Cubase 12.0.20 : the less stable update for a decade

Hi,

So I was excited to finally have cubase 12 on my M1 MAX when the 12.0.20 was released.

This update is amazing when you look at the new features ! And the native M1 version looks promising for performance.

But in fact it is the worst update of the past decade :

• 96 crashes in 2 days (1 over the same time with Studio One) : unbearable ! So many different crashes I dont even know why !
  • ATMOS support is fully bugged, ADM export is erratic
  • VU meter not working in Console
  • C12 Hangs when settings plugins settings. I Had to killed it dozens of time.
  • Random Crashes when loading project after starting cubase. Restarting cubase and reloading the same project may work
  • Amibosonics is broken when in High ASIO Guard
  • Crash when adding ambisonic group in atmos project
  • CC121 is not working anymore (but works fine with Cubase 11 on my mac)
  • Crash opening Suround project from Nuendo (which doesnt crash of course)
  • Random crashes when changing the routing in ATMOS project

How is that even possible ? Did Steinberg pass on the QA en beta tests ?
And all that in just 2 days !

How long will we have to wait for a stable and working C12 ?

Meanwhile I have no other choice than going back to Studio One, waiting for a stable update of C12.

I am really disapointed. Again C12 looks stunning, but this third C12 version is not even a beta for me !

3 Likes

It reads like a third party plugin could disturb C12. I did not encounter these problems until now…

I’ve had more crashes lately too. Win10 here tho. I even did a full refresh of my ‘Cubase_64’ folder, which I think is where most of my preferences are.

I didn’t have problems with the .10 release so maybe I should have left it alone.

I was forced to give up on Atmos and roll back to v. 11 , the problems I encountered in 12 are just too many. 12.020 is the worst I agree, can’t use VEP and Cubase started freezing on the splash screen (Control Room part), something that never happened to me since Cubase 6. Trashed preferences, clean install, bugs persisted. Same computer, same plugins, same hardware work perfectly in Cubase 11.

Are you on M1 Mac ? Running Native or Rosetta ?

Most of those crashes and issues happens in simple projects, with Steinberg plugins !

For the rest I use the same plugins with C11 and Studio One without issues.

Yes, that’s why the subject of this thread was the worst update in a decade !

Steinberg should realize that this C12 release is not acceptable and fix those issues urgently. They should never have released C12 in such a state.

1 Like

Why do you think this? My specs are in my profile, btw.

I have been away from Cubase Pro since around C9.5, and just came back to C11 at the beginning of the year.

I remember back then there was also much wailing and gnashing of teeth about Cubase updates, upgrades, bugs, etc.

So having missed out on about three or four years of updates/upgrades, and not remembering clearly how bad (or not so bad) the updates from 2017 and earlier truly were, my question is … do the experts and well-experienced users here think the title of the OP is accurate, or are the problems with the C12 update/upgrade just more of the same?

Thanks!

Probably every person you ask will give you a different answer. I have only poked around in Pro 12, maybe spend 4-5 hours in total. Even though there has been tons of reports on the forums of v12 crashing, I haven’t had a single crash with v12. I’ve seen bugs, but nothing that caused a catastrophic failure.

1 Like

I haven’t even hit any ‘bugs’ yet here running on an Intel Mac Mini and not a single crash since day 1.
Cubase is just working as it has been since I first installed 11 all the way through to the current version.

1 Like

Can’t say that C12 is inherently more unstable than previous version. Some minor bugs, but not tons of crashes, except those that are caused by plugins, and that’s not Cubase’s fault.
As far as I can remember, with every Cubase release you hear people complaining that it was the most unstable release ever and shouldn’t have been released etc. With every major change of a software there is a risk of bugs, and sometimes you just have bad luck and your combination of operating system, hardware, drivers and plugins is prone to problems. The last time that happened to me was C4 or C4.5, which was a major crashfest at the beginning, and of course that is annoying as hell.

1 Like

I would have given up at 5 crashes! Have to say though for me it’s been quite stable. I did have 2 crashes but that was caused by a plugin and a soundcard issue, otherwise it’s been very stable and enjoyable actually.

I have similar issues here. While the 12 release started quite well for me for the last 2 days its been a nightmare (but i do admit i had much more work in the last 2 days). Im on windows 11. Crashing and freezing:

1. open older session- crash
  2. Try to create a new project- hard freeze solvable only by ending process in the task manager
  3. Mixdown a project and try to quit- hard freeze with a zipper stuck noise solvable only by ending process in the task manager
  4. Start Cubase- hard freeze on Loading Chord Pads
  5. Start cubase - Hard freeze on Scanning VST3
  6. Trying to copy inserts in the mixer (native and 3rd party) Hard freeze again

ive counted more that 30 crashes in the event viewer
Unfortunately there is no crash dumps created. The only report i see is in the Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: Cubase12.exe, version: 12.0.20.263, time stamp: 0x6262c0c5
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22000.527, time stamp: 0x931cda92
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000003929c
Faulting process id: 0x15f0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d862cb1477dd04
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 12\Cubase12.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: aa45d5e9-f3b0-4e1e-8a49-f71fca154a35
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Windows 11, both 12.010 and 12.0.20 Tried reinstalling and removing preferences no luck.
These issues happen randomly

Hope this gets resolved soon

Since these crashes are most probably caused by plugins as well, you could be interested in this FR too. Would be cool if you could leave a vote there:

Solution to crashes by plugins - Sandboxing (Crash protection) - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

My guess from reading the forum is that C12 is a lot more susceptible to third parties and system setups.

You may notice how it performs well to some and with many issues to others.

Third party plugins conflicts weren’t that influencial in previous versions as far as I know.

I noticed that video cards are more likely to mess up with Cubase than in earlier versions and so on. Again, this is my personal guess and I would love to hear from the Steinberg guys that are hanging around if this is the case.

This update brought some serious changes like ditching the dongle so more issues would be expected I guess. The increased attention from Steinberg employees in the forum would indicate to me that they at least expected a bit of a rocky ride.

Personally I have had no issues what so ever so for me it’s been smooth sailing. I’ve had one or two crashes on 12. Both plugin related.

Posts in the forum about issues is no valid indication. First of all people with problems will post more than those without them. If there seems to be more of them this could also be because more people use it or more people engage with the forum (which has been improved).

There’s also some other things going on that might play into it like new hardware architectures or OS updates and many vendors rushing to get VST3 plugs out. A perfect storm kind of thing.

I’m not saying this release is better or worse than any other. Its certainly had its fair share of teeth gnashing amongst users (especially pre release) but if it’s a successful launch or not only Steinberg could tell I think.

Third party plugins conflicts weren’t that influencial in previous versions as far as I know.

For me, they were. 12 is the most troublefree update in years;. Probably also because plugins have matured.

We discussed a scenario with crashes some weeks ago… in that particular case, the problem was, that a VST2 plugin (DLL) was accidental installed in the VST3 folder.

I think it still quite bad to be a .20. Early 10.0 was quite bad too with big memory leaks. I think is bad that they dont have quicker releases. Not they will soon release a new fix with a lot of fixer, but it also likely to have new issues too. And we getting in to summer and by then things will slow down even more. It was a few month late and that is usually not a good thing so to me it was expected to have issues, and I it is still a few months behind the normal quality. (And that normal quality is not impressively good either)

Strange, I still have less problems…