Cubase 11 feedback from an intermediate user

Would this get you close? There are a few different variations of this…
A macro:

1. Editors- open key editor
  2. transport-locate selection start
  3. zoom-zoom out
  4. zoom -zoom out
  5. zoom -zoom in
  6. zoom-zoom in
  7. edit-select none
    8 transport-locators to selection
  8. Zoom-zoom to selection

I have a few variations based on the above depending on objectives.

Yes, I too wish they made it easier.

Thanks for the info, Greggybud. I bought the EZ Mix program from Toontracks. It’s so handy for guys like me who haven’t the time nor the desire to spend the next 25 years learning how to mix and master. The presets they offer are excellent for what I need. I also bought their Mastering II plugin. The downside is, you have very little control over the settings of each preset, but as mentioned, I don’t want to tinker endlessly with the sound only to find out I wrecked it :blush:!

For a drumming program, I bought Addictive Drums 2. Like it’s competitor EZ Drummer 2, it offers several expansion sets. I was able to fulfill my needs with it. A lot of this stuff goes on sale too, which is nice. I’m still disappointed Cubase leans so heavy toward EDM and not the traditional stuff.

I do have that macro for syncing the cursor. Thanks for that. I certainly agree that we shouldn’t need to do that. There was a thread about a year or so ago that detailed a boatload of deficiencies in the Cubase GUI and workflow that users need fixed. Instead, Cubase 11 has some very nice new tools but virtually nothing has been done about these other things.

I totally agree! I would actually like to have 2 resizeable inspector columns! (2 “left zones” in arrangement window maybe ?) Ultrawide monitors have plenty of horizontal real estate for this. They also need to fine-tune the collapsing behavior of the inspector. The pinning option doesn’t work as expected with instrument tracks. Also, when you make a change in the setup window it closes all the tabs you spent time organizing to your liking, very annoying.

While I don’t disagree with what you’re wishing, in the meantime I do my visibility settings in the Mixer window, and keep the Project and Mixer sync’d.

The Mixer window Visibility tab can show a bit more of the track name. It can be made a little wider than the Project window equivalent.

Thanks, guys.

Nico5, yes that is a good workaround. The mixer window is pretty powerful.

1 Like

Reasonably visible GUI’s would be a good start. Global storage of changed (at great length and waste of time ) screen colours would be a second reasonably sensible start.
The idiotic grey font on black background may be fine for 12 year olds who never managed (or bothered) to learn to sing or play, but for someone (who’s a vintage Cubaser) and who still has their original Atari Cubase ST. floppies in a box somewhere, it severely stinks.

Maybe the ‘revered’ Cubase designers of the GUI should imagine what average age of eyes they are designing for? (Or not. ) (It’s not difficult)
Me, to try to cope with their lack of Cubase client-base friendliness, just has to keep buying bigger and bigger HDMI monitors. But of course, they wanted it to look like Maschina. (which is also a severe pain in the arse.) Maybe I should remember to take a torch when I programme.

I also understand exactly what the original poster means with regard to EDM and other’s ‘music accessible to your ears’ and eminently playable on any logs that you have to have laying around on your work-surface, next to your desk or monitors… (the later post response)

Recently , after listening to lots of excuses of ‘dope’ beats, and so-called ‘rises’, I fervently wish that I had been born deaf. (No, not really, but nearly)
Regarding; 'all music is relevant (even absolute drivel, ) ( including gangsta endless sweary-words and rappers who don’t rhyme even a little intelligibly, and who copy AI-generated chord progressions that they’ve just bought)… ummmmm… Humbug!
Beat programmers might take a listen to one of the best drummers ever IMO ; Jack Bruno. I’m listening to him with Joe Cocker just now)

Again , on the; ’ all effing noise is valid snowflake front’;
I remember what Steve Luthaker said about Oasys guitar ‘work’… Jesus!, I could play better than that when I was eight!’
(I think Luthaker started playing at age nine. :slight_smile:

Merry Christmas to all. :slight_smile:

"However, I also have some empathy for software developers and sound designers - in that the market is ridiculously competitive with prices racing to zero. "

Zero??? nearly 600 quid for Pro 11? (plus 26 or so extra quid for a dongle inc. postage?? Pro software from other stables are mostly priced similarly. (Yes, Cakewalk by BandLab is free) However, in general your above comment makes very little sense to me.

I 'm looking to change my DAW From Cubase 10.06 pro, (because of Cubase’s extremely problematic authorisation procedures)
Yes, you may disagree and have had no authorisation problems, but wait until your dongle fails (and they do) and you cannot work on anything remotely .cpr -related.

Izotope’ installer licenser. (for example) is so much better. and in the interests of safety, I’m looking long and hard at rival products, Stdio Uno5 , Reaper, and FL Producer.
One of the FL producer interviewees / users said that he made 2 million bucks from one FL track. (Gie’s a job, I could do that)

To reiterate, with Cubase spin-offs and subsidiary products being sold with endless hardware desks, sound cards, and even guitar amps and cabs, then personally, I think there’s very little evidence of a declining Steinberg user base. (especially with the world in this ridiculous lock-down ‘covid nonsense’ situation)

ritchie
bg