Cubase 10 extreme real time peaks

Friends, the same thing happened to me, you just have to go to your nvidia video card and configure the screens with the default color and 3d option of nvidia and that’s it, the problem with cubase 10 stops happening

salute!

Can you describe this a bit more detailed? What do you mean by 3D option. and what with default color.
Thanks

I think he is talking nonsense!

Ive scanned this thread, and I dont feel like this has been resolved in any meaningful way.

Just got a new 10.5 pro license, installed on clean win10 machine with all updated drivers. 30 year net/sysadmin here, custom builder, yadda yadda. I troubleshoot environments like this for clients, or build them.

Using focusrite 2i2 gen2 audio interface. i7 7800x CPU @ 4.1gh, 32GB DDR4, 2x SSDs Nvidia 1080ti
Cubase 10.5 is stock. I have not added anything to it other than what was bundled with my license.

I can fire up a blank project and load only Halion, or (Ive just found - will continue testing later) Groove Box SE, and any instrument or patch within them. Single short stabs or short/rapid decaying sounds cause CPU spikes of about 50% (according to internal meter). Long sounds or 3-4 sounds of any kind together, and it will sometimes randomly spike to 100% and drop/glitch.

So I start looking at system logs and outputs, and I notice 1) cubase is only using 1 CPU and complaining when it is overutilized. 2) external monitors show me, indeed, 1 CPU is being used, and that CPU is hitting about 20-25% usage(?).

Cubase internal meter says 75-100% CPU. External meter says 1 cpu, 20-25%. (Hardware vendor’s monitoring software)

EDIT: deleted the link to the file that shows you how to LIMIT cores, not use more of them. My mistake.

Ok. I went ahead and made a ticket because as Ive done more testing, I see this issue affecting MOST FX and instruments inside Cubase 10.5, stock.

I definitely see 1 core, with 32 threads, being allocated to Cubase, and under heavy load that resource level regularly tanks. This wont work.

I ran the multimedia threading test app, and that confirms – Im only allowed 32 threads. I see this is probably yet another microsoft issue, but for now I am unable to use or obtain a mac and would hope there is a workaround or some sort of mod that can allow these threads to be mounted on the CPU in some other way. I have a 6/12 core system, so the “more than 14 virtual cores” issue does not apply to me.

Will update this thread when I hear back from support. I am fairly frustrated here, and I do not see this as being steinberg’s issue…

Ahh, this is typical for my life as a sysadmin. I solve 90% of my issues myself. =P

Figured it out, in my case anyway.

Everything in my build was stock, and cubase 10.5 and all sub-components were installed as 64bit.
One would assume cubase’s default processing precision, being installed on a x64 OS on all x64 hardware would, of course, also be 64 bit. It was not. It was set to 32bit floating point, and audio priority was normal. ASIO Guard is normal.

I boosted audio priority and enabled 64bit precision, and now I rarely top 10% CPU no matter what I load or play inside cuabse. Have’t had a single issue in 2 hours of playing, and Ive been throwing lots of live, realtime stuff at it.

Will update if I see this again. Hope this helps someone else, who might have missed this because it is so obvious, lol.

Update:

It hasn’t been perfect. After posting the above, I worked with cubase for many hours and did some live recording which was mostly great. Had a wonderful time. The issue never came back the way it was originally, but I did see CPU spikes again which generated at least one small pop and threatened to a few more times. The issue is suppressed, but it lurks.

So I rebuilt my workstation and stripped every driver and component that was not immediately necessary, and step by step, rebuilt each item and tested for ASIO/cubase issues. The PC Im using is empty aside from cubase 10.5, and now Ive introduced the VIP software that comes with my Akai Advance49 controller, which is a 64bit VST host. So far so good.

Looks like cubase/ASIO and/or microsoft isnt going to make this easy for right now, at least until someone patches something to improve this, so Im using high ASIO guard, high priority on my CPU, and the most stripped-down windows10 build I can manage. I recorded 5 hours of live ambient sets and built some tracks last night, and I might have heard a pop ONCE when I got too high and mashed everything for fun.

