Cubase 10.5 - When going into midi drum editor, Cubase crashing

When I try to edit a midi drum track with the midi drum editor, it crashes Cubase.
Never had this issue before and was working fine 2 DAYS ago…wtf??
I tried updating to 10.5.3 just to see if it would solve anything, but it doesn’t.
Also, there have been no windows updates in the last 2 days…
I can go into all of the other midi editors just fine…only opening drum editor causes the crash.
Attached are a screenshot of the error (nice that Cubase is bringing back the old school windows crash pop up…at one point, there were probably 50 that popped open before it crashed) and one of the crash logs…
Please advise.

Cubase 10.5.30.365 64bit 2021.8.23 18.56.12.022.dmp (824.1 KB)

Just to add something I tried.
My default is to open the drum editor in a separate window.
If i change it to open in the lower section of cubase, it does open it without crashing, but, as you can see below, there is no midi info that I can edit.

Hi,

Cloud you try in Cubase Safe Start Mode [Disable Preferences], please?

I disabled preferences and it didn’t crash the next time I went in and used the drum editor.
I played around and if i load my preference file, i can open and close projects and it seems to work OK. But once I exit and reopen Cubase and try to open a midi drum file, it’s crashing again.
So obviously it’s something in the preferences.
I’m hoping I don’t get the lazy answer of delete the preference file and start over using the process of elimination to figure it out…
I uploaded the crash file with the hopes it’ll tell someone exactly what the issue is.
And I’ll restate, NOTHING has changed in my preference since I upgraded to 10.5 a year a half ago…why would it just suddenly start crashing using the drum editor??

Thanks for the help! :no_mouth:
Definitely going to move off Cubase in the future…6.5 was rock solid…then went to 10.5…not so much…and I can’t even get someone to give me an answer on why I’m suddenly having this issue…

Hi,

This is not official Steinberg support channel, this is users’ forum. If you ask for an official support, rise a ticket in the Support area of your MySteinberg account, please.

I would recommend you the “lazy” solution, to delete your preferences, but you refused this at the very first place., If you don’t want to be lazy, you can backup your references folder and delete it. Then you can start Cubase to create the fresh preferences. Then quit Cubase. Then copy one of the most important preferences file from the backup to the current Cubase preferences folder. Start Cubase and test if it crashes. If not, quit Cubase and copy another file. This way, you would find which preferences file is causing the crash and you can get most of your preferences back.

Btw, the crash is in the Quantize Panel area. Do you use custom Quantize Settings/presets by any chance?