Cubase 12.0.20 crashes when I close project and project does not appear in recents

Martin is right. I tried 12.0.20 “run as administrator”. It didn’t crash but little things like Enable Track or Disable track wasn’t even an option.

Hi,

The crashes are in the AirEQ, Opus and Slate Digital plug-ins. Please, make sure the plug-ins are up to date.

Hi Martin,
THANK you for your feedback!
This is a completly new installed (less than 3 weeks ago) Windows 11 machine, all plugins installed from scratch. So I thought you were wrong in that I should not have up-to-date plugins. However you are right. Both EastWest Opus and Slate plugins had updates available that I have now installed.
I have never used or installed AirEQ - however it was installed when I installed Slate VMR - together with 17 other plugins, that I have never used, or had license for. I un-installed all those plugins manually (which I did not know was possible, before I began to investigate today).
I have only used the PC for an hour, but it is now very fast, and have not crashed again - so far very positive, so THANK you!

1 Like

Hi,

Isn’t there any dialog coming from the plug-in in the background by any chance? Any license dialog or preset-browser or whatever?

Hi Martin,

Unfortunately, for the past days it is back to crashing again when I Quit Cubase. Please be aware, if I close a project, and open a new one, there is no problem. I can close and open several project without any issues - however when I quit Cubase, this is when it crashes.
I have uploaded three dump files from this morning.
Is there somehow I can read these dmp files myself? It was very helpful to understand that my Slate Digital plugins had issues, with the ones I have never used.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/7cbae81755c5a633993b458a601a53a320220520073744/46bc40b002d07be35adfb1d17bef3c4520220520073744/63e624

I mean problems and bugs should be sorted out by the vendors, but Cubase should still not crash, even if the plugins crash. Would be nice if you could leave a vote here if you think the same:

Solution to crashes by plugins - Sandboxing (Crash protection) - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

1 Like

Hi,

This is going to be resolved in the upcoming Cubase update.

1 Like

Super - looking forward to next update :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info Martin. Looking forward to it!

Defender is deleting the file ‘procdump64’ from the folder you extracted the procdump.zip.
Extract again but first add the folder you will use on the exclusions list on defender so will not quarantine the procdump64.
Repeat the procedure and it will now work.

So saying that will be fixed means that you found Cubase’s real problem behind the crash or a workaround. Do you care to elaborate?

How did you determine this?

It’s likely that the person is using the wrong filepath in the command line.

The same way you did. Assumption.

And because he didn’t manage to do it after your suggestion for the wrong filepath, as he stated when asked by Martin if he was successful with the procdump, then it’s likely that this is the reason. Or not. He can always try. It happened before too.

And more, sorry for correcting you but there are users that might be mislead if they try to use procdump after seeing this post.
In detail, he told you:

Meaning that after trying with the procdump he could STILL see no DMPs

And you replied:

But the DMP files generated by Procdump are not where you’re saying, they are generated inside the folder where the procdump is extracted. Correct me if I am wrong.

I will give you an example.
If you created a folder lets say on your desktop, and you named it “Procdump” and you extracted the contents of the downloaded “procdump.zip” in there, then when you run the command prompt as administrator the first command should be something similar to:
cd C:\Users\Jonathan\Desktop\Procdump
you hit enter
and after that you have to start cubase
and after that you will go back to cmd to give the command:
procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase12

If cubase crash at any point, look inside the procdump folder (where you extracted the .zip file) for the generated DMP file.

Hope that helps.

Hey Martin, just out of curiosity, because I see you recommending ProcDump a lot of times in these crash Threads. Isn’t this something Cubase/Nuendo should do automatically, without any need of an additional application?

If DMP files can be created by using ProcDump, I am pretty sure Steinberg can implement it directly into the program. This would make everything much less complicated, speed up troubleshooting and decimate the number of crash report threads a lot. Also ProcDump64 unfortunately does not work with big name plugin vendors like Softube, Kush, Slate, and many more.

What are your thoughts on this?

Hi,

I’m not Windows user. But I have learned, this is the only way to get a DMP file in these cases. And the DMP file is mandatory to see, what’s going on. More over, it’s Microsoft tool, so it’s very safe to use it. This is the reason, why do I recommend it.

ProcDump is Microsoft utility. Most probably it’s talking to the system directly. If this kind of routine would be implemented in Cubase, then it wouldn’t work, if Cubase hangs (in my opinion). It would need to be an external process.

Why something like this should be in Cubase, if there is native (system) solution?

There are a lot of programs running additional (helper) processes running in the background to ensure a stable performance, so that would not be a big hurdle.

There are 2 reasons why an internal solution would be better:

1. Because this debugging tool unfortunately does not work with a lot of big name 3rd party vendors, and is therefore very limited. When implemented internally, the developers could make sure, that it works with all type of plugins.

2. Because as a software company (especially in the DAW recording/mixing sector) it is very important to deliver a stable software, which is able to tell you what is wrong, when there is something wrong. You’re dealing with data which could be lost on crashes and ruin entire sessions. Also If you are working in this sector you don’t have time to troubleshoot everytime the program crashes.
    Having to use 3rd party apps to troubleshoot or make sure it works without crashes, hangs, etc. is just causing a feel, that the software is not complete yet. I worked for a long time in the software development and support sector, and usually when there was no easy way to at least show what the cause of an issue was, we concentrated on handling the exceptions the way we could successfully find the issues with our program.
    Because thats what the client paid us for.

To be honest I would already be happy, if ProcDump64 would work generally, but unfortunately that is not the case, so it is still just a half baked solution.
Also is there an equivalent for MAC users? How do they handle crashes without DMP files?

1 Like

Hi,

Yes, there is and this is somehow implemented in Cubase, because the system is handling crashes an easier way.

I think the “big name” is using a anti-debugger so it is intentional that you should not get debug information.

I hear you.
When I am trying with procdump, Cubase is crashing immediately when I switch over, after giving the command on procdump.
If I close it and switch between other apps or windows Cubase runs ok.

But then, when cubase crashes out of the blue, I get no DMPs.
So can’t run Cubase with it, can’t generate DMPs without it.
Kind of frustrating :roll_eyes:

1 Like