cubase 10.5.10 - new crash on exit win64

updated to the latest version - and now have 2 crashes on exit - running fine on 10.5.0

Faulting application name: Cubase10.5.exe, version: 10.5.10.120, time stamp: 0x5e2233f1
Faulting module name: Cubase10.5.exe, version: 10.5.10.120, time stamp: 0x5e2233f1
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000d2bca4
Faulting process ID: 0xee4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5dac83ba77331
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 10.5\Cubase10.5.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 10.5\Cubase10.5.exe
Report ID: 84211a05-dbf6-4d01-9f6a-8e50c50a956d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

and

Faulting application name: Cubase10.5.exe, version: 10.5.10.120, time stamp: 0x5e2233f1
Faulting module name: Cubase10.5.exe, version: 10.5.10.120, time stamp: 0x5e2233f1
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000012404e7
Faulting process ID: 0xee4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5dac83ba77331
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 10.5\Cubase10.5.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 10.5\Cubase10.5.exe
Report ID: bcaa1349-e132-42c7-9d73-02d4dea58108
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

appears late in the shutdown process - obviously no cubase dmp file created.

who is testing this stuff before release ?

Just an FYI… It is working fine with no issues here.

Regards :sunglasses:

have you checked your windows event log ?

No crash on exit here either.

did you check your windows application log ? You can’t tell it’s crashed until you look there

First of all, I normally don’t care to check logs for unnoticeable crashes, as long as I don’t see any shutdown problems, or don’t meet any follow-up problems. Why even bother, without facing any real life problem?

Second, I checked for error codes for your sake, and my last shutdown error message (searching for the classical shutdown error codes) happened in January, significantly before intalling the Cubase update, and not related to Cubase. And in the sources column of the Windows 10 applications event protocol, Cubase does not appear aynwhere recently here.

Why would I do that if I’m not having any issues?

But, I checked just because you asked. Nothing related to Cubase.

Regards :sunglasses:

…Because not all issues are noticeable directly on the desktop. The problem with crash on exit is that often it’s not noticeable to the user but leads to certain “system” settings not being saved correctly. These kind of crashes can cause problems that are not immediately apparent. Sometimes really subtle things - for example it will probably break VST Connect (if you use it)

In a more general sense the logs can tell you all kinds of things about your system and it’s one of the first place to check if you are having any problems.

You may or may not care - that’s up to you of course :slight_smile:

thanks for checking.

just updating this (zero response from steinberg support of course)

by a very slow process of elimination it’s something in default.xml that’s causing the crashes. The same file works fine in v10 Nuendo and Cubase (and cubase v10.5.0) - but something has changed in one of the preferences that causes multiple crashes on exit.

my default.xml file is pretty big and I don’t want to have spend the time trying to recreate it …sigh

You could backup defaults.xml and then use the one fron 10.0 or nuendo 10.

yes that works - as does a ‘blank’ default.xml - but my settings aren’t the same on both bits of software - gonna try to filter through and see what setting is actually causing the crash. They are massive files, however…and laid out very inconsistently.

odd that it works fine in cubase 10 and the previous version of 10.5 - SB obviously changed something.

I’m seeing other people having issues on shutdown (and startup) since upgrading. I wonder if they are all linked ?

They are massive files, however…and laid out very inconsistently.

Probably indicative of what is wrong at Steinberg. Non procedural program development management. Little/no iterative testing. Just bolting stuff on without an overall strategy. Change this. Change that. Change it again.

That would also lead to the problems we see with bugs reappearing in later releases after they were once fixed.

A good developer should learn from their earlier problems and not repeat them.

I accept that Cubase is a very complex program. That is not an excuse for these errors. It is all the more reason to be procedural.

I’ve been using Cubase and it’s earlier versions since the days of Atari, and not once have I been asked to be an alpha/beta tester. It seems Steinberg think they are above needing to test their code, but the facts indicate otherwise.

^^^ agree with that entire post 100% - and I’m in the same position, with cubase since '89 (coming from pro24) - it’s been a bumpy ride at times…and it’s bumpy now.

update - I found the dodgy preference for my crash:

took quite a while !

basically rewire seems broken - started a fresh thread