Cubase 11 & Windows 10 Lockup

Windows 10 system with I9 CPU and tons of RAM.

Installed Cubase 11. Opened and ran Media Bay and updated to sync any new files.
Opened VST Plug-In manager. Added VST Plun-in path and ran VST scan in the plug in manager.
Cubase locked and refused to complete tasks even after 9 hours.
Had to terminate Cubase from task manager

Hi,

Probably one of the plug-in wasn’t really healthy in the folder.

I don’t think it’s fair to blame it on the plugins here. Cubase is the host, Cubase runs the scan. Cubase should be able to cope with “unhealthy” plugins. Putting Cubase stability in the hands of third-party developers is just… well, bad.

Hi,

I don’t judge or blame anyone. I just try to help you to find the source. So I would try to remove half of the plug-ins and try to scan the plug-ins again in Cubase. If it works, then the problematic plug-in is in the other half. If the scan fails, the plug-in is in this half. Then you take one half of the part, you discovered the problematic is in. And do the same. This is the fastest way, how to find the problematic plug-in.

Once you have the plug-in, we can try more. Like update the plug-in, for example.

You can also try to use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, to find out, where the problem is.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\Users<username>\Downloads\Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 10:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase10

Nuendo 10:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo10

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

Share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

I think the response of “plug-in” issues can be the problem. It is locking up pretty regular now. Usually when browsing the right panel media bay for audio files. Whatever changed in v11.0 in regards to plugins would be good to know to help trouble shoot which is the “bad” plugin. Someone like me has close to a hundred that all worked fine with 10.x. Trying to trouble shoot which one is bad will take hours and hours.
I’ll try the idea from Jirsak and see if I can nail it.
Appreciate any other ideas though? Esp if it points to a well known plug in company.