Cubase 10.0.6 Menu Drop Downs Freezing in Multiple Display Mode

Hi,

I am having the same issues with the drop down menus freezing Cubase 10.0.6. Running Cubase as an administrator did not work to solve the issue for me.

My setup is: Ryzen 1700X, 48GB RAM, 1070GTX, dual display (1-LG 34" Curved IPS Ultra-Wide and 1-Samsung 24" generic), M.2 SSD, SSD’s… so nothing to shake a stick at.

Cubase ran fine with my 30+GB template, in fact it was a pleasure and solid as a rock. That all changed in April (can’t remember the day).

I noticed that if I load any form of sizable template, the drop down menus freeze cubase for a random amount of time, but time enough to completely halt my production. Not good. In fact, I had to use Reaper for my last project because of this issue.

I did a RAM test. RAM was okay.
I updated my video driver, twice. Freezing still occurred.
I reformatted my machine, twice. First keeping my documents settings, the second not. Freezing still occurred.
I ran Cubase in Administrator mode. Freezing still occurred.
I held my plugin installs to iZotope, Play and Kontakt. Freezing still occurred.

So I dug in a bit more.

Seems as though if the piano roll and score editor are docked and, for example, the expression editor or staff editor dialogs are on the same display as the arranger/docked editors, then the drop-down menus work fine. If anything changes from that, then Cubase freezes over.

I thought that it could be my video card, but if it was, why would massive 3D models in Blender, Lumion and Sketchup work perfectly fine, including GPU rendering? Surely they are far more graphic intensive than the Cubase interface.

Is there a solution for this?

Do I need to ditch Cubase because it is simply not functional? It would be hard to swallow the $700+ loss.

Does Steinberg have an answer for this other than possibly purchasing an upgrade to 10.5.x?

Honestly, I am strongly considering ditching Cubase as much as it hurts. I need to produce not limp through with a crippled piece of software.

Thoughts and ideas are most welcome.

Thank you very much!

Charles Kryvenchuk

Hi all.

So I found the culprit. Windows 10 Update!

I performed my third reformat this morning and halted all Windows Updates immediately after install. I loaded all of my plugins/apps and took her for a test drive. It’s been an hour with my full template loaded and used with some down time thrown in for good measure. All of the menus perform smoothly within any window or dialog on any display. All that with other apps open at the same time.

Thank you Microsoft for what ever it is that you did that messed up my entire week last week! (extend that a few weeks since the last big update in early May I believe)

I am happy to once again have a Cubase that is solid as a rock.

Hopefully this post helps someone.

Now I am having the same problem. Dropdown menus freeze the whole computer. One CPU core runs 100% the other just 20% while freeze. Common Steinberg…