Cubase 10.5 and 11.0 in the same system

Is it possibile to install upgrade to Cubase 11 while keeping version 10.5 in the same system?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

That is the default state of affairs. Your upgraded licence is valid for older versions of Cubase, whilst the older version stays installed unless you uninstall it manually.

I would wait for today’s eLicenser issues to end before you apply an upgrade to your licence. At the very least, I’d ensure that Maintenance in eLicenser Control Center runs quickly and without any errors before activating an upgrade.

Hi,

Your license will bu upgraded. So you will see Cubase 11 license only. But with Cubase 11 license, you can start Cubase 11, Cubase 10.5, Cubase 10…

The executables are totally independent, so you can have both (or more) versions installed side by side. The Preferences are migrated from Cubase 10.5 to Cubase 11 during the very first Cubase 11 start. Since then the preferences are independent.

Hi David,

thanks for your reply.
I meant if Cubase 10.5 and 11 can live in the same system as applications, or upgrading to 11 will overwrite 10.5?

With the past few major upgrades it was the default state – I’m just making sure before giving the new version a try.

That’s great Martin, thanks.
That was going to be my next question, since upgrading from 9.5 to 10 didn’t preserve many of my custom preferences with 10.0.
So, you’re pretty sure of that right?

No biggie, I’ll have a system backup ready before installing anything, but if those basics are not covered I won’t even bother to try out new version yet and I’ll wait. :slight_smile:

Hi,

The specification says, Cubase should migrate from up to 2 major versions down. So Cubase 11 should migrate from Cubase 9, but not from Cubase 8.5. If it doesn’t happened, there is a bug.

My Cubase migrated all preferences here.

worked fine for me - v11 pulled everything from v10.5 in - didn’t even do a full plugin scan. I haven’t found preference that didn’t migrate.

both versions run fine (still have version 10 / nuendo 8 / 10 / 10.3 all on this particular system all work fine individually)

I might just wipe everything and reinstall everything (Cubase Pro, Groove Agent 5, etc.) from scratch just to avoid any potential issues or messiness when I decide to upgrade.

Which isn’t going to be now, since apparently the pandemic has hit Steinberg’s servers.

Hi,

It’s not really necessary. Cubase 10.5 and Cubase 11 are two different executable files, as I said. So completely independent. Groove Agent 5 is the very same in both versions. There cannot be any conflict, it’s just the one.

As far as I remember, I haven’t seen any conflict based on two (or more) Cubase versions installed at one system.

That’s great to know.
Thanks everybody for answering. :slight_smile:

I should have made it clear that I was confirming the same position applied for 10.5 to 11 as with previous version upgrades. I managed to get in early on the Cubase 11 upgrade whilst the licence server was slow but still working, so upgraded my Windows 10 system from Cubase 10.5 Pro to 11 Pro this morning before I wrote my earlier reply.

I will leave Cubase 10.5 Pro installed for now - it doesn’t take much space. Once I am happy I have no further need for 10.5, I will uninstall it to help keep my system tidy.

I generally don’t want two versions of Cubase on my PC. I don’t like redundant applications on my computer. Just a personal preference.

So, I’ll wipe everything off and install 11 from scratch when I upgrade.

For me it’s less about also about how “strict” I am about PC maintenance. I don’t want to have to remove an old version after installing a new version, as that has the potential to cause problems. Or maybe not. I don’t know. I’m not willing to find out the results aren’t in my favor.

The only thing I’d hate losing are a ton of VST Plugin Thumbnails and custom VST2 Plugin names (manually edited into the XML Config file, cause a string of “VendorPluginName_x64” is unsightly to see in the browser).

All of the other setup stuff I can replicate in about 15-20 minutes, so not a big deal. Downloading the packages will take the most amount of time, Lol, but I suppose I can do that ahead of time, anyways :wink:

Plus, I tend to launch most applications from Search, and the fact that Cubase 10.5 will have been there longer (and 10 < 11) means that when I press Win + “Cub”, Cubase 10.5 is likely to be what I launch when I instinctively press the key. That will be annoying AF, and likely to happen often.

You know what, since they’ve basically taken the IK Multimedia route when it comes to packaging the installer… maybe I’ll just keep everything installed…

Otherwise, I’m going to have to run 25 different installers.

Not sure why they did that. It’s not an improvement over how Cubase 10.5 is packaged.

Is there any way to get a monolithic ZIP file that installs everything in One Shot like Cubase 10.5, but for Cubase 11?

Hi,

This is really interesting. I have heard so many complains about the large Full Installer and the fact you always have to download everything (the full package), even if you need just one part. And now, there are exactly the opposite voices.

Interesting for me…

Hi Martin, is it also possible to make a clean clean clean install, without any “migrations/settings” from cubase 10.5?

Hi,

If you would move all your older Cubase preferences folders out (to backup them) or delete them from the preferences folder, then you would get Cubase 11 factory settings.

Cubase Preferences folders are:
Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase X
Win: %appData% Steinberg/Cubase _X__64

The rule is, Cubase migrates from 2 major versions down. So Cubase 11 would migrate from Cubase 10.5, 10.0, 9.5 and 9.0. Not from Cubase 8.5 or older preferences.

It’s faster, and more convenient, to download one 30GB installer than it is to sit in front of the computer and attend to 25 different installers, since you often get throttled speeds when you try to queue up too many downloads of them at one time. Often, 1 file is like 18MB/sec, and 10 files is like 250kb/sec. The result of multi-queued downloads is often not mathematically clean :stuck_out_tongue:

And then, there is the actual installation of those packages, which are attended and must be done one by one - complete with many UAC dialogs, etc.

With the Cubase 10.5 installer, I start the download and go do something. I come back later and run main the installer, set a few paths, press install and walk away. When I come back, it’s done.

I don’t have to sit there and click 50x to get it done.

I can see how downloading everything to get one thing is a PITA, but those smaller pieces can be offered on the website - or everything can be listed under the monolithic archive in the Download Assistant. People should be archiving their installers, anyways, when the package is this large.

I will wait to upgrade when there is an Initial Full Installer for download on the website. I’d rather do that than have the redundant software on my machine. I’m a bit too OCD about that, unfortunately.

Great! Thank you very much.

Thank goodness. I have Cubase 11, upgraded form 9.5, 10, and 10.5 installed on my Mac Mini running Mojave. I also have an old MBP 2010 model I keep at work for personal stuff, and noodling around when I have downtime (which I have a lot).

I had my old copy of Cubase Elements 9.5 on my work personal computer, but I lost it in a hard drive failure. I was trying to reload whatever version of Cubase, but I knew that my MBP tops out at MacOS High Sierra, which won’t work with Cubase Artist 11. Thank goodness I can use my same license for 11.0 and the iLock dongle with C-Artist 10.5. I was almost going to go buy a copy of Cubase Elements just for the work computer, but I don’t use it enough to justify dropping $100 on it.