Cubase 10 STILL crashing when loading new projects (Disk Overload)

Hi!

I believe I posted about this issue way back when it started for me in C9.5, and with every update I’ve been hoping for a fix. Now, on 10.0.30, still:
It seems the disk cache isn’t purging after closing a project, causing a crash on the next project open.

I.e. When I open up Cubase and open my first project everything is fine. But when I close that project, the disk load meter remains as full as when the project was open. Obviously, this overloads the meter and crashes Cubase when I want to open my second project (unless they are both empty or very light - say 1 or 2 tracks - in which case it happens when opening the third project). Basically I can only open one project each time I open Cubase. However, it only rarely crashes when I’m working in a project.

Any input appreciated.

My computer isn’t the strongest, but - although it doesn’t help - that doesn’t seem to be the source of the problem, since I can still open one pretty big project at a time. Specs below.

MacBook Air • macOS Mojave 10.14 • 8GB RAM • 1,7GHz i7

Hi,

Could you attach a *crash file located in the macOS Console utility, User Reports folder in it, please?

Attached is a crash report from when I reproduced the issue just now.
Cubase 10_2019-09-09-133516_Kevins-MacBook-Air.crash (176 KB)

Hi,

This crash is in FXpansion BFD2 plug-in. Please make sure the plug-in is up to date or get in touch with the vendor, please.

Wow, thanks for clearing that up! I haven’t noticed any issues with BFD, so I would never have realized that.

I have exactly the same issue - every second project (regardless of size or complexity) is crashing every single time I attempt to open it.

It has been happening for a few months with both Cubase 10 and 10.5.

Any idea based on my crash report (attached) what it might be?

This is a clean install of Mojave with the latest of every version of plugin I use.

I do not use the plugin in the OP’s issue.
Cubase 10.5_2019-11-28-155433_JNP-Control-Room.crash (128 KB)

Hi,

This crash is in VstConnect component. If you don’t use it, you can remove it from the components.

So it’s a Steinberg thing causing it …

I do use it … so should I report this in another thread?

EDIT: installing the ‘pre-release beta’ version of VST Connect Pro from the Steinberg site actually fixes this.

Thanks heaps for confirming what it is Martin!