Cubase 11 Freezes during audio processing

I’ve seen a number of “system freezing” issues posted, but not discovered any answers.

When processing fairly simple audio edits, my system will go into an indefinite “hang” and become non responsive. I’m able to repeat the behavior in about 75% of the attempts.

• For example, over the last couple of days I’ve attempted to process simple editis (like reverse a vocal event no longer than two words).

• I’ve accessed the edit from the Audio > Processes, Audio > Direct Offline Processing, and by Right-Clicking the event itself and accessing the process menu from there.

• My current session has roughly 52 tracks with multiple lanes/takes, but I would not consider it unusually large. It is under 3:00 minutes long.

Steinberg Cubase Pro 11.0.20 Build 371
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3Ghz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB RAM
macOS Catalina 10.15.7

how about in a blank project, what’s the behavior like?

Well, I’m not sure how I would test editing audio if the project is empty. I have had the same behavior in more than one session, which shows some consistency.

The point is you need to eliminate variables, otherwise you could end up chasing your tail.

I’d start by moving an audio file to a different drive, then start up a blank Cubase project and import that audio file, leaving the file in place on that other drive. See what happens.

That makes sense. Very helpful. Thanks.

1 Like