Cubase 12.0.20 maintenance update available

Then perhaps be mindful when telling people that a software suite works perfectly well for you, when you’re only using a small proportion of it, not to mention being unbothered about ‘small stuff’ working effectively or not.

Cubase is unique in it’s legacy, and therefore core foundations are antiquated compared to the competition. It hasn’t the modern codebase and slickness of most competing DAWs, which are able to push innovative features as the space is available to them.

Newer staff most likely lack the knowledge and tools to efficiently bug fix or improve older areas of the software. Hence why much is bolted on to the underlying tech to provide saleable features every 12 months.

Trouble is, when you bolt on top and users establish those features into their workflow it adds a whole new level of complications and limits the change to core foundations, and control of bugs gets out of hand.

New DAW’s just have better revision and bug control because they are not having to manage or service such legacy. Look what Cockos achieve with Reaper, and there’s like 2 developers who work on that. Studio One apparently took much of the talent and ideas from the Steinberg when it started to establish itself. Bitwig, likewise, had Ableton developers start a new project.

So yes, Cubase is unique in my eyes - it’s why I use it. After using other DAWs I’m convinced that the clunkiness and quirks are part of the charm, in fact! But am concerned, particularly that the new licensing has failed in regards to securing their assets - with the bugs I think people will be more tempted to ‘try’ before they buy, and may not transform into paying customers.

2 Likes

We own all of those DAWs (except Ableton) as well. Each one has their own issues but some have more than their share, However, I still contend that many “bugs” are based on compatibility with new OSs, new processors, plugins from various vendors that do not play well together and with various DAWs, and also, user error. If the developers would concentrate on compatibility and bug fixing within the industry as a whole for a development cycle many long-term and new additions coukd be stamped-out. Unfortunately, new features create revenue and bug fixes do not.

Studio One has been started by former Steinberg employees. Studio One is more efficient in terms of hardware requirements, feels smoother, is more user friendly, have less intrusive bugs and receives more frequent (free) updates for both fixes and new content.

EFNOTE has been started by former Roland employees. EFNOTE e-drums kits are better than Roland’s in many ways : Bigger pads, multiple sensors on every pad for better triggering and no hot-spot, including 360° playable hats and cymbals, hi-hat and cymbals movements are extremely realistic, and the module has less sounds but they are much more realistic than Roland’s.

That tells one thing : Those developers were limited by the company they were working at. Once they left, they have understood what was wrong in those companies “guidelines”, and decided not to reproduce that. They unleashed their full potential because they were free.

1 Like

You no nothing about what your talking about. You have no idea about the code base or how it works, you full of guess work and totally rubbish.

I’ve been using Cubase for 30 years, since my Atari ST. I have had nearly every version and I have used others at the sane time, including Octamed, Reason, then Pro Tools, then Ableton.

Don’t you dare tell me I’m only using a small part of the product. My projects include multiply synths and samplers, external effects and input recordings and average about 100 tracks a piece. I just don’t get hung up on thing when I can find other ways to do things, I would if I could not use the DAW as a whole or it was so broken I cannot make a track.

As I said, I use multiple DAWs and the only thing I do not use is Cubase plugins, I have about 500 plugins so, to me, Cubase does really have any plugins worth using and that is a very small part of the product anyway.

Stop prattling on with your utter incompetent guess work about Cubase code, their testing, how it works. You no nothing about coding, and nothing about the technical side of Cubase, stop pretending you do, you do not !.

My complaint is your constant calling Cubase out as being different to other DAWs for bugs, in my experience of the 5 other DAWs I use, Cubase is the same as the rest.

You seem to have found another DAW your in love with so go use it.

If you like Studio One so much go use it and stop using Cubase and stop pretending you know stuff you don’t. Your all guess work and moaning.

Everyone complains about bugs they find, bugs are annoying, but trying to pretend that Cubase is somehow unique and full of bugs that never get fixed while other DAWs are somehow perfect is just not true.

Yes and I looked at that software too but it turns out it does then work as well as Cubase in project of my side so I gave it a miss.

That was something there seemed to be some agreement about, it’s good but it’s not as efficient once the projects get over a destination size.

But once Studio One gets a larger user base it will end up with the same bugs as the rest.

Thank you, evidence based information about a product. Something so very lacking in this thread.

