CSV marker export - subframes missing

Hi there,

as you can see in my subject, there is an issue (or maybe it’s a choosing!) when you export csv marker.
Opening your .csv files on (Excel or OpenOffice as well) on the timecode miss all the subframes and that’s horrible for who (as me) need to re-import with further information this markers on the project because all the markers are not anymore in time with the timeline as they automatically approximate to closer frame.

Here an example to be clearer:

I have a files and his lenght is the following:

00:00:01:10.17

start timecode is the following:

00:00:12:02.05

end timecode:

00:00:13:12.22

This, instead is the approximated timecode of re-imported marker:

00:00:12:02 start
00:00:13:12 end

as you can see all the subframes disapperead.

Anyone knows how to export as CSV marker even the subframes?

Thanks!!!

Subframes are not a very common thing, are they?
I would expect Nuendo to drop the info in a .csv export.

Subframes are not part of the specification.

Fredo

Hi guys,

thanks for your replies, than I see that in my workflow exporting CSV marker is definetly useless :frowning:

It should be part of the spec because my files NEVER line up properly with my CSV import. See attached screenshot, the red is the cycle marker I export, the blue is the imported one from the CSV file. They should be the same as the blue was created from the red. This is quite problematic when exporting several hundred tightly edited E-Learning files and using CSV import to name them as I then have to extend all of the imported cycle markers to match the originals; time consuming and super annoying. john.

In my experience all post-production work has been quantized to the nearest frame, automatically or by myself. So the solution here would be to just make sure nothing falls on sub-frames (when rendering / exporting).

The added benefit of this is that you’re then also compatible with other interchange formats that don’t recognize sub-frames.

n my experience all post-production work has been quantized to the nearest frame, automatically or by myself. So the solution here would be to just make sure nothing falls on sub-frames (when rendering / exporting).

The added benefit of this is that you’re then also compatible with other interchange formats that don’t recognize sub-frames.

Good points. I just finished editing another E-Learning project and this time I set the grid to frames ensuring that each edit would fall on a frame. All CSV imported markers lined up as they should. Thanks! john.

PS. I’ve edited this post as, upon further investigation, I found an error in my initial edits (I must not have had the grid on when I thought I did).

Well, your red marker is between frames though, is it not? Or am I reading it incorrectly?..

Sorry, it turned out to be what we call “OE”, short for “operator error”!

that’s not a solution when markers are being used for other purposes, transcription is one good example, you want the markers exactly where they need to be, at exactly the time-point where such and such was said, so that the CSV can be easily imported into software like NVivo; the text file and the original audio needs to sync exactly.

Would be simpler to revise the CSV export/import spec.