Crossgrading from Cubase to Nuendo: Any Caveats?

I’m crossgrading from Cubase 11 to Nuendo. Unfortunately, the crossgrade disables access to Cubase (:angry:), so I’m nervous. I have hundreds of Cubase projects spanning Cubase versions 8.5 through 11 and can’t afford to lose them. Has anybody experienced trouble importing Cubase projects into Nuendo? [I’ve searched the forums and found nothing recent.] Are there any preparations I should take before installing Nuendo, such as saving my older projects in Cubase 11 format?

For the record, Cubase installers have never - not once - succeeded in migrating my preferences, so I’m well prepared in that area, with detailed install and config notes.

Any advice (or reassurance) is appreciated.

I’ve never been on Cubase, but one thought that comes to mind is to get the Nuendo trial key first and just try opening a few projects from various Cubase versions in Nuendo. That way hopefully you would see if something doesn’t translate well, and if/what you can do to make it work before you switch and surrender the Cubase license. You should get plenty of hours on the trial to try it out.

Off the top of my head I think “VCAs” will transfer differently (if at all) since they are coded differently for Cubase and Nuendo (or were). Other than that, no idea.

4 Likes

I am using Cubase and Nuendo for long but never really had any trouble going back and forth.
The only significant difference for music production is that Nuendo has the postfilter plugin whereas that does not exist in Cubase. The crossfade editor is simpler on Cubase. But can’t think of anything else really.
Besides, IIRC, nuendo license can run corresponding cubase, but maybe I am wrong, I am not 100% sure about this.

I don’t think this is a case any longer (if there were any difference at all). Nuendo and Cubase is basically a same software from a same code base, almost identical unless you are going to use those extra post related functions in nuendo.

@david_d
I think it is safe for you to cross-grade to Nuendo. If you are cross-grading and upgrading at the same time, you will face version to version incompatibilities but same version C to N or N to C is really safe. (However you need to be aware of version number weirdness, N8 = C9, N9 does not exist, N11 = C11, and so on. But at least Nuendo Vn license can run Vn-1).

2 Likes

There absolutely was a difference. Cubase’s VCAs were (are?) more like ‘linked’ faders controlled by a master fader, which functionally isn’t the same as a VCA. For anyone that’s interested in the difference they can search the forum to find out. But definitely a difference.

3 Likes

Thanks, everyone! That’s very helpful.

Sounds like the safest approach will be to upgrade all of my Cubase projects to Cubase 11 before crossgrading to Nuendo 11. I was hoping to avoid this, but it turns out I need to do some house cleaning anyways - my backup drive is out of space from all the orphaned audio files and, since the Cleanup feature was removed (ca. Cubase 9), the only safe way to clean up unused audio files is to backup projects, one by one.

Downloading the Nuendo trial is a terrific suggestion! I thought I saw a list of trial limitations somewhere but can’t find it now. If memory serves, playback is capped at 60 seconds, but otherwise, saves are enabled? If that’s the case, I should be golden. Heading over there now.

Thanks again!

No no. Nothing that silly. Last time I checked the trial ran out after a certain amount of days (after you activate the license) or after a certain amount of hours, which ever happens first. But it was a large amount of hours. And I think it’s fully functional with the exception of stuff like DNxHD which you have to pay Avid for to get it to work.

1 Like

Even better!

Thx!

I did just this, used the 60 day trial version first, and after a while decided that it was safe to crossgrade and surrender the Cubase license. Very happy with my choice. As people mention the two programs are almost entirely similar, however I really wanted the extra video and sound design features since I work with music for films but also sound design for theatre.

If you have a Pro Tools or another DAW’s license as well, an alternative could be to crossgrade from that instead (for a higher price), and get to keep your Cubase license.

2 Likes

That’s encouraging.

For the record, I simply need more monitor sources. I produce music in surround, but many of my favorite mixing and mastering tools (e.g., Metric AB, iZotope Ozone, iZotope Tonal Balance Control) are stereo-only. And then there’s the obligatory stereo downmixes. As such, I need seamless toggling between formats and monitor setups. It’s not impossible to do in Cubase Pro, but tedious and prone to errors. Multiple monitor sources will make life much easier.

It wasn’t on my radar, but now I’m also looking forward to playing with Dolby Atmos too.

Thank you!

1 Like

Update prices are higher. While Nuendo is still VERY cometetively priced for a pro software, you will enter a slightly more expensive route if you switch from C to N.

So far, I’m loving the 60-day demo of Nuendo 11. The only “limitation” I’ve encountered is a nag screen to register. Saves and exports have been 100% functional, which has allowed me to demo and stress-test all of the features I’m interested in.

Thank you for the help, everyone!

3 Likes