CUBASE 11 - - THREE MOST NEEDED things - 1.) Audio Connections revamp. 2.) MultiTrack Freeze. 3.) MIDI, CC, Control

This is based more on logic than it is popularity. Specifically looking at foundation components of the software that need to be improved which will relay to everything else.

-Is it going to significantly speed up workflow and help people stay organized?
-Is it going to significantly assist in improving audio/production quality?
-Is it going to significantly contribute or help deliver creative output?
-Is it going to significantly help Steinberg obtain pro/commercial studio market users (important marketing foundation)?
-Is it going to significantly better integrate Cubase to modern technologies and equipment and communication protocols/techniques?
-Is it going to significantly improve or decrease performance?

1.) Audio Connections revamping

a.) It’s still the old GUI, so it needs an update regardless.

b.) While the industry swung hard into being mostly ITB away from analog, it swung back and leveled out between the two in which a lot of people are moving back to or are aspiring to work with analog equipment and gear.

Eurorack exploded, 500 series exploded, Behringer is releasing affordable knockoffs, lots of guitar pedal makers as always, DIY pro audio community exploded, used Synth market exploded, pro audio external hardware effects are returning such as the new Neve AMS RMX16 500 and the Eventide H9000. All of Steinbergs new marketing has eurorack and synths in it.

Steinberg has not facilitated this change, in which people have more gear than they do AD/DA and that is a big problem. Audio Connections can’t be shared, they get stolen, they break from project to project and don’t recall properly sometimes. External Audio Connections to make it worse, doesn’t have a full-recall presets only individual connection presets. If you are running a studio with only 16ad/da which you are using sometimes 16 channels for recording inputs, and then 12 of those are being switched to analog gear for mixing, and then you’re having to switch back to full recording set up, and then you’re doing a combination of synth recording and external mixing, etc, etc and you have a hard drive of projects saved with different settings - - It’s an incredibly non-viable way of working.

Now the vast majority of people who have Cubase, probably have no gear, perhaps not even AD/DA and just use their laptops headphone out. But this is important for Steinberg to facilitate professional studios and high-end hobbiests. Steinberg is at a critical point to break a bigger chunk off of that market for themselves, and improving this aspect of Cubase is essential to that.

-Is it going to significantly speed up workflow and help people stay organized? YES
Having to not reset inputs/outputs 1by1 every other project, which is tedious, annoying, mentally straining, confusing, brain focus stealing when that brain power should be put in the art is significant.

-Is it going to significantly assist in improving audio/production quality? YES
If this process is made easier, it will make using analog equipment more viable in a session setting, quicker workflow yields better results, analog gear can be used more and experimented with more frequently.

-Is it going to significantly contribute or help deliver creative output? YES
See above.

-Is it going to significantly help Steinberg obtain pro/commercial studio market users (important marketing foundation) YES
Seeing as most these studios have a plethora of nice gear, if Steinberg creates a modern integration concept that allows people to use their investments quicker, better, more creatively, save them time, and they do it better than ProTools, StudioOne, people will be intrigued.

-Is it going to significantly better integrate Cubase to modern technologies and equipment and communication protocols/techniques? YES

-Is it going to significantly improve or decrease performance? NA/YES
Offloading process onto real gear or digital FX units

2.) Multiple Track Freezing/Unfreezing

This would make production a ton easier. Sometimes you finish working, immediately start on a mix, get the project loaded with all sorts of mixing plugins and processing but then realize some stuff needs to be recorded. You want to be able to reduce latency and stabilize the CPU/RAM usage - being able to select all the tracks and Freeze them and go make a pot of coffee while the rendering happens would be fantastic.

-Is it going to significantly speed up workflow and help people stay organized? YES
I can stabilize a project and go set up mics, clean up, make coffee, while the tracks freeze render. I can continually and easily stabilize the projects CPU/RAM usage as the project progresses.

