SLP 10 is phenomenal. It appears to be a real step forward, especially in its unmixing functions. One feature that I can’t understand is CSV Regions Export. Within a given project I can successfuly export the CSV file, delete the regions within SLP and import the previously exported CSV file without any problems. However if I do anything to edit the CSV file (I’ve tried dozens of work-arounds), the import fails to re-establish the regions. I suspect there is something about my old version of XL that ruins the formatting of the CSV file SLP exports. (I,ve read the relevant section of the SLP manual a dozen times.)
When I view a CSV file that has been exported from SLP 10 in XL, it is in a format that I have never seen. All the information is in one cell of XL, and seems to be in some kind of self-contained spreadsheet format.
It would be highly convenient is I could edit these CSV files, especially the “description” field. I can type (or copy and paste) a new description into the dialogue box that appears when “Time Markers and Regions” is selected within SLP. But this becomes very tedious when there are a large number of regions are present. Thanks for any ideas. / G
Markers exported from SpectraLayers in CSV format (from the Project > Time Markers and Regions) are Tab separated.
So when importing them in another software (such as MS Excel or in this example, LibreOffice Calc), make sure to check the “Tab separated” option:
When saving the CSV, your editor is supposed to keep the Tab separated format.
If so, then SpectraLayers will be able to import it back:
You have solved two of my problems in one post.
- The procedure you posted works perfectly and will save hours of my time.
- I may never have to use Excel again. Using OpenOffice was key to the solution.
Here are some screenshots that may help others:
Opening an exported SLP CSV file in my version of XL looks like this…
Saving it (I see no option to save it as a TAB separated CSV) and importing it into SLP shows up in SLP like this…
I won’t bore you with everything I tried to work around this.
My deepest appreciation / Greg
Hi @Gregory_McCollum - got a bit curious on this one, so thought I’d take a quick look.
I just tried exporting some dummy markers/regions in SL 10 Elements as a *.txt/csv file.
It seems to work well in Excel if importing/loading that file via the ‘Data’ menu in the top bar.
The result is nicely formatted (though columns are not in quite the expected order for some reason.!)
Note though I’m on the latest edition of Excel as part of Microsoft 365
But no matter, I’m happy you’re sorted anyway (with very capable and free LibreOffice (ex OpenOffice).!
About the column order displayed in Excel
Here’s the edit view in Excel of the *.txt/csv file (note the expression at the top):-
So, maybe a question for @Robin_Lobel
- are the columns being reported correctly from SL 10 when exporting as *.csv .? Or is this an Excel import error…? Or, is Excel actually ‘correct’ and maybe the Marker/Time region window in SL 10 is not laid out as it should be…?
Attaching the *.txt/csv file as exported from Marker/Region window in SL10 Elements:-
SL 10_TaB delimited test.zip (280 Bytes)
I think you are likely correct about my old copy of XL. I tried every CSV export option available and none of them would load into SLP correctly. Since Robin’s LibreOffice example worked I took that route.
But I am prejudiced when it comes to Microsoft. They somehow deactivated my expensive, store-bought copy of MS Office on my Apple laptop, so I try to avoid buying/renting their software.
Hello @Gregory_McCollum I completely understand.!
By the way, when I’m back at my machine I must try the import back into SL (from an Excel export), to see what happens - something I didn’t try earlier…
Just FYI. If I did nothing to the CSV file that was exported from SLP, it would frequently load properly. If I attempted to edit the file by simply editing the description field and saving, the edited file wouldn’t load properly. More often than not, zeros would appear in the timecode fields. I tried copying and pasting the exported CSV file into Notepad and Word in an attempt to understand what I was doing wrong. I’d copy and paste the file back into XL, but the timecode fields were still empty.
I am very interested to know how your editing of the CSV file works out. In the meantime, I will try to take a screenshot of how the unedited CSV file looks in my version of XL. My experience with LibreOffice is precisely the same as Robin’s screenshots at the beginning of this email chain. / Thanks / G
The order of columns is different in the CSV file than in SpectraLayers UI but that’s normal and expected.
FYI the upcoming patch 3 of SpectraLayers (coming by the end of the month) will improve CSV export/import by using a more standard formatting (comma separated values instead of tab separated values). That way all CSV editors (including Excel) will easily import and export without any specific setting or parameter.
If SLP starts exporting CSV files with comma delimiters as mentioned earlier, this may be moot. / G
Right - just read Robin’s update above; maybe whole problem over…
Lets see when next update drops.