Cubase 12.0.20 crashes when I close project and project does not appear in recents

Since the first C12 iteration I experience this problem. It crashes almost 25% of the time when I close a project. And like you, it loads in safe mode without the correct recent files list.
For the moment, I simply send the log to the Steinberg team, hoping for a fix. It never crashed while operating since I got it, it happens only when I close files.

1 Like

No. I followed the instructions to the letter and I cant see any DMP files at all for this version of Cubase, I can only see DMP files for versions 12.0.0.205 and before. These are in the CrashDumps folder. The ProcDump folder has no DMP files in it, no matter how I navigate to it.

Out of curiosity, I tried running Cubase 12.0.20 as administrator. I was able to create new projects, close them without Cubase crashing, and the new projects appear in the Recents list.
I think that’s a good enough workaround for me until a new update comes along to fix the problem. This may help someone else with the same problems. There seem to be a few of us.

DMP file. I have pages of crashes. This is the latest.
Cubase 12.0.20.263 64bit 2022.5.7 20.13.59.416-freezedump.dmp (679.5 KB)

1 Like

New dmp files on WeTransfer:
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/461037bbde1c099962b9b9edb6dcf52b20220510205034/71197450cc8446c6f457bb669a87eabb20220510205035/0617ac

Hi,

Reported to Steinberg. Thank you.

Hi,

Reported to Steinberg. Thank you.

Thank you for this tip!
Cubase closed very fast, no issues, no crash and Cubase was fast on reload. Also Recent List seems to be correct.
Best tip for a very long time - thank you elgoview!

1 Like

Hi,

You shouldn’t run Cubase as administrator. This could cause some issues.

To me it sounds you have some permission issues. I would try to reinstall Cubase as administrator.

Martin is right. I tried 12.0.20 “run as administrator”. It didn’t crash but little things like Enable Track or Disable track wasn’t even an option.

Hi,

The crashes are in the AirEQ, Opus and Slate Digital plug-ins. Please, make sure the plug-ins are up to date.

Hi Martin,
THANK you for your feedback!
This is a completly new installed (less than 3 weeks ago) Windows 11 machine, all plugins installed from scratch. So I thought you were wrong in that I should not have up-to-date plugins. However you are right. Both EastWest Opus and Slate plugins had updates available that I have now installed.
I have never used or installed AirEQ - however it was installed when I installed Slate VMR - together with 17 other plugins, that I have never used, or had license for. I un-installed all those plugins manually (which I did not know was possible, before I began to investigate today).
I have only used the PC for an hour, but it is now very fast, and have not crashed again - so far very positive, so THANK you!

1 Like

Hi,

Isn’t there any dialog coming from the plug-in in the background by any chance? Any license dialog or preset-browser or whatever?

Hi Martin,

Unfortunately, for the past days it is back to crashing again when I Quit Cubase. Please be aware, if I close a project, and open a new one, there is no problem. I can close and open several project without any issues - however when I quit Cubase, this is when it crashes.
I have uploaded three dump files from this morning.
Is there somehow I can read these dmp files myself? It was very helpful to understand that my Slate Digital plugins had issues, with the ones I have never used.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/7cbae81755c5a633993b458a601a53a320220520073744/46bc40b002d07be35adfb1d17bef3c4520220520073744/63e624

I mean problems and bugs should be sorted out by the vendors, but Cubase should still not crash, even if the plugins crash. Would be nice if you could leave a vote here if you think the same:

Solution to crashes by plugins - Sandboxing (Crash protection) - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

1 Like

Hi,

This is going to be resolved in the upcoming Cubase update.

1 Like

Super - looking forward to next update :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info Martin. Looking forward to it!

Defender is deleting the file ‘procdump64’ from the folder you extracted the procdump.zip.
Extract again but first add the folder you will use on the exclusions list on defender so will not quarantine the procdump64.
Repeat the procedure and it will now work.

So saying that will be fixed means that you found Cubase’s real problem behind the crash or a workaround. Do you care to elaborate?