-Is it going to significantly assist in improving audio/production quality? YES
People will be more inclined to use as intense of a process as they need. They don’t need to always freeze tracks, they can wait until their CPU starts acting up and then freeze a bunch of tracks all at once. stacked processing can be done easier and quicker. More processing intense experiments and techniques can be done quicker. Processing can be organized and adjusted quicker.

-Is it going to significantly contribute or help deliver creative output? YES
the ease of use will open up new processing and mixing ideas for people. Parallel processing stacks, etc.

-Is it going to significantly help Steinberg obtain pro/commercial studio market users (important marketing foundation)? YES
Studios have big processing demands, high number of tracks counts, high number of simultaneous AD/DA, CPU intensive plugins and techniques and have a lot of work and back to back projects to deal with. Clients moving rapidly from one track to the next and back and forward and all over the place. This is a big project and studio management feature.

-Is it going to significantly better integrate Cubase to modern technologies and equipment and communication protocols/techniques? YES
Nearly an entire DAW digital mix/edit can be froze in one or two clicks (could set this up as a PLE Command if included in PLE) before being sent out the box for a console/hardware mix. Less playback latency.

-Is it going to significantly improve or decrease performance? YES
significantly improve as user can quickly freeze tracks and get their performance stabilized and reduce buffer latency.

3.) Improved - MIDI Routing, CC/Controller Lane UI, Quick Controls,
keeping this one short.
-Need to be able to rename CC Lanes/MIDI controller General Names to match the parameters of what they are actually controlling on a synth - ie CC Maps (Like Drum Maps)
-One MIDI CC should be able to control multiple Quick Controls or parameters (Multi-Quick Controls)
-revamp of Drum maps - easier to edit multiple at once
-improving midi plugins, fixing bugs like StepDesigner not properly saving/recalling CC Controller presets per project
edit
-improved MIDI plugins / opening up 3rd party MIDI plugin development

I would say we need these features right now, not after a year :wink:
+1 to all your lyrics :wink:

Yes, I agree. I was at the very least hoping to see Audio Connections revamped for 10.5, but I suspect and hope it will be for 11.

Audio Connections
100% +10000

As someone with 2 Motu AVB interfaces, and a ton of 500 series modules, Cubase is really long in the tooth in this area.

I really want to setup my interface in different ways - tracking, external fx, 2 bus summing mix… etc - right now, there are (silent) broken connections, missing routings and all sorts. It’s really painful.

The UX for the GUI is really poor - when I already have my Motu interface in Studio Setup (see attachment), why can’t I just setup busses in this context? I can see allo the ins and outs of my interface in this screen, let me build presets of how these are gonna be used here!

Shared/swapped/broken connections - Cubase really needs to be able to better ‘degrade gracefully’ when switching between hardware AD/DA presets, especially for routing destinations. I’d also like to see Direct Routing (and the strangely named Summing Mode) be revamped as part of this. It works, but it is far from intuitive!

Agree 100% on the On the MIDI CC side, but would add also Program Change being nerfed! One thing that I find staggeringly unbelievable is that since Cubase 4 we can’t reliably automate preset changes via midi - either for VST Instruments or for effects / plugins. Program Change is BASIC MIDI SPEC!!! And because of this change (i believe it was for VTS3 spec) not only can’t we automate preset / patch changes, we can’t even trigger them from a remote controller!!! This is a shocking omission!!! It seems like one of the most basic DAW functions you could imagine would be to assign buttons on a controller to next/previous preset and cycle through patches (especially on instruments!!!). Nope can’t do this!!! Now, some VST plugins do support this, because the plugin devs have baked the functionality in to their plugin, but most that I have do not (and none of Steinbergs own VST3 plugs do).

Cubase 10.5 can’t reliably audition VST presets (instrument of effect) using hardware remote controller

Shocking!!!