I’m waiting for the Halion update so fingers caressed the new version arrives soon. I suspected the other guy was totally guess about having to pay for Halion as a guess, another excuse to moan about Cubase, and I was correct lol but it’s also true by the looks of it.

Thanks for the update that it really us going to be a paid update chap. I’m cool with it though, something you pay for, some are free like Wavelab. Swings and roundabouts,

Now you are reacting with “fan boy” mentality. There are issues with all software by all vendors to varying extents. However, as long as vendors believe that the majority of users would be happier with a “new features” development cycle emphasis rather than a “stability and bug fix” emphasis, that is what they will do. Only through a large portion of the user base stating that they would prefer a stability and bug fix upgrade (that they would be willing to pay for), will the development cycle emphasis change.

You may be pleased with the state of Cubase development as it is…with work-arounds needed to fully use the software, but many aren’t and their voices are just as valid as yours. So, stop the bulling of people who don’t agree with your point of view and be more respectful. There is no place on a user forum for that attitude.

Ok, I’ll message you on this.

Octamed, eh? now you’re talking! :slight_smile: I started on MED that was free on Amiga format (uk) magazine and it opened up this whole audio creation world for me. Was getting my music distributed via the magazine’s coverdisks (CDs by then). Good times, and glad to see a fellow user!

…I went Music-X before Cubase though.

You said you don’t use any of the plugins, and don’t worry about “small stuff” after I highlighted the issues I have to work around and have just accepted as ‘broken’ for me.

The integration of the stock plugins, strips, variaudio and other such features are a huge part of the suite. In your own words you don’t use any of the (100+) stock plugs as you deem them far worse than third party equivalents.

Yes, you’re just using it as a glorified tape recorder, and could do the same in Reaper, Pro Tools or whatever you want. Users who are invested in the Steinberg eco system and want to embrace the suite of tools ARE experiencing issues and having to work around decades old bugs. Not sure what the problem is really, it makes you no less of a user.

And telling the world that it runs perfectly despite you not using such a vast majority is what? Some kind of balance to those?

If you’ve not noticed I’m walking the middle line between such extreme views. Really not sure what your problem is lol.

1 Like

I Already said that HALion 7 was part of the new licensing promos. If you’ve not been under a rock it’s very evident. But from a logical/development view it’s appreciable why they have to go this route vs GA which is basically the same codebase as GA SE.

1 Like

Yes I was responding first thing in the morning, not my best moment for sure. I was put out by someone claiming I only use a small parts of Cubase. Because I have my own plugins.

My point remain, there are bugs, they need to be fixed. As with all software.

I’m not saying Cubase is any better than any other DAW, I’m saying it’s the same.

Would I love a release with a lot of bug fixes, yes. But it would not keep anyone happy because software is complex so there would be more bugs of the back of that. And every release does have bug fixes, just not enough to keep everyone happy, that’s not a target any company can keep.

If we had to wait until all bugs are fixed for software to be released we would never get software released, look at the App Store, every day there are updates with bug fixes. Look at windows, bug fixes, look at Mac OSX , bug fixes with new features. Every software has bugs.

Releasing a large amount of bug fixes as a major release with no new features would be very costly for a company. Much less new revenues.

Asking for a road map for bugs to be put in sequence would be a better approach than slating and putting down the developers and testers.

I’m not defending Cubase based on their performance. I’m saying it’s the nature of the beast to some extent and telling Steinberg how to run their company will not make any difference.

Ppl singling out Cubase as having a legacy of issues unlike any other DAW with customers leaving in droves . That the kind of rubbish I’m railing against.

Cubase is no better or worse than other DAWs.

1 Like

It’s not evident when they just released wave lab update to M1 and new licensing for free. I thought that would be paid for but it was not.

Oh what this, studio one and ppl complaining about bugs:

PreSonus Forums | Studio One 5.5 official discussion thread | Page 3 | Studio One Forum Community Support

My point is Cubase is no better or any worse than any other DAW. Lots of use use different parts with different issues.

I spent many long long hour not being able to get a FireWire interface to work. Days when I’d have an idea and start my computer and then spent the next 6 hour wonder why my mixing desk and interface and computer are no longer talking. Wondering if it should be the legacy FireWire drivers or not. Those where the days when you could not make music one day but could the next.

