Cubase 11 does not close

Cubase 11 does not close. After working for some time, I save the project and then I quit Cubase, but I have to stop it with the Task Maneger. Anyone have this kind of problem?

3 Likes

Yes. Has been happening to me as well.

1 Like

… and the others too :wink:

kind regards

I use cubase every day and for some time it has always worked well. My plug-ins are always the same and they are all up to date. My project I’m working on uses Kontak 6 updated to the latest version, EastWest’s Play latest version and just an Eq Waves with Span plus on the master and that’s it. However, if I work for 10-15 minutes and then quit Cubase it doesn’t crash, but I have more time (2 hours). I have send to file .dmp to support.

It’s most certainly a plugin , your crash dump will tell

2 Likes

Pretty much been an issue for as long as I can remember. They seem to fix it then something else brings it back. Currently for my set up I believe it’s an issue with My Nektar P6 integration with Cubase.

1 Like

This problem also existed some time ago, now it has returned. However when I save the project, luckily I manage to save it, and then I close Cubase and it crashes, it doesn’t create the Crash dump file. So it becomes difficult to pinpoint the cause of Cubase freezing. This is very annoying. I am confident but disappointed.

This has been happening to me for years now. It either has something to do with the Windows ‘sleep’ function -or- the video driver. I leave Cubase running 24/7. And every day or so when I hit ‘Play’, there’s no sound. So I hit End Task. -Or- if I burn a video on that machine using another program that also usually kills the audio.

I’m always able to save my work. Just… no audio.

For years, people here have told me, “It’s one of yer plugs”, but I doubt it. I just think there is something in either Cubase or the RME drivers that stop communicating either with Sleep or when the DVD drive is activated.

Annoying as crap, but not fatal.

Such a problem for many users!

Hello everyone
It seems to me that the problem is to be attributed to Kontakt 6. When I load several instances of Kontakt the problem begins to appear, when I delete Kontakt from the project or decrease the instances Cubase exits the application after a few seconds.

1 Like

Steinberg support did not make itself felt. I had opened the support issue on April 30th but I have not received any feedback

1 Like

Yes, it’s a problem I’m experiencing, as well, and I do not have any kontakt plugins. I have 2 computers, 2 licenses. I first upgraded my smaller set-up with Cubase Elements 10.0. It’s had the freeze-up issue since I first bought it, well over a year ago. It doesn’t actually freeze while I’m using it, but when I try to close the program. I always have to resort to task manager to end it.
Then last week, I installed Cubase 11 Pro on my larger system. It started doing the exact same thing. Before this, I was using Cubase 6.5 Elements / Pro on each computer with no such issue.

This defect persists, now we have to resign ourselves. My PC:
I9 - 32Gb of ram. W10 PRO version 2004.
Fortunately, the project is saved correctly, or almost !!!
The project consists of 5 instances of Kontakt 6 full version and 10 VST Scoring Strings AudioBro loaded. When I save the project, it takes about 10 seconds, I click on quit Cubase and here it crashes. I have to use the Task Maneger and force quit.

I have seen this occasionally. Interesting that Kontakt is mentioned here because Ableton would regularly freeze when closing a Kontakt-heavy project. In Cubase it’s only happened a few times.

I had an issue for over a year with the freeze on close and Acustica Audio plugins. CUbase would be guarantedd to freeze on close after being left open for 15 mins or more. After a long battle, it was Acustica who found a solution. These issues all seem to revolve around DirectX and VSTGUI. I haven’t had a specific problem with Kontakt, but I use it sparingly.
The Acustica issue was fixed by a very pro-active plugin maker, but sadly the bug shifted to R.I.P. and audio export, but at least I can close projects without a problem now.

Hello. Yes same problem here. I tend to get hangs on any large VST instruments - Kontakt, Omnisphere, Keyscape. Even if these are disabled or samples unloaded cubase will tend to stay persistent as a background process with a few hundred megabytes of memory still running. In my case there is no way to end this process (‘access is denied’ to ending the process.and I have to restart the machine or log out of windows and back in to reopen Cubase.

I sent feedback to the Steinberg engineers telling them that with the same project I was working with loaded 10 instances of Kontakt, Cubase would crash on closing. After rendering all tracks and disabling all instances of Kontakt, Cubase would shut down regularly. I do not know what to think.

Steinberg support responded by informing me to make some changes step by step, but they did not solve the problem. CUBASE BLOCKS DURING THE CLOSURE OF THE PROJECT !!!.
These were their instructions: Please initialize Cubase preferences:

• Close all programs.
  • Open the ‘Run’ command prompt by pressing the Windows logo key + R simultaneously.
  • In the command line of the ‘Run’ window, enter this path:% appdata% / Steinberg
  • Locate the folder which is named the same as your Steinberg program, for example ‘Cubase Pro 11’.
  • Rename it (for example to “xCubase Pro 11”) in order to hide it.
  • Important: If you find folders of previous program versions, make sure to hide or remove them too.

Next time you start the program, a new folder with fresh preferences and default settings will be created - which hopefully fixes the problem you’ve experienced.

Preferences that you have grown accustomed to and that have taken a lot of time to configure - the key commands (Key Commands.xml) for instance - can be copied from the inactive folder to the newly created active preferences folder at a later point.