Cubase 12.0.20 crashes when I close project and project does not appear in recents

Cubase 12 worked OK but on upgrade to 12.0.20 it consistently crashes when I close a project. When I launch Cubase again, it starts in safe mode. The project I was using does not appear in my recent list, but when I navigate to the file, the project opens properly.
Apart from that, Cubase is working OK (Windows 10).
Has anybody experienced and overcome this problem and if not, how can I go back to the first Cubase v12, when I didn’t have this problem?
Thanks for any advice!

Hi,

Could you attach the *.DMP file, please?

Where can I find the DMP file?

Hi,

In the Documents/Steinberg/Crash Dumps/ folder.

Same problem here…

Hi,

Same question here:

+1

Steinberg please at least fix the “Recents” list. Right now, the list updates when Cubase is successfully shutdown. However, it must be updated whenever the user opens a file. Right at that moment.

Cubase 12.0.0.205 64bit 2022.3.23 20.06.09.343.dmp (770.0 KB)
Hopefully you can now see a DMPfile that I have uploaded. It does not seem to produce a DMP file every time this happens because it happens to me daily. The latest DMP file (attached) seems to be some time ago. Is this DMP file of any use?

Hi,

Please update to the latest Cubase 12.0.20.

Hi,

All the settings (not just the Recent filled) is stored at the moment of Cubase quit. All settings is stored to the preferences folder. The same applies for the Recent files.

I have this exact same problem too. But…
There are no .dmp files, not even a folder for them.

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 12:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase12

Nuendo 11:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo11

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

1 Like

I am on v 12.0.20 build 263 built on Apr 22 2022. The issues I’m having are happening on this version. I attached the latest DMP file in the folder that you suggested. I don’t have any later DMP files. They don’t seem to be getting created each time Cubase crashes (ie every time I close a project). At least, they aren’t being stored in the folder you suggested.

Hi,

The DMP file came from Cubase 12.0.0, therefore I asked for the update. Do you have any DMP file from Cubase 12.0.20 by any chance?

No. This problem does not seem to have created any DMP files - at least not in the folder you suggested and I dont know where else to look.
The problem has happened consistently for well over a week.
However… tonight the problem has stopped! I can now create a new project and it appears in the Recents list and Cubase does not crash when I close a project! I have not updated Cubase (Im on the latest version anyway) and have not changed any settings / preferences etc. I havent upgraded Windows or anything like that either. The only possible software change that I can think of is that Windows did an auto update on my PC at some time in the last day. That’s just a guess and I’m not a techie. I just hope this stays stable now!

1 Like

I spoke too soon! Cubase still crashes, but only when closing 2 projects that I created when the problem started. There are still no DMP files to send you. It just crashes and I have to start in safe mode. Earlier projects and projects that I create now do not cause the crash anymore when I close them. They also appear in the recent list.
I’ve deleted the 2 problem projects where this is happening. I’ll just have to record the tracks again from scratch :frowning: The projects used standard plugins that I regularly use (superior drummer 3 / HALion6 / SampleTank 4).

Hi,

Could you use the ProcDump (I described above), provoke the crash and share the DMP file, please?

OK I’ll try that tomorrow Martin. Unfortunately, the problem is still happening intermittently ATM, even with newly created projects now.

Same issue here. It’s been a couple of weeks now. Not saving recent projects and totally freezing up. I have the DMP files. Please let me know the best way to get them to you.
Musically Yours,

Bob L

Hi,

Share the link via Dropbox or similar service, please.