This is very worrying as i am thinking about upgrading from 8.5 to 10.5… I will be keeping an eye on this one…

Hi guys. I have been following this post closely and I have to say that finally it worked out!!.
I have been using cubase since sx3 versrion so I have dealt with many issues since then. The most solid and stable version I’ve ever worked with was 8 and almost 9.5 Very excitied when steinberg announced the vocal alignment feature in version 10. So I decided to upgrade because I work a lot with vocals. The upgrade, as many other users was a nightmare (thanks steinberg for releasing versions poorly tested). They take advantage that users devote to cubase as a great DAW but from version to version it seems very faulty and other DAWs (as reaper or Pro Tools) are more bulletproof piece of software. A couple of weeks ago I upgraded again to cubase 10.5 hoping that all these problems were a bad dream (you’re welcome steinberg for another 60 €). The problems still were happening OMG!!
Anyhow, that I’m blathering on this a lot :stuck_out_tongue:, what I did is

1. Shut down PC
  2. Switch on PC and entering BIOS
  3. Go to advanced mode
  4. Look for CPU options
  5. Disable Hyper threading
  6. Save settings and exit
  7. Restart and… It worked!!

I have to say that my PC is an i7 2600K 3.4 gHz, 32 GB RAM DDR4 and Radeon R7 360 2GB Graphic card (very basic). This type of CPU has hyperthreading that is cool per se but when it comes to cubse it seems that multi-processing allocation doesn’t get along very well with cubase and it is trying to demand another 4 logical cores and triggering the real time peakes with crackles and dropouts all the time when using Kontakt, HALION, etc.
For example: I had loaded in kontakt NOIRE instrument and Emotive strings and only with those two instruments at the same time I was having dropouts as a regular basis.

So I came out with a conclusion. It is better to set up the same physical cores to match cubase processor tasks.

I upgraded as well graphic card drivers to the latest version, switched 32 bit float precission to 64 bit and I have no longer all these problems although I think that the main issue here was the Hyper-Threading.

Hope this helps you guys because this is really annoying.
I recomend as well to try https://www.fidelizer-audio.com/ I got better results because whereas the PC is running it stops all the unnecesary background services that drops CPU power until you restart the computer that everything remains the same.

Kind regards

1 Like

I just picked up a new focusrite scarlett 8i6 gen3 interface which claims improved ASIO performance in windows, inside DAWs, over the gen2 interfaces. I will update later when it arrives and confirm/deny if this improves latency at all. I am replacing the 2i2 gen2 interface.

It’s odd. I have v10, and was working on a few projects, and upgraded to 10.5.12. Then at some point within the last month or two really big issues with the exact same projects that were fine before; not just pops but complete cutouts, high CPU usage (within Cubase anyway, outside Cubase it’s not overloading). Core i7 8th gen, 16GB RAM, Win10 1909. I went back to 10.40 and it was much better. Supposedly 10.5.12 had fixed the big ASIO issues but definitely not for me. Now getting issues even in 10.40. I have an NI Komplete Audio 6 (G1) and tried a Behringer UMC204HD, same issues.

Err, I’m still waiting for my new Scarlett 8i6, but I guess… I’m also still having trouble at sometimes seemingly random times. I’m in contact with support, as well, and they are working on this with me. So far no solid direction…

I can… Once again sometimes have an empty project, 1 instrument, 1 fx, and I’ll see 100% cpu peaks and hear pops/cuts. Other times it’s as low as 5-10% with that same build.

ASIO guard on/off/lo/med/hi sometimes makes it better, sometimes worse. I’ll just keep working with support I guess, and hope a faster audio interface will maybe improve it or something.

