Cubase 10 - Battling Tempo Detection !?

Hello,

I have a project that wasn’t recorded to the grid. My client’s drummer just quit her band, and she wants me to replace/re-record the drum tracks(I’m a drummer). I know how to let Cubase detect tempo, and create a tempo track. I also am aware of having the project sync to the tempo track, ect.

My problem is that, for whatever reason, Cubase is analyzing a certain section of the song differently, even though it’s the same tempo. The arrangement gets a lot busier in that part of the song, and Cubase assigns a very different tempo to that section, with a cut time meter. When I then go and try to select a specific tempo, all is find until it gets to that part of the song, then it slows down emmensly.

Anyone have a clue what’s going on here, and moreover, how to fix this?

Thanks,
Marc

I do run into this from time to time. Complex transients can cause big tempo changes or half-beat offsets. I’ll do a detection and see how far it gets. Then I’ll cut the event at the end of the good section, manually time warp through the trouble section, cut the event again at that point, and then re-detect tempo from that point on. Repeat as necessary.

Hmmm. I think I tried something similar. Instead of cutting the event I merely pulled the event smaller to left, right before the problematic area. At that point Cubase simply wouldn’t do the calculation. Again, no clue yet what’s going on.

why dont you just render the track stems, reput into a fresh canvas and use superior drummer to make the drums.
add a tempo track to have full control over the BPM

Cubase’s tempo detection never worked for me either.
I use cubase’s beat calculator to tap in the tempo.
Only issue I didn’t figure out why it never works for 6/8 time signatures , works ok in 4/4 tho

The client wants a real musician on the recording (me).

Never tried beat calculator. There main problem I’m having is when the song changes to a slower 3/4 groove. Cubase picks up on it fine, then in the middle of that groove it calculated differently and the “click” gets way off, then back on track. There’s also a breakdown fill section, that the band speeds up a bit on,…and the click totally gets off there, and eventually back in.

Since I have to re-track these drum tracks, I literally HAVE to get a click track conducted, AND I’d like the project to follow a “locked” tempo so I want be trying to fluctuate in exact time with the band’s live tempo variations. I’m sure the Cubase guy “Greg Ondo” could likely sort this out,…but none of his tutorials address this scenario.

Why not record a click track of something like a cowbell in time with the free running audio and ask cubase to do its tempo detection stuff to that. Works for me. Mostly. The tempo detection gets easily confused with complex audio.

Great minds! Lol… I did just that earlier today. Problem is every time it gets to the tempo change with a 3/4 time, the calculation and consequently the audio “click” gets completely off, only to find it’s way back as soon as the original tempo and 4/4 grove resumes.

I was really hoping to “real in”, so to speak, the band’s tempo fluctuations, so it will be easier for me to record the new drums tracks. I had considered just using my newly recorded click track (I recorded to the band’s tempo variations) to play to,… but that will do nothing really to help me keep up with the tempo variations.

If I could figure out a way to edit Cubase’s tempo detection in regards to rhythmic timing, not tempo, I believe I could then make it work. Not even sure this can be done. I’ve already spent the entire freaking day trying to figure this out, to no avail.

Do you know if we can have Cubase detect tempo for only certain sections at a time? I’ve tried making a duplicate of the drum overhead track, then cutting it right before the tempo and time change, and using that for the tempo decection,…but Cubase just somehow analyzes the entire track again?

I’d use the time warp tool and do it manually - easy, quick, accurate - just look at the waveforms and drag the downbeats so they line up.

You can do it bar by bar, inserting tempo changes on each bar, or my preference is to just average it out and try to see how long I can go before I need to insert a tempo change, trying to minimise the number of tempo changes.

Use the tempo track editor to change time signatures as required.

Are you saying that the existing tracks slow down because you manually altered the tempo track? If so, maybe check in the pool to see if “musical mode” is checked.