Cubase 10.5, 11 and 12 hang on start-up

Over the last week, my DAW of choice, Cubase 10.5, has been hanging/freezing on start-up, so that I can no longer use Cubase at all. I thought maybe my version of Cubase has somehow become corrupted, so I decided to start again from scratch, by downloading demo versions of Cubase 11 and Cubase 12, which were no better, and finally a new version of Cubase 10.5 from Steinberg.

Oh dear. That’s no better either. The following comments apply equally to Cubase 10.5, 11 and 12.

Just like my old version of Cubase 10.5, my new version of 10.5 hangs on start-up when initializing VST 2x Plug-in Manager. My Activity Monitor software says Cubase is “not responding”. Sounds from my 2019 Apple Imac computer’s internal hard-drive suggest it is still operating, but with no end effect. After about 9 minutes, sometimes Cubase 10.5 deigns to carry on initializing content.

At this point, a warning sign appears that VST Sound Library “Padshop” can not be found. Since I don’t use Padshop, I click “ignore” or “remove”.

Then it goes on to initialize content license checks. Occasionally it freezes on Licence 17 of 65. If it doesn’t do that, it freezes on Content Licence Check 22 of 65. Then Activity Monitor says Cubase is “not responding”. Once again, sporadic sounds from the internal hard-drive suggest it is still operating, but with no end effect.

Up to now, the attempted start-up of Cubase has taken over 12 minutes. So I wait.
20 minutes later, the situation is unchanged. So I turn the power off.