Cubase 10.5 crashes on plugin GUI opening

Hello,

I am experiencing an issue that causes Cubase to freeze when certain plugins are viewed. Some 3rd party plugins will open GUIs that are a black screen and cause Cubase to freeze until I force quit. Audio playback still works, as does midi input but I cannot interact with the program. This was not an issue at first (I was able to create entire songs without freezes) but as of 3 days ago this bug occurs on every project I’ve opened.

System: Windows 10, Ver. 10.018363, 64-Bit
DAW: Cubase 10.5.30
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER

Here are two plugins that have caused the crash when the GUI was opened:

• Scaler 2 (both .dll and .vst)
  • Fabfilter Pro L-2 (both .dll and .vst – this one sometimes crashes but not always)

After searching around, I saw some folks had similar issues and found it was graphics related to their Nvidia cards. I updated my card’s drivers and still had the issue. It doesn’t look like my PC has an integrated card to use instead either so I think that’s off the table too.

If anyone has any potential fixes or things to try I’d greatly appreciate it. These two plugins are a big deal in my current workflow. I’ll update this post with other plugins that trigger the crash as I continue to test.

Thanks.

Hi and welcome on the forum,

Could you attach the *.dmp file, please?
Win: Documents/Steinberg/Crash Dumps

Thank you for responding,

I checked the crash folder and it only has one crash file from 3/7 (before the problem). I’ve attached it to be thorough. Is it possible this issue, due to its nature, does not generate one?Cubase 10.5.20.179 64bit 2021.3.7 1.05.46.021.dmp (1.4 MB)

Hi,

Sorry, I’m afraid, this could be totally different crash. We just don’t know.

As you have NVIDIA, please try this:

• Uninstall the NVIDIA driver.
  • Download the latest Studio driver version from here.
  • Start the installation (as administrator).
  • Don’t install the whole package, use the Custom (Advanced) settings.
  • Disable everything (don’t install NVIDIA Experience, PhysX, etc.), keep just the video driver enabled.