Cubase 10, Windows 10 and multi-core (14+ cores)

I originally thought I was not experiencing any issues after upgrading to 10 Pro when I turned hyper-threading back on my 10core CPU, but something changed since then. I think a Windows 10 update may have broke something. If I do not disable hyper-threading, I get random pops and spikes. I don’t have time to fiddle around with it, so I just am leaving HT off for now.

Not used versions of Cubase 9-9.5. Tried to return to Cubase 10 Pro. I observe, like many here, the problem with random jumps of RealTime Peak, which after 40-50% of ASIO Average loads give clicks and spikes. The system is fully optimized, the latest drivers for all equipment are installed. The situation is slightly improved by disabling hyper-threading support in the BIOS. But does not solve the problem as a whole.
My system: Windows 10x64 Pro v1809, MB ASUS P8Z77-V, Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 16Gb RAM, ASUS Dual-GTX1060, Cubase Pro 10, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK261
I would not like to give similar examples, but I do not observe a similar problem in other DAWs. I also use the latest versions of Studio One 4, Reaper, Reason 10, Cakewalk BandLab. Therefore, I can say with confidence that the matter is in Cubase. In terms of performance and optimization, unfortunately at the moment it is inferior to them all. I look forward to future updates and solutions to these problems. Otherwise, figuratively speaking, why do you need a Ferrari, if it does not go! Good and good luck to the development team, I know that it is not easy for you now.

In my experience, getting real-time peaks is also related to having the GUIs of some effects open, in particular spectrum analyzers (Voxengo SPAN is specially prone to causing high real-time loads). This improves a lot if you disable hyper-threading, as it seems to give more time to the graphics environment.

disable record button on channel to remove realtime peaks. you ll see the difference

Yes, I knew that. Doing this effectively brings ASIO Guard into active mode, so it improves the performance as the system then plays at the additional latency dictated by ASIO Guard. Anyway, in my particular system, this still is not enough to avoid getting real-time peaks if Hyper-Threading is active and SPAN GUI is also showing. However, replacing SPAN with TDR Nova (only for the spectrum analyzer part in full screen mode) really does the trick. It seems that Nova is less demanding on the CPU when displaying its analyzer.

im confused is it better to have asio guard enabled or disabled?reason why im asking is im getting advice not too use it because it causes audio glitches but some say its better performance if i do use it.

also how do i tell if i have hype threding enabled or disabled?i never got a reply before from steinberg when i asked.

heres my system info–
intel core i7-5820k-3.30ghz
32gb ram
windows 10

does system virtual memory paging help ?ive just checked and my computer is set at 2048mb total paging for all drives and thats way below the recommended 4978mb size.i was wondering if this could affect cubase performance.

also will setting my computer to adjust for best performance be much better?i had it set too let windows choose whats best for my computer before.one thing ive noticed is the graphics are less clear when set to best performance…any help

bump

There´s no need to have virtual memory(just stresses drive and taxes cpu), if you have plenty of RAM. 16gb is enough, even 8gb

Jari Junttila…really…i dident know that. I usually let windows decides this. Maybe i should take away this viritual memory then?

As far as I know it’s better not to touch these settings and let Windows manage it.

Fabio and other Steinberg mods/devs: Any idea whether or not this might make a difference in an upcoming version of Windows 10?

“New Windows 10 update enables you to load “potentially thousands” of plugins in your DAW”

Seems like this won’t have anything to do with the MMCSS issues but at least the FLS plugin limit will be lifted, right?

There are two different problems:

First:
FLS (Local Fiber Storage).
The next Windows Functional Upgrade will allow for about 4000 slots instead of a maximum of 128 slots.
Each plugin occupies at least one slot, but there are plugins that occupy more than four slots.

Second:
The problem of Windows 10 MMCSS (Multimedia Library).
The library has been moved from user mode to kernel mode as of Windows 10. This now limits the maximum number of virtual processors. The library is currently stable under Windows 10 Version 1809 only if the CPU has a maximum of about 14 logical processors or no more than 32 threads are occupied by MMCSS.

The second problem is not solved by the new and better FLS.
Although there should be a registration patch from Steinberg, but unfortunately the solution is only available on request and not publicly.

What Cubase 10 I do not know exactly, apparently, the program now ensures that a maximum of 32 threads are opened by MMCSS.

In my opinion, this is at the expense of performance. As long as Microsoft does not increase the maximum number of threads runs Cubase 10 with the handbrake on. (Is anyone of a different opinion?) That would mean that the performance of a 20-core CPU from Cubase when using the MMCSS only as a CPU running with 14 logical cores.

