cubae 9.5 audio transposing

Hi there, what I am looking for is a simple work flow process for converting a simple audio into a piano roll, where I can isolate the notes of the audio, and then use a different instrument to play the notes.
what is the best way to start this. I have a simple guitar melody we wish to convert to other instrument voicings.
Thanks

Converting audio to MIDI is a non-trivial problem. If you have a guitar track, then your best option is probably to get a Fishman Triple Play and re-track with that. If you are trying to solve the general problem of audio to MIDI, you might look into Melodyne. It’s vaguely possible to do this within Cubase, but you have to go thru an arduous process, and the results are kind of nasty. I tried it once, trying to turn a guitar into a saxophone. I even got clever using dual side-chained compressors to create an envelope follower. I made garbage. I got a much better result using a conventional keyboard controller, but it still lacked the expression of an actual saxophone. When I get an expression pedal for my keyboard, I’ll come up with a new lineup of crazy ideas.

Now, you could chop the audio into a bunch of samples, then warp the hell out of the samples. You still have a hitpoint problem. I once tried that with a shaker. It was also a mess. The best results came from single notes widely spaced in time. Again, I wouldn’t characterize the workflow of that experience as “simple”.

Good luck with whatever you try. If you can make it happen, I’d be interested in how you did it.

Thanks so much - ok then, a better option would be using a midi instrument like a piano, and then switching for different voicings using the primary notes made from the piano - this would be a better approach then - so what would be a simple start for this.
Thanks

Could you not just create an instrument track (say Nylon guitar) and enter the notes of your simple melody by hand? Once the notes have been entered you could copy them to different instrument tracks.

right - that’s a way too - thanks

Not sure if we are talking the same thing, but Jam Origin Midi Guitar is an excellent program that can take ordinary audio input and convert it in relative real time to midi. It worked very well with Sonar. I haven’t had an opportunity to work it through Cubase yet.

Thank You! I will look into that - Sounds like a cool tool.

Yeah, it looks pretty good. I would check it if I can’t get the same result via the Boss GP-10 that I’ve already got on my list of things to buy.

Balinas gave a very good option: the Origin Jam MIDI is a really nice tool. Another is to get one of these:

http://www.sonuus.com/products_g2m.html

It’s a good and pretty cheap way for guitarists to get MIDI into your DAW and/or turn your computer into a guitar synth.

I have not tried playing with a G2m, but I would think one limitation is that it is monophonic, so it won’t process chords. Jam Origin Midi Guitar2 is polyphonic, and for me is very accurate. Comparing my older GR-33, Boss GR-55 and Jam Origin Midi Guitar2, I find much less editing afterwards on Midi Guitar2’s interpretation. But I have talked with a few others who have equal success with the GR-55 and Midi Guitar2.

I think you can trial MIDI Guitar2 from Jam Origin for a significant amount of time. Definitely worthwhile doing that.

Yes, it is monophonic, but since the OP said he wanted to transpose a melody I thought it was worth mentioning. And I think you’re right about Jam Origin having a fairly decent trial period (30 days, i think?).

You are correct about the OP’s original question. I did miss that!

Thanks to all of you. Some gaps have been filled. I have a Roland GR-20 with a Goden synth guitar, which I am having some fun with. Also have a good keyboard controller - what this is pointing to, is just changing the way I think of structuring my work in Cubase.

The GR-20/Godin synth guitar is a great combination. I have the Roland GI-20 and a Godin SA. These older Roland MIDI converters will track external MIDI - hardware modules and VSTi - faster than the Boss GP-10 which I have and is great for COSM sounds but with unacceptable latency in the open position.

The Fishman Triple Play is simply the best at tracking speed and accuracy but at a cost and essentially limited to one guitar unless you have deep pockets.
The Jam Origin MIDI Guitar app tracks as well as if not better than my GI-20 with much less editing afterwards. Parameters can be set and saved as presets for a range of guitars. Having it as a VST plug-in within my Cubase templates is very cool.

Cool - thanks

You’re welcome.

The Boss GP-10 is actually ok for inputting MIDI into Cubase. The realtime latency is an issue when I practice parts before recording the MIDI performance. So, I use the GP-10 for COSM sounds but not as a MIDI converter.

Cheers.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the GP-10. I’m interested in the “re-guitar” possibilities. If I remember my research correctly, it should be possible to record a guitar part as 6 audio tracks (one per string), then feed these back to the GP-10 for COSM processing. The idea would be to clean up the raw audio before sending it back, or even to do weird things before sending it back. Do you know if that could be done for MIDI conversion? That is to say:

1. Record the 6 strings are 6 raw audio tracks, perhaps using a benign COSM sound on monitors only (to help judge the feel of the track).
  2. Clean up the 6 raw audio tracks to eliminate string scrape noises, unwanted ringing, static, hum, and so on.
  3. Feed the cleaned raw audio tracks to the GP-10 and get MIDI back.

Any latency in the audio to MIDI conversion would thereby be postponed until after the real-time performance. If the latency is consistent, it could be compensated for by shifting the MIDI conversion back in time. If the GP-10 tracking is inaccurate, this procedure wouldn’t be worth considering. But if it’s only a consistent latency, maybe it could work?

cool - and wow

I’ll look into this. It’s been a busy spell that will slow down after this weekend.

I’m clear on recording a separate MIDI channel per string (mono mode) but I’m not sure about recording 6 tracks of audio, one track per string. Take a look at this thread: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12830.0

The MIDI data per channel can be rendered as audio in Cubase. I’ve never reamped a guitar track, I’ll check it out early next week and will report back.

Cheers.