Cubase 11.0.41 suddenly totally unresponsive when opening the key editor

Hi there,

Last night I was quantising an audio region and all was well. But when I created an midi track I suddenly wasn’t able to use the pencil tool anymore. After that the scissor tool became really unresponsive.as well and next all Cubase was unstable and slow. I closed the song, restarted Cubase and opened an old one, but the same thing happened. Especially when I tried to open the midi-editor.

Today I started Cubase while holding ctrl+alt+shift, but I didn’t make a difference. So now I don’t know what to do anymore. Cubase opens a song and all seems well. When I press play everything is fine, but as soon as I want to open the key editor the program becomes unstable and slow. When I try to open the event list the program crashes.

I hope someone can help me out, at this moment I cannot use the program.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings, Mixnar

Windows 10
Cubase Pro 11.0.41

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Which option did you choose from the Safe Start Dialog, please?

Hi Martin,

I tried disable program preferences and deactivate all third party plugins (separate and together), but unfortunately it didn’t make any difference to the behaviour.

Greetings, Mixnar

Hi,

Do you have any older Cubase installed, or older Cubase preferences in the folder?

Hi,

No, 11.0.41 is the only version I’ve ve installed on this pc.

It goes wrong when I try to open the key editor or the list editor.

Anyone any idea?

Thanks!

Hi,

By disabling the Preferences, Cubase renames the defaults.xml file. But there are several other Cubase preferences.

Therefore I would try to quit Cubase, rename the whole preferences folder, and start Cubase.

Cubase Preferences folders are:
Win: %appData% Steinberg/Cubase X_64

Hi Martin,

Yes, this does the trick, Cubase is working now as aspected. So what’s the procedure now? Cubase has (of course) made a new Cubase 11_64 folder. And all my preferences are gone. Is it possible to copy/import some of my old preference presets and other stuff?

Thanks again.

Mixnar

Hi,

You have the factory preferences.

You can do so, but it’s risky. You might copy the corrupted preferences file back. If you are interested just about the Key Commands, I would say it’s safe to copy them over. If you want more, you can always try to copy one dedicated file over and test, if Cubase is still responsive.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your help, all seems fine now. I was able to copy my key commands and my preference-configurations and Cubase still works as aspected.

Thanks again and greetings!

Mixnar

1 Like