Cubase 12.0.20 performance issues

@JohnS, so you are saying that your system is performing worse after the Cubase 12.0.20 update?

1 Like

The plug-in window issue will hopefully be addressed in the 12.0.30 update.

8 Likes

Later edit:
So, if you are having issues with Cubase 12 Pro freezing while launch or while you close it, i found a solution. So, if you are having previous Cubase versions like 10.5 or 11, you will need to delete the preferences files for the previous versions (you can back them up and then replace them) and then you need to start Cubase 12. Afterwards you can copy back the preferences for the old versions. It seems like after the installation, when you launch Cubase 12, it takes the preferences from the previous versions and it seems there are some compatibility issues.
You can find the preferences files location below:

On Windows, preference files are stored in the following location: “\Users\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\”.

On macOS, preference files are stored in the following location: “/Library/Preferences//” under your home directory.

For me it worked, hopes that it works for you too!
Good luck!

Initial post:
Hello.
My Cubase 12 freezes every time i close it, doesn’t matter what project i load. I am running Win10. You can find the attached .dmp file.
Any ideas?
Cubase 12.0.20.263 64bit 2022.4.27 17.47.28.577-freezedump.dmp (515.7 KB)

2 Likes

This could be my mistake mistake on Aturia synths too much polyphony used
I had a synth on 16 and it maxes out red bars ,but the Asio guard does not operate
Put a few synths on different tracks and the Asio Guard kicks in.
Well is it my mistake or not .?
The other thing is that the asio guard goes to max and stays there with Korg Wavestate and soon as you start playing it falls back, weird that one
With Arturia Jupiter 6 ,the first lead sound maxes out and the Asio guard does not move at all
I just dont understand how this all works out

All the Best
john

Here are some strange behaviors.
Win 10 system with the latest update and with professional audio setup (many services disabled etc …).
Old CPU i7 930 System with RME raydat (latest drivers, latest frimware).

At the opening of cubase with 64 buffersize the meter “peaks” moves a lot even without activity. The steinberg’s tuner and Sonarworks plugin placed in inserts on the control room main out continue to create very serious performance issue (in 11 this did not happen) in general all the plugins loaded in inserts on the main out of the control room still create considerable performance drops.

4 posts were split to a new topic: Menus open slow in Cubase 12.0.20

I have had crash issues as well as many vst plugins not opening to full view (NI Raum as an example) or in the case of NI Massive X Cubase simply crashes when opening Massive X as a plugin.
I have gone through most of the “remedies” stated in the forum however nothing has changed.
If I run Cubase Pro 11 I get no issues at all.
My system runs on Win 10 Pro vs 21H2, i7-6700K CPU 32GB DDR4 6 x SSD drives, GTX760 2GB nVidia with latest drivers.
Cubase 12 seems extremely unstable and a lot slower than the previous version 11.
I have no choice but to use Version 11 PRO until some fix is found. Rather disappointing as I have been a Cubase user since version 5 and have never had issues as this upgrade before, and I have gone through every upgrade since version 5.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know! I’ll make sure to deactivate those on my current projects before updating!

Dear support/steinberg development team.

Thank you! Every issue that I had with audio dropouts during recording and the choppy behavior of my midi controllers is now resolved in the update 12.0.20.

System: an HP z840 with dual Xeon E5-2690v4 with 28 cores / 56 threads running Windows 10 latest release/cumulative update.
Recording interface: Behringer x32 via USB.

4 Likes

I don’t know if my post here will have any value, but I’ll try:

I migrated right to Cubase 12 from another DAW and every now and then after launching Cubase I saw this window:

c

I was looking forward to seeing these problems disappear after update to version 12.0.10, but they didn’t disappear even after update to version 12.0.20.

To cut a long story short, the Scheps Omni Channel by Waves was to blame. After updating that plugin from version 10 to current version no more Safe Mode window after Cubase launch.

1 Like

Hey there,

Can confirm that .20 has improved overall stability on MacOS 12.3

Don’t know if this belongs here but the following issues still crop up:

Multi Channel Freewarp is Still destroying the phase coherence of the whole clip, even after markers that have not been moved.

Halion Sonic SE3 is absolutely smashing the CPU. One instance of this with a bog standard synth lead is overloading the system completly.

Otherwise very smooth! Everything looks great, sounds great and is sucking less CPU overall. Good Job!

2 Likes

Sorry for the duplicate posts but I saw the link after my previous post in another topic so I think it’s relevent to post it here :
Hello,

Since the v12 I have always the same problem with an interminable scan of the VST3 and I’m not the only one who have that issue … Last elapsed time of start Cubase : 6 minutes 30 before to have the hub appears !!! and with the v12.0.20 … it’s a nightmare really ! I have opened a ticket with Steinberg but nothing for the moment I have x times deleted my preferences etc … I hope they will have other idea to save my situation …
Gigabyte Z390 Designare i9 9900K with 32 Gb RAM and all on SSD for the data we can’t say it’s a little machine which have no cpu power !!!
I had another issue which was close cubase = freeze and I was able to solve it by change the launch of cubase by mode administrator, now Cubase closes properly

I solved exactly the same issue for me by run Cubase in ‘administrator mode’ (tab compatibility in the properties of the Cubase Icon on the windows desk put ‘execute in admin mode’)

3 Likes

Hi
I had this also after the last update saw me with a stable Cubase 12
I also had a No Licence warning box appear.
I restarted my machine and the next time it was ok…
I still get certain synths maxing out and have a good fast i7 six core machine.
Things appear to be ok for now but Arturia synths on certain sounds max out without the Asio guard kicking in. So if certain sounds hit red they cough and splutter a little.
I will just have to render tracks to wave and delete the Instrument VST.
I thought good computers could handle what vst’s are out on the market.

new bug ive found in 12.0.20 update. can anyone else try replicate this.

i have aas player on a channel my project is silent nothing is playing but if i click to open my input/output folder at the top of the arranger page and click on stereo out then i get a very very loud noise coming from the aas player channel and its not the sound loaded up in aas player.
it sounds as though on a real mixer if you have a dodgy cable which is causing electric feedback but i have no broken cables the sound is created in cubase .

ive tried it 3 times now and same time it happens.

1 Like

just to note … Installed 12.0.20 and it binned Groove Agent 5SE, I had to re-install it.

Seems like after a few plays of same section, the ASIO guard meter gradually goes up until the audio drops.
Upgrading to this version was a waste of time and money, back to Cubase 11 (again) for now.

1 Like

Why are people still running with hyperthreading off? I thought that was sorted in Cubase 10.5?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Menus open slow in Cubase 12.0.20

The update is most excellent!
It was released way faster than i thought it would be.
Everything is working flawlessly.
Great job.
Many thanks to everyone at Steinberg.
:smiley:

1 Like