Cubase 10.5.20 crashes randomly on Mac

Hi! I´ve had many crashes lately, almost impossible to work with 10.5 atm. This time I freezed one track and Cubase shut down. There´s crash file included. I know someone is going to say: trash your preferences (again), that helps but it´s only temporary solution for me. In 20 mins or so it crashes again. Can someone tell me what do I do wrong. What is wrong with my preferences???
Cubase 10.5_2020-10-02-094456_Mika-iMac.crash (125 KB)

Hi,

On the forum, I found a workaround for crashes while freezing tracks. Before you freeze, Solo the track. Then freeze it. Then unfreeze. It works for users who had a crashes while freeze, as far as I know.

Thx Martin for your reply. But as I said I´m sure this helps for freezing crash problem but there will be another crashes caused by other issues I´m sure. Cubase is great daw I´ve used it 20 years now but 10.5 is soooo bugged this is insane.

Hi,

Could you share some more *.crash files, please?

Yes I will when they appear.

Cubase 10.5_2020-10-05-095422_Mika-iMac.crash (116 KB)
Ok here´s another one. I tried to duplicate track and Cubase shut down.

Again tried to duplicate a track:
Cubase 10.5_2020-10-06-100657_Mika-iMac.crash (119 KB)
Also I just noticed that one plugin is showing in red on my plugins list:

Hi,

Both crashes are the same. Could you please write more details about the steps you do? What track type is it (Audio/Instrument/MIDI)? What configuration? Any specific plug-in sitting on the track? Any Direct Offline Processing in use on the track? Anything else specific?

This means, this plug-in has been blocklisted by Cubase (because there is a bug in the plug-in and it didn’t pass internal Cubase test) and you forced Cubase to reactivate it to be able to use it. But you take the risk, it could crash.

Thx Martin! Both crashes were after trying to duplicate two audiotracks at the same time with recorded material in them. Maybe I have to try it only one track at a time. There were no plugins on the tracks. I´ll have to check if there is some update for that blocklisted plugin.

Hi,

Reported to Steinberg CAN-31970.

Hi,
I’ve tried to reproduce these crashes - no success. Could you provide a project file of the (or any) crashing project (as PM)? Not all audio will be necessary. A .spx file would also be great!
Cheers
Christina

Thank you Christina for reply. I will send them tomorrow :slight_smile:

I’m having the same issue w crashes. Been trying to open older Cubase files from 8.5 and the Same thing is happening! I’ve tried disabling all my Tracks/plugins. So frustrating. I’m also on a Mac.

Hi,

Could you share the *.crash file, please?

Mac: macOS Console utility > User Reports folder or Crash Reports in macOS 10.15 (or ~user/Library/Logs/Diagnostic Reports).

Cubase 10.5_2020-10-13-131149_Mika-iMac.crash (122 KB)
My daily crash report: Trying to create sampler track caused Cubase shut down. There was 14 tracks of audio in the project and they included only Steinberg plugins.

Hi,

Again the very same crash as all of these.

Thx Martin for your reply but I don´t really understand what you mean. I try to do different tasks in Cubase, then it suddenly closes and thats the crashfile I get. What do you recommend? Should I stop sending these dumbfiles and move to another daw?

Hi,

I mean, you always end up with the very same crash. So this area is somehow broken on your system. This only one area causes all your crashes.

Sorry, I don’t remember (too many different threads), if I already recommended you to try it in Cubase Safe Start Mode [Disable preferences]. If not, try it out, please. In this case, I would probably even go for trashing Cubase Preferences.
Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase X

If this doesn’t help, I would recommend to reinstall Cubase from the Full Installer.

Thx Martin. Yes I have disabled preferences multible times. I´ll try trashing or reinstalling next.

I trashed my preferences and that seemed to work! I have today worked with couple of projects and no crashes :smiley: I also disabled hyperthreading and that seemed to lower the average load a little bit. Fingers crossed I could finally do some work without losing my nerves.