+1 great post

Was thinking on this a bit more, and have a few more observations / suggestions. Apologies in advance for the length…

Currently I kind of move between 3 different ‘hardware configurations’ in my Motu AVB setup (24 in 24 out to Cubase):

1. TRACKING - basic audio recording - 16 ins / 3 outs (2bus and click return) - this covers drum and full band tracking, plus all manner of overdubs.
  2. OUTBOARD INSERT PASS - this is doing ‘print’ passes through various 500 series modules - with emphasis here on eq/comp and colour/mojo. It’s a transient phase, and all hardware routing is done via external patchbays. Depends on the track, but usually each pass is 10-12 prints at a time (mostly for reuse of Elysia Nvelope on drums)
  3. ANALOG SUMMING - 16 outs of 16A go to SPL Mixdream, a couple of other outs (Monitor 8) go to external fx units that get submixxed into Mixdream. Mixdream outs go to Silver Bullet and 2bus EQ/Comp chain.

I try to keep this as tight to TRACKING > OUTBOARD PASS > ANALOG SUMMING as I can, but there are always overdubs, tracking pickups, so i’m usually back and forth between 1/2 and then back and forth between 2/3 setups on any given track.

The biggest workflow headaches here are as follows:-

1. Moving to the OUTBOARD INSERT PASS is the biggest pain, as have to reconfigure each single External FX assignment. Deleting all EFX busses and reinstating via favourites is a wee bit quicker as long as you have the routing setup when favourite was saved, but it’s still WAY TOO SLOW
  2. Moving to TRACKING and ANALOG SUMMING is not quite as bad - pick INS preset, pick OUTS preset (and assuming i’ve got the right template with Direct Routing and SUMMING MODE setup correctly) it’s manageable.
  3. When you have missed something (for me this is usually a BUS used in the project that is set to NOT CONNECTED) it can take a fair bit of time to figure out, and really takes you out of the creative process.

CURRENT WORKAROUNDS

Because (AFAIK) Cubase seems to deal with connections / channels etc using INDEX POSITIONS, I try to avoid deleting busses from INS / OUTPUT windows. Rename for different presets, but keeping the same amount and respecting the index / order really helps - it avoids the whole ‘UNMAPPED PORTS’ errors etc that happen on project opening. Things really start going wrong when you start removing / reordering busses - especially on outputs. Inputs isn’t quite as bad, but generally on INS I have a single preset that has my full tracking requirements, and stick with that. Sometimes those busses will temporarily be NOT CONNECTED when using hardware inserts, but that is not such a big deal.

The OUTBOARD INSERT PASS is easily the biggest issue right now, so I try and do these guys as an ‘all or nothing’ pass, which usually means having a good idea of what i’m going to print on the pass. Then it’s the following process:-

1. Setup External FX connections (‘borrowing’ assignments from INS / OUTS - these busses stay, just change to NOT CONNECTED)
  2. Do hardware patching as needed
  3. Route audio from required channel(s) to “OUTBOARD PRINT GROUP x” - my template has a bunch of groups dedicated to printing outboard
  4. Add EFX Plugin to group, and use “Measure FX Loop Delay” button to check delay and ensure connection (NB - really need function to test this outside of the plugin!!! Would be great to be able to test in the External FX tab!!!)
  5. Route output of “OUTBOARD PRINT GROUP x” to temporary/transient “print” audio channel and record arm.
  6. Loop steps 3-5 as needed for all external FX in this pass
  7. Do all hardware tweaks
  8. Run the pass and print the new tracks
  9. After checks,create new track version with outboard mix decisions (can always go back)
  10. Remove all EFX plugs from groups. (EFX being used in project anywhere forced realtime bounce, even if NOTHING is being routed to it, or bus is NOT CONNECTED!!!

That’s a lot of faff! Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad it’s possible, but surely it could be a bit slicker than it is?

