Cubase 12.0.40 crashes after upgrading to Windows 22H2

After upgrading to Windows 22H2 (and installing the latest cumulative Windows Update for it), Cubase crashes when I load a song that loaded and played just fine before this update. Crash logs attached. Hopefully they will provide some insight because I’m dead in the water now and will have to restore the previous Windows version to get back to a working system…
crash (1.2 MB)


The crashes are in the iZotope Ozone.

Make sure you have the latest update installed, please. Try to install it as administrator. If the crashes remain, get in contact with the plug-in vendor, please.

1 Like

Ah, thanks. I’ll sort it out with iZotope.


I would also recommend you to switch your MIDI to the new WinRT MIDI Ports.

How do I do that?

Enable Airplane mode. Dunno why but cubase never crashed again since then in my case.

I don’t think is about Windows. Today I just got tired of dealing with so many crashes in C12 and switched back to Cubase 11 which never got a crash ever. I’ve sent Dump Files to Steinberg but they said there are a lot of issues still without solution. I will wait for a better time for Cubase. What bother me is I’ve run to buy Cubase 12 the very first day because I trusted on Steinberg … but they disappointed me. I won’t give up on they but I’m really upset with the hard time I had with C12. Hopefully everything will be fine in the future.

1 Like

To close this out: I found the setting to use the new WinRT MIDI ports.

Bad idea!

After switching to them, half of my USB-MIDI connected devices didn’t show up anymore as available MIDI ports. I’m guessing it’s some sort of driver incompatibility where the new WinRT libraries can’t “see” USB MIDI devices with older drivers? Either way, when I switched back to the “old” MIDI handling, all my devices showed up again - phew!

Unfortunately, this somehow messed up all the audio connections(?!) in my External Instrument settings, so I had to manually re-do those. And, after switching back to the “old” MIDI handling, Cubase didn’t send MIDI to them anymore. Shutting down the computer, then power-cycling all MIDI devices, and then rebooting fixed things, luckily, and I am now back in business.

So, the lesson here is: Be careful when switching to the new WinRT setting. Based on my experience, I would suggest not switching to it unless you have a compelling reason to do so.

If anybody has any insight into what may have happened here, I’d be curious, but otherwise, I’m going to leave well enough alone, and hopefully they won’t deprecate the old way of handling MIDI any time soon (or at least until they can make this work right with all the 3rd party code out there).

1 Like

I don’t know if you saw this but there is a Steinberg help page regarding WinRT MIDI. It points out the following:

Drawbacks of WinRT MIDI

  • Old MIDI hardware can run into compatibility issue because the MIDI ports are simply named “MIDI”. This is an issue that hasn’t been addressed in Windows, however, some components (e.g. some MIDI Remote implementations) rely on specific MIDI port names and they might stop working if WinRT MIDI is used. It is possible though to rename the MIDI ports in the Studio Setup allowing you to identify your ports at least.
  • If ports are detected twice, you can uncheck “Use Device ‘WinRT MIDI’” and enable it again. The duplicate entries should be gone then.

Thanks! I did read that part of the Steinberg documentation, but I don’t think that’s the issue I’m experiencing because a bunch of MIDI ports simply disappeared (rather than just having a “MIDI” name) when I switched Cubase to using the WinRT MIDI API.

Understood. We haven’t had cause to try the WinRT MIDI settings yet and, judging by your experience, we won’t be going there anytime soon.

1 Like


In the Studio > Studio Setup > MIDI Ports Setup, enable the Use WinRT MIDI option, please.

1 Like