Cubase 10.020 crashing constantly Win 10

Hi all,

Generally, my Cubase Pro 10.020 installation has been very stable. However, yesterday I started a new project consisting of 10 audio tracks, and all of a sudden today this project starts crashing - with no crash dumps - after about a minute. Poof, and C10 goes down. I would love some assistance with this.

I have just updated the eLicenser and iLok Control Center. This didn’t help, however. Any other ideas would be more than welcome.

The project is not yet heavy with plugins, so I am at a total loss as to what is going on. :frowning:

/Magnus

Dont just update the e licenser app, run the Uninstaller from the install. Then install the updated version.
Delete any elicenser prefs as well. See if that helps.

Thanks shanabit, I will try that. Any other ideas anyone?

/Magnus

Hi all

Windows recently did an update and several times the pc has “hung” and it seems like it has crashed. However the hard disk light stays on and if left for a minute or so it suddenly rights itself. It’s most irritating but fortunately hasn’t happened in a session. Anyone else seen this?

Best Regards, Dave

Hi Dave,

This not my issue. Cubase - or at least this project - just sort of stops working for a couple of seconds (as if saving) and then just poof - vanishes, leaving “me” on the desktop…

/Magnus

Hi again,

Where can I find the eLicenser prefs?

Best,

Magnus

If it hasn’t been mentioned already, restating your Preferences (and any previous Cubase version) can often fix troubles like this. If you don’t clear previous version Prefs, V10 will base its new prefs on your old settings, which I suspect leads to error and instability. That’s my experience.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try this, certainly. I have now updated my RME drivers, too, but had yet another poof after a little longer than usual. I suspect the poofs may have to do with a certain Waves plugin, but I am not certain. I have now removed the plugin from the project. If it no longer poofs, I will take that as proof that the plugin caused the crashes.

Another thing: I have done quite extensive editing of the bass audio file directly in the project window, often zooming in to almost sample level, cutting out offending bits (the bass player has used some kind of digital fx box that has been occassionally clipping, which sounds awful; I have removed these clipping noises), then adding fade ins and outs for the events surrounding the removed piece. The removed pieces are often just ms long. Do you think this could be causing these problems?

/Magnus

OK, so I have now reset my preferences. And after some 20 minutes of spotless performance, I got a poof again, this time while making send settings from an audio channel to an fx channel with a Waves plugin.

The pattern is: after working fine for a while, Cubase suddenly freezes up and becomes irresponsive for say two seconds, and then - poof, just vanishes, landing me on the desktop. No crash log is saved out…

This is not manageable anymore. Please help.

/Magnus

Hi Bud :slight_smile:
What a pain.!! Ok so no expert here,you understand.
But have raised this with tech support? Sent the crash reports off to them? I think the reports contain all the data,they need to figure pain whats happening

Have you tried to do a repair of Cubase?

Hi Dave,

I haven’t contacted support. Problem is that Cubase crashes without saving out any crash logs, so there is nothing to go on there… How do I do a repair of Cubase? I wasn’t aware that could be done.

Best,

Magnus

Hi Magnus
From what I remember,I downloaded a fresh copy of Cubase,and it allowed me to repair without fully installing. Had an issue with Reverance stock reverb
Not had much experience with Cubase,sadly,about a year in.
Hopefully someone will be able to chip in,Or to post in the technical forum about this too

Dave, I may have to contact support about this issue, if I cannot get help here. It is so strange, since my Cubase installation has been rock solid up until now.

/Magnus

have you checked if you have a system recovery restore point from before the issue began?

There is a problem with certain plugins in C10. In my system for example Autotune 8.1 crashes when I open it. I found a workaround to put another plugin in the control room, the Microshift, and that stopped the crashes. Can be done with any SoundToys Plugin. There were some other plugins that crash, I think it was Softube. I never had a problem with Waves so far. May you can try if that works. The Microshift can stay in the CR all the time and will load up also next time u use Cubase, independent from the project, thats why I put it there. Good Luck