Cubase 12.0.50 MIDI Remote "Parameter Bank" controls

Ηi again, just some notes-warnings:

As I’ve said earlier, I’ve mapped all channelStrip effects. This works great!

However, concerning insert effects and plugin parameters and though I’ve successfully mapped some of them, just for testing puproses, you have to deal with it creating your own banks/shortcuts system and that apart from time consuming, can lead to mapping errors when for e.g. a plugin is updated and its params are reindexed. This might cause issues and can turn our project not easily maintainable. I have some thoughts on this one, which I’m going to present in detail once I upload my Arturia Keylab MK2 script and see what other users think about them.
So, for now, I’ve turned to mapping these plugins in the default way, i.e. makeZones and banks of zones. This way, unfortunately I map everything to faders and knobs, while it is obvious that a button should be mapped to a button, a fader to a fader and a knob to a knob in my opinion. But at least it doesn’t suffer from the issue described earlier.

Now, concerning the duplicates you see and I’ve noticed too, I believe this may be intentional in order to keep some of them in other banks as well. But who know?

I completely agree with you, this API is in evolving state, and I find the whole process great :slight_smile:

Ah, the Endorphin rush when it all… finally…works! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So, I wonder what would happen if different MIDI CCs are bound to duplicates of a parameter?

I think expanding the makeParameterValue() method to include a parameter number (makeParameterValue(parameter number)), or even better, a parameter label (eg. makeParameterValue(‘RevTime’)) could provide a way to accurately choose, map and bind plug-in parameters to surface elements and MIDI CC or note events and avoid duplicates.

I’m looking forward to checking out your script!

In the latest version of my script, I abandoned the mapping process of plugins (except from the EQ and pregain). So, now, exactly as you say, multiple CCs trigger the same (duplicate param). I don’t know exactly the internal handling but it works fine, at least so it seems. (Perhaps it duplicates the step of change but I haven’t noticed something bad)

Very good suggestion! I have another one as a feature-request about the type of the param to bind to. To me, it’s much better to bind a button to a button and so on.
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/mparameterbankzone-additional-property/831806

Now, if you really want and have the time to map your plugins, I’ll tell you about my initial script:
I was creating a gigaintic paramZone (I was looping through 200+ params with makeParameterValue) as if my controller surface supports this size.
By using in testing the sub

param.mOnTitleChange=function(activeDevice,activeMapping,pluginName,paramName){}

I grabbed every parameter. When finished, I created multiple customVars (200) and I’ve mapped the ones to the parameters I wanted, avoiding duplicates and also, correctly mapping buttons to buttons and so on.

However, I worried about the consistency of so many params getting handled and this is the reason I abandoned it, apart from the possibility of the plugin’s creator, changing params.

If you think you want to try this approach, I can share the code, no problem :slight_smile:

Hi saxmand,
have you found a solution on how to enable and choose channel strip effects by scripting?
Thanks in advance, Emre

No. I’m using SoundFlow scripts for now.
Hopefully we will see much more stuff in the MIDI remote in C13/N13.

What a pity, many thanks anyway!

Soundflow works with Cubendo? I thought it was just Pro Tools

It works with any program in MacOS.
It just doesn’t have a lot of build in functionality. So it takes a bit to get more out of it.
I think where it definitely beats KeyboardMaestro is the fact that it has surfaces available, so you can use your iPad to control commands.

Works with most of my VSTi but with some plugins I am unable to save my settings after „learn“, they allways switch to their initial settings (Ps-20, Retrologue2…