Cubase 10 and 10.5 problems with Pianoteq 6 & 7

I haven’t started my DAW (or computer) in a while. Today when I started Cubase I fired up a project that use Pianoteq VSTi. When loading the project I was notified that the plug-in was not found. I checked the blacklist and there it was. I tried the following:
Re-setting the Cubase plug-ins cache manually (deleting: Vst2xPlugin Blacklist Cubase.xml, Vst2xPlugin Infos Cubase.xml, Vst2xPlugin SearchPaths Cubase.xml, vst3blacklist.xml and vst3plugins.xml in /~Library/Preference/Cubase 10/). Doing a full rescan of plug-ins. Uninstalling Pianoteq 7 and reinstalling it. Rebooting. Doing another rescan. Updating eLicenser. Trying Cubase 10.5. Manual reset of plug-ins. Updating Cubase 10.5 to the latest version. None of this makes any difference. However, I can tell you that Pianoteq 5 (which is really old) works! But both Pianoteq 6 and 7 does not work. There are plug-in files in both /Hardrive/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST and /Hardrive/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3. Pianoteq 6 & 7 is listed as “Not a valid plugin-in” in Cubase 10.5.60. I have verified my plug-in licens is correct (updated licens as well) and that the plug-in works stand alone.

My OS is MacOS 10.12.6.
(I’m running on an old Intel Mac so I can not update the OS)

Help me Obi-Wan, you’re my only hope.

Hi @Arlaharen !

I am about as far from Obi-wan-kenobe as can be, and that’s probably why I’m not able to give a great answer to your query …

What I can tell you however that maybe will be helpful is that PianoTeq 6 and 7 work in my Cubase 11 Pro.

They eat up a *load of audio performance it seems, unless I almost decimate the polyphony within the PianoTeq control window, but I think that’s probably a different story. (?).At the minimum I can fire up the Steinway D Grand and listen away. Haven’t tried recording into it, though.

I feel your pain greatly, for what it’s worth, and if I can help you in any other (= real) way, please let me know!

The strange thing is that it has worked previously. I booted up my computer and suddenly it didn’t work. Unfortunately my backup (TimeMachine) was broken so I can not use that. I can unfortunately not use Cubase 11 since the Mac is too old.

So PianoTeq 7 is 64-bit vst3, but blacklisted.

Could it be possible there is a 32-bit version of that or PianoTeq 6 floating around that is confusing Cubase?

I tried to remove the regular VST-files. But no difference. According to Cubase the VST3-files are not used. They are not recognised as plugins.

These are blacklisted and can not be reactivated (both are listed as VST 2 and 64-bit):
/Library/Audio/Plugin-Ins/VST/Pianoteq 6 STAGE.vst
/Library/Audio/Plugin-Ins/VST/Pianoteq 7 STAGE.vst

The VST3-files are not recognized at all. I tried to remove the files that are blacklisted and do a manual reset. But the VST3-files are still not recognized.

“Solved” it by upgrading MacOS to the highest compatible version. Can’t update to a modern version, but upgrading to Mojave did the trick.