SUGGESTIONS

1. Consolidate all Hardware to Bus assignments into a single preset / configuration. This would be a big deal for me. Right now it’s very fragmented - separate INS preset, separate OUTS preset. No EFX (or External Instrument) presets, just ‘favourites’. Give me “ASIO Hardware Configuration” presets please!!! See attached UI mocks for a basic idea how this could look / function

2. Show some intelligence with regards to routing based on the hardware config:-
    a) If an INT bus is unassigned and used in the project, then that’s generally fine, no signal will be received on the bus
    b) if an OUT bus is unassigned and used in the project (e.g. a send or summat), then again, that’s fine, no audio would be sent on that bus
    c) The biggest one - if an EFX (or External Instrument) is unassigned unassigned, then Cubase should be able to detect this and do one of a number of things based on user preference:
    i) Bypass the EFX insert wherever it is used “Bypass External FX and Instruments on Unassigned”
    ii) Leave the EFX insert enabled, but do not pass audio “Block External FX and Instruments on Unassigned”
    iii) Warn the User

3. Following from the idea of Cubase being able to detect when a Bus is unassigned, allow non-realtime bounces where unassigned ExFX plugins are in use. For me this would greatly increase workflow in that I could leave my ExFX inserts setup on my dedicated groups, rather than having to remove them each time.

Idea with the UI mocks is to show a single place to manage ASIO Audio, with complete presets. Can only upload 3 attachments so will split across 2 posts…

1. Busses-TRACKING.jpg - shows basic IN/OUT bus. This one shows BUSSES tab in the context of a hypothetical TRACKING ‘ASIO hardware’ preset
  2. ExFX-OUTBOARD PASS Config.jpg - shows External FX tab. This one shows EFX tab in context of my OUTBOARD PASS preset
  3. Busses-OUTBOARD PASS.jpg - shows how BUSSES tab would look if under the OUTBOARD PASS preset - note all the unassigned busses.
  4. ExFX-TRACKING.jpg - shows how EFX tab would look (unassigned) under the context of the TRACKING preset.

Having ASIO hardware connections and Busses/EFX in the same UI area opens up a number of possibilities:-

1. Drag a hardware connection to a Bus and vice versa. Can Still pick from dropdown of course.
  2. Quickly be able to see Hardware/Bus assignments in one place
  3. Be able to save/load hardware presets quickly

Additionally, I REALLY like the idea that if Cubase is using indexes/ids for busses under the hood, I’d like to see what they are, such that I know how I am renaming stuff (nb - you can rename busses quite happily, but renaming ASIO Hardware Connections creates unmapped ports issues)

Split attachments…

+1

I’m also thinking about whether or not there should be ‘External FX’ built right into channel strip, rather than having it have to be through insert. Of coarse, retain insert plugin if needed.

+1

I would like the three features mentioned by the OP, lovegames.

Thanks for the bump and support.

I stand by these three assessments as most important - there’s lots of other important things - but these three I think generally influence the entire program and what most people are needing in a general sense.

Very well put!!! and yes!!!
+1

I am vey seriously taking another look at Presonus Studio One purely because the have got a much better handling of External Plugin.

C’mon Steinberg, give us some Asio HardWare Presets!!!

Couldn’t give up PLE among many other things.

But, let’s keep this thread bumped! If Steinberg get these into Cubase 11… Cubase will be on a very good path.

I’D be etremely happy to get stable audio routings taht don’t require frequent redoing. I have a couple I/O ch’s dedicated to processors and basically leave them alone. my planned work around is to simply get another audio I/O with 8 chs. :confused: not ideal but time is worth way more than the cost of the hardware. even still I’d like to know if I change a single session for some reason it doesn’t bork all my other session setups. This would be a major big deal to fix ! I don’t want to go back to installing a patch bay in this day and age. I sold them off years ago now and don’t want them back.

thanks for chiming in, I feel your frustrations.

POLL: MultiTrack FREEWARP - - vs - - MultiTrack FREEZE - if only one, which would you want