

You can´t crossfade events on 2 different tracks with the x-fade command.

Step 3 says …overlap these audio files… Obviously, you can only do that if they are on the same track :slight_smile:

nexis

Now maybe my definition of “overlap” is wrong, but I ’ d say, two events can overlap, even if they’ re on two different teacks…

Have you tried deleting your preference file’s ?

I’ll try this… Where do I find my “preference” files …so I can delete them :slight_smile: Hope this idea works…

nexis