Cubase 10.5 constantly crashes on certain plugins

Cubase 10.5.20 for 3 hours after installation worked well, save, loaded, played, various functions worked correctly. After 3 hours the project stopped loading, Cubase freezes. Fortunately, Cubase 9.5 loaded the project, I lost some instrument settings. The project was simple - 6 MIDI tracks on NI Kontakt. Nothing has changed in the computer, it is not connected to the Internet, only Cubase and NI Kontakt are installed. Unfortunately, I do not have time to analyze this problem, I am coming back to Cubase 9.5. (PC Windows 7, 32 GB, EMU 1616)

windows 7 is not supported for Cubase 10.5

In Windows 10, EMU1616 doesn’t work anymore, so I have to go back to Cubase 9.5 and Win7. I think this is the end of my updates, a waste of time and money.

I wish I could help you, but I built a new DAW for 10.5 and everything I need is running rock solid. The plugins that would not load I discarded, and I have so many it didn’t make any difference to me. I understand the frustration involved when stuff you paid for no longer works, but that is the way of the computer - things are always moving forward. I paid $3000 for 3DS Max years ago, and got no joy when it couldn’t be run anymore. 10.5 works rather flawless on my system, so I don’t have any advice to offer. PA plugins work fine. I don’t use McDonald’s plugins, so I can’t help there. Also have a couple of Softtube plugs with no issues. What I do have issues with is Cubase 7, which I upgraded from. Go figure?

Perhaps your choice of LTSB is causing an issue:

Please if anyone knows solution to this please let us know. I’ve had similar issue happen to me on 3 different projects.

Same problem here - please share the solution …

1 Like

same problem here…

Cubase version 10.5 is highly unstable with several plugins, and not only the ones you mentioned.

I am not sure if Cubase 11 has these issues fixed and its a shame that such a great product is not able to take care of the VST 3 plugins seriously limiting the abilities of music composers wanting to play with new instruments.

The support is also not available as the support page takes you round i9n circle and says for individual user support go to a dealer and the dealer page is a retailer for many products with no Cubase specific support or expertise often not having an email address to write to or a generic store phone number. So the online Steinberg support via raising a ticket is no-existent unfortunately.

The fix or workaround till Cubase becomes more stable, according to me is:

1. Find your dump file location. For example on windows it will be under:
    \Documents\Steinberg\CrashDumps with a .dmp extension

2. Ideally this file should be sent to Stenberg support via your logged in account and Raise a ticket option but unfortunately it takes you round in circles and there is no online ticket logging mechanism now where you can attach this dump file.

3. The .dmp file is a binary file so you cannot read it with a text editor and need a specific program. Download the software on Windows named “WinDbg Preview” and drag and drop the .dmp file on it. You will see a line on the screen with a link, click on it, that says:

For analysis of this file, run !analyze -v

1. The software will take some time and then print a stack trace that will still not be easily readable but will give you the names of the plugins causing an issue.

2. As I noted that Cubase 10.5 cant handle all VST3 plugins (even if they work the first few times perfectly alright on the same Cubase 10.5 version). Some of the plugins that crash are:

Wiggle by 2nd Sense Audio
SynthMaster by KV331 Audio

You will have to create a new project, import all of the tracks and disable the plugins causing an issue and be creative to replace those sounds with something else.

Issues could be the way the plugins are written and affect Cubase but at the end the VST3 plugins that work at times on Cubase stop working and kill your project you have been working in for a long time and are at an advanced stage of production.

1 Like

There are no issues with Cubase. It is the most perfectly designed DAW ever and has a stability second to none.

1 Like

That is exactly my own experience on my Mac as well. I loved Cubase 9.5 and made the jump to 10 Pro I think, but from version 10 on, it all went down the hill very quickly. Cubase 11 is a completely broken experience for me, despite fresh installation, preferences reset, disabling VST3 suspend and GPU accelleration, this thing keeps freezing, crashing and having annoying little bugs that never have been fixed for years. I’m just mad at this point, because 6 months and two maintenance releases later, I still can’t use my damn Cubase 11 productively.

I had the same issue with the DAW crashing and I resolved the issue by removing all “Halion” vst and “Halion” named files from my computer. Alternatively, on install of a full version of Cubase, disable the installation of “Halion” vst and you should have success running your DAW. It’s been a long night but if you have questions or see typos — lmk