Cubase 10.5.12 Popping sound Playing and Stop

Since the update to 10.5.12, I notice that when I press play or stop, there is a popping sound. Also, when the cursor enters and exits an Event, the popping sound happens. It never happened on 10.5.11; and it happens with different brand mics. I have tried increasing the buffer size in Setup, but that makes no difference. If I shorten the event or cut it, same thing happens.

I use Cubase to create audiobooks, thus my track will consist of hundreds of short length events. Needless to say, this is totally unacceptable to me and my clients.

Hi and welcome,

What kind of sound is it, please?

Thank you for your reply

It’s a popping kind of sound. On closer investigation after making my previous post, the sound occurs when the play starts in a waveform above or below 0. If it starts near or at the center line, it doesn’t occur. When recording, the DAW will start writing the waveform without regard to the amplitude above or below 0; thus, when the cursor enters or leaves the event, the popping sound occurs.

I’ve been able to solve the problem by using the Auto fade feature. Project > Auto Fade Setting > check all the boxes and leave the defaults settings as is. No more popping :smiley:

Sounds like you have a DC offset in your files. There’s a function that removes these in CB Pro. This is not normal, it could mean a broken preamp/mike what have you. Music is moving voltages(AC), not DC.

Thanks for your reply.

DC Offset is one the things I tried before Automatic Fading. Unfortunately, it didn’t have the desired effect.