Cubase 10.5 changes exp. maps articulations on playback. [Fixed in C11/10.5.30]

Yes. I have already changed to Studio One 5 and I haven’t updated to Cubase 11 because of this. I do hope they solve it, but they don’t seem to care about their users and their program. They just keep adding features, do they work or not.

My impression is that Cubase Team is more focused in preparing a minimum of feature to justify the paid update than making their program work as well as it should in its price tag. It may be Steinberg’s policy as well…

However, I don’t know Cubase Team and maybe the problem is that it is too small for the kind of work they should be doing with its DAW. In any case, I hope they change their mindset for the better.

And I say “Cubase Team”, because I have Dorico and it couldn’t be more different. Dorico Team works incredibly well and I wish Cubase Team would learn how to take care of their users and their program like their Dorico counterpart does.

Of course, the moment they start doing things good again, I’ll be again in the Cubase environment. In fact, the worst thing of this situation is that I love Cubase, but I can’t use it as I need to.

PS I edited the message because it seemed a bit angry towards Cubase Team and it wasn’t my intention at all. I’m upset with the situation but I haven’t lost all my faith in them yet. I’m sorry for the hard words.

1 Like

Bumping this as well to express my annoyance. I’ve purchased 10.5 early on because I wanted to use a few of the new features. The non-working expression maps prevented me from doing so and I had high hopes that this will be solved when C11 comes out and a final maintenance update is provided for C10.5.

So far nothing. I can’t understand how a thread with >180 posts is ignored or at least acknowleged. It’s fine if this a difficult to find bug, but just remaining silent gives it a bad taste.

Please fix this!

The only solution, I regret to tell you, is to use a really excellent piece of software called Cubase 10.
Doesn’t have the new shiny stuff but seems snappier that 10.5 IMO. And ZERO EM ANNOYANCE!!!
Just be careful if you do install it that you don’t lose all your key commands, LE, PLE and preferences.
I just had that happen to me. :grinning:

The reason Steinberg hasn’t fixed this, quite simply put, is they can’t. 30 years of code is owning them!.

Hi all,

I have been told by the dev team that there have been improvements made for the Expression Maps in Cubase 11 and the upcoming Cubase 10.5.30 update.

Could those of you that updated to Cubase 11 already please report how the situation has changed?

Which issues are still showing up in Cubase 11 that didn’t exist in Cubase 10?

Thanks,
Matthias

2 Likes

@Matthias_Quellmann Thanks!!, that’s really nice to hear!
By Cubase 11, you mean the latest 11.0.10, right?

The changes have been made for 11.0.0 already. But it is always most efficient to talk about the latest version, so feedback on the situation in C11.0.10 would be appreciated.

I can at least confirm for now that 11 has same issues as 10.5 with respect to expression maps.

There is a workaround in which if you add a blank slot as the first one, the expression maps work. You may try, as a patch until you find the real problem, to make this as a default and transparent option to the final user. So Cubase automatically adds an empty slot at the beginning of the map, but you as user don’t see anything.

However, the problem may be bigger than that, especially when it has been around so many time.

And, again, I’m sorry if sometimes I may seem a bit angry with Cubase and such, but the truth is that I love the program and I want it to be perfect. So I hate when things that I use often stop working, like the expression maps or the modwheel for menus (now since 10.5 I have to click instead of roll the wheel).

However, I really appreciate your work and you showing up here. We need to now that the team is there.

@arieln kindly provided us with a project file and a video that demonstrates the issue of changing articulations when changing the position during playback in Cubase 10.5.20.

This issue has already been resolved in Cubase 11 and will also be fixed in the upcoming final Cubase 10.5.30 maintenance update.

1 Like

Hi there,

I can unfortunately confirm that the issue has not been resolved and still persists in Cubase 11.0.10.

I’m using VI Pro and Spitfire Audio LCO Strings + Orchestral Swarm.

It still always switches back to the topmost articulation once you press stop.

I got it to work for VI Pro (and now also Spitfire Audio) using the workaround with an empty slot at the top.

…I edited this post as I was talking about additional problems with Spitfire Audio’s libraries earlier, but that was my fault as I did not correctly set the SA expression maps up. So now I just have this one issue with both libraries.

Thanks,
Iven

If you experience issues in Cubase 11.0.10, please send me the exact reports, a project file with an example and the expression maps you are using via private message. We need to reproduce the issue in order to fix this.

Thanks!

This is interesting because I’ve been hesitating to go through the process of creating Expression Maps and templates for Cubase because I’m nervous about going through it all and having it not work and having to start all over again. But after reading this thread, I decided to try and create an expression map and test this out. I have the most basic setup… an iMac with sample libraries on external SSD drive. Nothing fancy or complex.

1. I created a Rack Instrument loaded with and instance of EastWest PLAY
  2. I added 5 instruments/articulations to the instance of PLAY
  3. I used the first MIDI Track as a track for the Expression Map
  4. I added 5 more MIDI Tracks for the articulations in my instance of PLAY
  5. I created an Expression Map on the first MIDI Track to trigger the different articulations loaded into the PLAY instance on the other 5 MIDI channels
  6. I recorded some MIDI Notes into a Part
  7. I drew in some Directions in the Key Editor just before the start of the notes I wanted the articulations to switch.

Results for me at least, are that during playback all the articulations switched as expected. When I stopped playback on a note, the current articulation stayed the same and didn’t switch again until it reached the next Direction. Clicking to another position in the MIDI Part caused the articulation to switch to the Direction under the cursor position. I’m currently using version 10.5.20. Maybe I dodged a bullet.

Hey there, try adding the emply slot also in the Articulations view.

Matthias is correct I can’t reproduce my bug related to moving in the project timeline where the expression map reverts to the top slot - and everything else after is goobly gob, is fixed. I have been 15 min+ testing my project and is not happening. That project is very small and I haven’t tried a large template so that is something I haven’t checked.
Also, note for people having issues - I would still advise to only use one midi channel per part.

I am not sure yet if the work around blank slot is still needed, but version 11 seems to be better. I am not sure what kinds of issues people are still seeing but I am not seeing them when using midi parts very carefully not to overlap but probably one requisite will be having a large template or many VI’s.

1 Like

Does it also happen to you that the sound of the previous articulation remains on the first note when the articulation changes?

And to remedy the problem, is it necessary to insert a ghost note with the new articulation (to be muted and hidden from the staff)?

No it hasn’t! :nauseated_face:
Still present in CB 12.0.20 - at least with BBC SO