The registry patch might solve the problem, but apparently there are people who can not successfully apply the patch:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-10-limits-max-number-32-of-threads-with/e3a47fc2-9547-4fea-b830-042a552f56a9?auth=1&page=1

Thanks for your POV – after more research, I agree, the MMCSS issue of Cubase on Win 10 does not appear as though it will be helped by the upcoming FLS improvements of Win 10, which will mainly just benefit plugin count. But I am curious if Steinberg thinks otherwise.

As for performance improvements with the new MMCSS approach with Cubase 10, in my experience there IS a performance improvement on a 10-core (20-thread) CPU with Cubase 10 over Cubase 9.5, but more importantly the dropout/engine behavior seems improved as well. Unless I missed a bunch of posts, it seems this thread has plenty of examples of people with improvements, so I think whatever Steinberg did with MMCSS management has helped more than hurt, although there are certainly people facing issues that need to be tracked down and solved. Overall, I think it’s a step in the right direction, but I’m sure further improvements are needed.

My understanding is that the old registry tweaks, etc., are no longer needed… at least in my case they’re not needed anymore, but perhaps Fabio can enlighten us on the latest info? He mentioned various switches to control spawning prefetch threads in different ways, etc… wondering if there has been any further intel on further improvements?

Hello, I thought I’d add my recent experience with a new build. I went from a 6 core intel 64 gigs ram @ 4.5 Ghz setup to a TR 2950x 16 core 128 gig ram @ 4.0 Ghz. On a very demanding large project on the old PC with about 55 gigs of samples loaded the machine was pushed to its limits and would tip the average load meter in Cubase Pro 10 into the red a number of times where all cores/threads would be maxed out close to 100% Cpu load during playing back when viewed via the resource monitor in Windows. So I finished my new build and got it up and running and the same project was around 32 % Cpu load used in windows resource monitor but high in the average load meter in Cubase, but not tipping into the red indicator any more. It wasn’t exactly what I’d hoped for but certainly better. So I then using the Amd Ryzen Master software disabled 4 cores for a test, intern going from 16 cores down to 12 and Cubase now sits around the half way point most of the playback time over about 10 minutes which certainly achieved far better performance in Cubase 10 and more so what I’d been hoping for when I upgraded. Granted I want to take advantage of the 16 cores and not 12 but for now it’s positive results so I’m intending on doing a few more tests to try and park only 2 cores via the bios as Ryzen master needed it evenly distributed so 1 per die.
Cheers

thanks for this. It’s the first real TR /Cubase 10 test I’ve seen from a user so it’s great to get some real world feedback on these CPU’s.

Keep us posted on your results.

M

I just bought a new system with a AMD Classico Ryzen 1920X [12x 3,50GHz] processor and Windows 10.
Can I fully take advantage of the 12 cores, or are there limitations?
Is there something in that context which I have to take care about when installing Cubase on windows 1o?

Pops and cracklings lots of real time peaks after loaded 6 synth!
I7 7820x 16gb ddr4.
Turned off C-State and Speedstep. Same result.
Cubase 8.5 run soooooo smooth.
But this version is horrible.
Not working for me so far.

Quick update – I already mentioned in this thread that my 10-core Xeon has seen an improvement with Cubase 10, but I just built a relatively affordable 8-core 9900K workstation and it works even better. To my surprise, when tested with RME USB (especially at lowest latency), it was noticeably more powerful than the older 10-core Xeon – more than I expected – and completely glitch-free with Cubase 10. Was able to push the system further and harder than any prior DAW, and it has been amazingly stable and responsive under high load. Cross fingers it stays that way! Time will tell as I get into huge projects on this system, but I’m highly optimistic and I think Cubase + 9900K may be a match made in DAW heaven. Have not tested C9.5 for comparison, but this combo seems to be – so far! – the most powerful, responsive, and stable system I have ever used for music/sound. Also huge improvements in Studio One and Reaper. Haven’t tested Pro Tools and Nuendo yet.

I think I can finally weigh in to an extent. I ended up getting the big daddy - i9-9980xe, with 16 gb ram. I’m running intensive additive synthesis so it uses a fair bit of CPU in my projects plus a fair number of VSTs. My current first test project since I set up this system is underway. I’m running right now at Cubase consuming around 40% of my CPU in Task Manager. Zero dropouts or abnormal behavior. So far this is the smoothest DAW I’ve had and I’ve been recording since the 90s. Maybe that’s because I have a monster CPU now. LOL.

I have multithreading disabled so I am essentially running an 18 core system.

I’ll update if my projects get sufficiently more complex to tax my system further or I run into any abnormal behavior.