Cubase 12.0.30 performance issues

thanx for feedback. i’m on monterey 12.0. everything else is very similar to you, also using an Aurora Lynx not a duet. will try updating the o.s. and see if that helps. the way the crashes happen make me feel like its some kinda graphics error, but i’m a musician not a computer repair man :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

Sorry, I mean the hardware. Is it MacBook Pro or other Mac type? Which model is it?

Hi Martin, Ryan computer is a Mac Pro, 2013. :slight_smile:

Totally understand that feeling.
Now that you mentioned that, there have been plugins and VSTi where I had to disable OpenGL in their options, otherwise system would tend to freeze and being very laggish (off the top of my head XLN audio, OekSound, Noise Ash…)

Hi,

Can you reproduce it with one specific project only, or with any project, please?

I cant export at all in 12.0.30

1 Like

Hi,

Why not? What happens?

I get this error only when I’m trying to export a file with the same name as the file I keep open in other app in that moment (accidentally). Cubase just cant rewrite the file because it’s used by other app, which is fair.
This is probably not the case here but maybe it can help someone.

Just reminding Steinberg that exporting audio is 2-3 times slower in 12 than 11 on my M1 laptop.

Same problem for me as on earlier versions of Pro 12 (Decent Spec W10 PC) …Cpu spikes still bad. I recently loaded up a Cubase 11 project into 12 and it was dropout city - nothing has changed on my setup other than going from 11 to 12 and for me its a retrograde step. If I’ve anything important to work on - I load up Cubase 11… not happy…

1 Like

Thank you for the Tip — After “Disable GPU Acceleration” cubase is running more powerful

3 Likes

I have been able to connect the sluggishness I have experienced to Melodyne (or possibly ARA).
If I use Melodyne on a track and make the edits permanent, even though the audio extension is removed, editing the track becomes extremely sluggish. More or less useless.

Workaround :

1. Create new track and move the audio to the new track
  2. Delete old track and everything is fine.

Do not duplicate the track. It won’t work.
It seems the track in itself is somehow “contaminated”.

Hi,

Have you tried Render in Place or Bounce Selection, please?

That’s what I mean with “make the edits permanent”.
Sorry for not explaining better.

If I render to a new track, the new track is obviously ok.

However, if I use “Make track extension permanent” or bounce the audio, I’ll be working on the same track and that’s when it becomes unuseable for edits. If I move the audio to a new track and delete the old one - all is ok. I can edit gain envelope, move regions, cut/paste and so on as usual.

Actually, if I add Melodyne as an extension to any region or track and remove it: the affected track is now sluggish beyond belief for any editing. It’s like Cubase still thinks ARA is involved or something. :thinking:

It’s not entirely consistent. Sometimes it actually works as expected. :smiley:

Yes I was connected to the internet. I downloaded Cubase 12.0.30 and installed it right after downloading from the Steinberg site.

Also, I’m using a Mac with OS Monterrey 12.5 installed. I’m still using CB 12.0.20

Windows 10/64 i7 Haswell, onboard video, RME HD9652
In addition to the shutdown issues that started years ago, now the -startup- is getting flaky.

1. Sometimes, Cubase hangs during the Licens Check.

2. -Occasionally-, it goes POOF (disappears from the screen without a trace.)

3. Sometimes the ‘Content’ says it is not licensed. All of it.

A soft re-boot is necessary, Just End Task doesn’t do it. Something is ‘stuck’ and trying to re-start Cubase simply repeats the same symptoms.

-Ive been tracking this issue for over 3 years.
-I’ve reached out to steinberg many times, in addition to writing about it on the forums for years, for suggestions on WHAT specific hardware platform will work better with C12. Nothing. No recommended platforms from steinberg.

So I’ve built yet ANOTHER system in this span of time, and this time the issue is 100% gone regardless of BIOS power management, CPU management, or hyperthreading settings.

I just built:
i9 12900KF 16/24 core (P and E cores)
EVGA Z690 Classified motherboard
32GB DDR5 @ 5600mhz
m.2 SSDs
3090ti GPU
Using my same Focusrite 8i6 gen3 audio interface from the last workstation

I can throw anything at this and I never hear a pop or see an overload indicator. I can play native instruments pharlight and straylight without CPU overloads, which is astounding. Ive just spent 3 hours doing as much as I can, and the pops/clicks and meter spiking is gone.

Looks like I’ve found ONE hardware combo that works. I wonder if there are any others? We may never know.

2 Likes

And do you have the same plugins installed ? Maybe that was caused by some licensing system that was running in the background…

1 Like