So from those day to now I can put bugs into buckets. Some I care about some not so much. Bugs I do not care about bother you but that’s not to say I do not want them fixing.

I’m saying all DAWs are like it. That does not excuse it either. But, there will always be bugs, listing them and getting ppl to vote of them might help like that Wiki. But it has to be done in a sensitive manner. It also needs a lot of buy-in from other users and with out that it’s nothing.

I do not think Cubase is perfect, it has issues, I could not use version 9 for a couple of months due to video drivers, I had to drag my PC out and change the video card, then Creator editing of windows stuffed everything up for a while. I’m not saying there have not been issues and there are none now. I’m saying they all do so get some perspective on it.

Apologies of I was ratty earlier, it was the first thing I saw in the morning before coffee, sorry about that. Your only trying to get things fixed. But singling out Cubase amongst other DAWs might not be the best Strategy.

I’m also a software developer (not on music software but large business project), that’s how I make real money lol. I get so tired of ppl telling me how the code works, why it’s broken and how easy it us to fix. Users do it, managers do it, other developers that have never seen the code do it. They are usually all wrong lol I guess I have a build in protection wall again what coders face every day

I would say bring nice to Steinberg will get things fixed quicker lol

You will catch more flies with honey as they say…I’m one to talk as I’m rather miserable in the morning as you can see.

I totally agree with you on that! Cubase has its bugs as does every other piece of software we use. Over the past 40 years my experience has been that each DAW has gone through periods when it was relatively free of bugs and then periods when it seemed cursed. lol

I am concerned that over the last few years all of the audio software we use seems to have more bugs, and more show-stopping ones, then we experienced n the past. During this same period, computer audio recording hardware and software has become more complex, resulting in many more chances for more incompatibility issues to creep-in. In addition, the complexity of the hardware and software has made the use of audio hardware and software more difficult for new users resulting in more user reported issues often identified by them as “bugs” when they are user errors.

I also agree with you that bug and compatibility fixing is expensive and impacts developer revenues. The only source of income for some developers is upgrade sales and the occasional add-ons. The developers are also inundated with user demands for “a feature that another competing DAW has” and they feel the pressure to “keep-up”. This situation must be very difficult for most vendors.

I for one, would be more than happy to pay a full update fee for a compatibility and bug fix update that actually made a major difference. However, I may be alone.

Have a great day and happy music making!

1 Like

I think I might pay for a full bug fix release but would I pay the full £90? maybe not.

I might scan the list of fixes and if I can get by without spending £90 I would. That’s the problem. If I read the bug list and thought, “I never even noticed that” well my money is not getting spent. There is also the idea of paying to fix something that is broken, some will not do that.

There are no easy fixes. Maybe asking users to rank the bugs by voting on them would be good but the bugs have to come from support. Else we end up with user errors and functionality that was never designed to work the way someone thinks it should in the list too.

Generally there are only going to be so many bugs fixed in a year. That’s probably a fact (I don’t know if they would do a full bug fix release). So once ppl except that not everything can be fixed then get users to vote on them. But then the developers might say “that tiny fix to the EQ, that means taking the whole thing apart and re-coding it and that will be 2 month to do that. So then we would need feed back from Steinberg to say “you cannot have all of these top 50 unless you remove these 5 because these will take a lot of time”. So then Steinberg have to get someone to spend time on that too.

But more than that there users who care nothing about anything software related. They don’t want to spend time voting or understand what the bugs are or coming to a forum. They just want to make music. So any vote is not really a reflection of the user base. There are no easy answers, which is a shame.

I imagine that if Cubase loses a 1000 ppl per year because of bugs but gains 5000 per year because of new features. Well that’s just business.

1 Like

Cubase/Nuendo 12.0.30 is available on Steinberg Download Assistant.

2 Likes

Aha excellent ! Hope it solves a lot of problems for everyone who has them.

1 Like

Hello, cubase12 how to deauthorize, the old device is broken, currently in use on the new device, prompting me that I have three devices using my cubase12, but I am using one device

Contact Steinberg Support in your region.

1 Like

Due to the epidemic situation, the phone in my local area has not been answered, and I don’t know when I will be able to contact, and I urgently need to deal with this Please help.

@1422528
Please do not post in any other language than English here.

1 Like