Edit: missed the post about disabling HT above. Yeah. Have been using Cubase since sx2, so I know what you mean. I’m not willing to entirely disable HT on this workstation at this moment, but I might try it to see if I can replicate your result later on. This would confirm a hyperthreading or load balancing issue of some sort, I wager. If I test this, I’ll confirm result here and with support.

OK, this is rather embarrassing. After many, many hours and days trying to find out what’s gone wrong with my latency on my Surface Book 2 laptop (i7 8650U, 16GB RAM) I was watching a video on using Intel XTU (extreme tuner) and saw the fellow go to the battery icon in the system tray and adjust the system performance there. This is separate from the Control Panel power profiles; I had set things there already, but for some reason my Power Mode in this battery tray icon was set to the absolute lowest “Best battery life” instead of “Best Performance”. Maybe it did that one time when I was on battery doing other things. So when I moved the slider all the way to Best Performance all my issues went away. CPU in Cubase was being pinned, complete and long audio dropouts, version 10.5.12 and 10.0.60. Now it’s around 30% on the same project.

Of course this only helps someone who’s using a laptop, but thought I’d share my embarrassing but very helpful find.

'Glad you got it sorted!

With computer performance issues the solutions can be very tricky to solve, and sometimes the answer is ‘hiding in plain sight’.

Have fun, as they say. :slight_smile:

The primary issue with cpu spikes still exists. The user above had a power management issue that is unrelated.

I’ve now been on a new gen3 focusrite 8i6 interface for a couple days, and the random cpu spikes still occur. It seems better than with my older, slower gen2 2i2, and after 10+ hours of composing and experimenting, I’ve only heard an audio dropout one single time. The only troubleshooting step I have not done is to fully disable hyperthreading in my BIOS, but I’m not doing that at the moment and will only do that as a last resort.

I don’t currently have, and never really have had massive problems with spikes on any of my systems. Generally crap performance on OSX all round - well of course I’ve grown accustomed to that!

However I have had one particular spike on my system which has driven me nuts for the past six months or so and is totally repeatable!

After a couple of minutes of opening Cubase I get single massive spike which cuts out playback and pins the meters for a couple of seconds. Every single time.

I’ve had all the CPU utilities running to try and see if it was another app causing it, but when it happens there’s nothing else going on but Cubase.

This last week I shut down using the Control Room which I had temporarily been using just for Sonarworks, and lo and behold, that particular spike has now gone…

This issue literally caused me to switch to Studio One 4. Zero CPU spiking issues since I made the switch. I tried every suggestion I could find and nothing worked. It’s not your computer. It’s Cubase. Don’t believe me. Install the demo for Studio One 4 and see for yourself.

It is indeed steinberg’s ability to develop stable code using the hyperthreading scheduler (microsoft, intel, etc) because the scheduler has been tweaked to prioritize other processing, and the OS limits multimedia multi-processing. The issue is published elsewhere and many people are aware of it, but steinberg stubbornly clings to attempts to CONTROL the information so that they can have their cake and eat it, too.

DISABLING virtual cores typically solves this 100% on systems that have no OTHER issues causing overloads. I havent had a single pop in months after turning them off, just like older versions. If steinberg were HONEST ABOUT THIS and pinned some posts to do with it, 100% my anger wouldnt exist because I would have bought my new 10.5 pro license FULLY INFORMED about the problem.

Hi. Curious where you guys are checking for the 64 bit vs 32 bit thing for running Cubase.

Thanks.

Within Cubase itself: Studio → Studio Setup → VST Audio System → Advanced Options

I have made three exact replicas of finished Cubase projects in Studio One 4.6, same tracks, same events, same plugins everywhere, same bussing. While on Cubase it’s averaging past the 50% mark, on S1 it’s around the 35% area, no cooling fan buzzing, nothing.
Also in S1 you can check CPU usage on a per-plugin basis and act accordingly. If you can do that in Cubase I’m not aware of it.
In fairness to Cubase though, S1’s freezing track implementation is basic and weird. I hope they improve this in future versions.