Cubase 11 suddenly skipping / dropping out audio

Hi all
Having worked on a song for a couple of weeks witout any issues and having mastered it like a month ago, I today reloaded it to export a version without vocals. The only difference from a month ago on my PC is an update to Vegas pro 19. The song has 8 audio tracks and 5 VST / NI synths., used to work like a charm, never had any issues whatsoever, but today that song starts to skip / drop out audio tracks at random places. No performance issues in the disk or ASIO meters. The weird thing is that even the export has random dropouts on the audio tracks, not the VSTs. I’ve never seen anything like it. Did all the recommended tweaks and turned on the audio power scheme, no difference.

System:
Focusrite Clarett 4 USB
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 12x 3.7 GHz
32 GB DDR4-3200 MHz (2x16GB), Dual-Channel
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, 8GB GDDR6, HDMI, DP, studio drivers
ASUS PRIME B550M-K, AMD B550, AM4, mATX
7.1 (8-chanel) Surround-Sound, Digital Audio, onboard
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB, NVMe M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
be quiet! System Power 9 700W CM, 80+ Bronze, modular
2x WD red 6TB
2x Samsung 2TB SSD

Any ideas or solutions?
Thanks!

Is the skip / drop out really happening at random and different places on each playback ?
Or is it always happening at the same position ?
To me this clearly sounds like you have a Mute automation that you aren’t aware of, or the Locators are inverted, which causes to song to skip that range.

If the drop outs are in the Export (standard rendering, not real-time), then they are necessarily caused by something inside the project, these drop outs simply cannot be performance related.

As I said, the places are random. It’s the exact same project as I left it after mastering, with no issues whatsoever. Nothing is wrongly handled, inverted, muted or otherwise. There are no mute automations anywhere.
I now tried using a faster SSD with the audio on it, same thing. Random dropouts. Latency setting changes do not help either.

And did you try disabling all the inserts ?
As I said, dropouts caused by small buffer should not occur during rendering, so these dropouts are produced from inside the project.
You even told that it is only on Audio Tracks, and not on Instruments. So this is clearly not a performance issue, this happens from within the project itself.

Something you can try is to temporarily remove the Cubase 11 folder from User > Appdata > Roaming > Steinberg (just move it somewhere else, do not delete !).
Launch Cubase and it should load default parameters. See if the bug sill occurs.

OK I found it!
It was the Ozone 9 plugin, probably because the demo version had expired, and it was still in the FX chains. I now uninstalled it and all is fine.
Thanks for trying to help.

1 Like

Great !