Cubase 10.0.20 Unusable - Constant Crashes Mid-Work

Hello!

Running Cubase Elements 10.0.20, with no plug-ins or anything else related to it installed except the software that comes with it in the download assistant, on Windows 10 with AMD Radeon as sound card, graphics card and processor, all updated to the most recent extent, and experiencing random crashes in Cubase; doesn’t matter if it’s a new, freshly created project or an older one, the program seems to be randomly crashing in the middle of working after anything from a minute to 20 minutes. These crashes do not create a crash dump but upon reviewing Window’s Event Viewer, I get this:

Faulting application name: Cubase LE AI Elements 10.exe, version 10.0.20.187, time stamp 0x5c9361dc
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version 10.0.17763.404, time stamp 0x490b0aeb
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000006e91e
Faulting process ID: 0x19bc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d528a31b7c49da
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase LE AI Elements 10\Cubase LE AI Elements 10.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report ID: d35460db-5931-43aa-ba1b-0f57d79bb451
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I.e., something about the way Cubase interacts with ucrtbase.dll keeps causing the crashes.

I’ve looked around the internet, and at this point know that I’m not the only one with this problem (even within this forum), and I’ve tried almost everything; I’ve reinstalled Cubase three times, I’ve updated all of the drivers, set all possible setting regarding both Windows energy options and Radeon (my drivers) options to the highest, uninstalled and reinstalled Microsoft Visual Studios and Cubase still crashes. Sent a support ticket to Steinberg but picked up the feeling that this won’t get resolved by them through my journeys to find a solution on the internet. This problem also occurred during my trial period but as I had a previous investment in Cubase I ignored it and hoped it would go away.

Would hate to give up on this program that I bought two months ago and have a lot of projects already in the pipeline for, but with the constant threat of another crash overhead, I just can’t work with it. Would appreciate any help possible.

Hi,

To be able to know what’s going on, we would need any crash dump file with more information.

Try to use Microsoft ProcDump to generate a crash dump file. Then share it via Dropbox or similar, please.

Finally got a chance to do it; updated to 10.0.30 just to see if it had been resolved, crashed within five minutes. Had to look up how to create a dump, no idea if this is telling or even usable but here’s the dump for that crash:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/py5c33t9c4jm90m/Cubase%20LE%20AI%20Elements%2010.exe.7600.dmp?dl=0

Just a fun fact, no response on the ticket that I know of; ironically, trying to access my requests for support on Steinberg’s page automatically logs me out.

Hi,

Could you reinstall Microsoft Redistributable 2013, please? Make sure you install it as administrator. Maybe I would recommend to reinstall Cubase (from unpack ZIP and as administrator) too.

Does it help?

Hi,

Little update: Reinstalled both as admin and it still crashes five minutes in.

Don’t actually know what to do at this point.

Hi,

Did you update to Cubase 10.0.30, please? Could you attach a new crash dump from Cubase 10.0.30?

Hello,

Yes, updated to 10.0.30 a while ago, still crashes, here’s the most recent crash dump:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4o2w5r8843pwde/Cubase%20LE%20AI%20Elements%2010.exe.1564.dmp?dl=0

Hi,

The crash is in Graphics2d area. What graphics card do you use? Could you try different graphics card drivers (once you will find the graphics card you are using, try to search for a suitable driver version here on the forum, please).