" Cubase 12 and 13 Hanging and crashing at "Reading Project File"

After working absolutely fine on both cubase 12 and 13 my MacBook M2 running on Sonoma 4.1.2 has started hanging and crashing.

Process:
Open Cubase
Cubase loads all settings, plugins etc successfully.
Choose a project to load
Box appears saying “reading Project File”, the Blue time remaining bar moves a bit then just hangs.
Have to hard close Cubase and re open.
I have loaded cubase with third party apps closed and with factory settings only and same outcome.
It started happening on Cubase 13. I installed cubase 12 just to check and same outcome.

I have hardware checked everything on my laptop and all is fine (ram, processor etc). The Mac has plenty of cpu and ram resources while trying to load projects. I have updated all plugins and apple iOS. Again, projects that opened absolutely fine now won’t load, no projects will load.

Please help!

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Could you attach *.ips file(s), if you have any?

Mac: macOS Console utility > Crash Reports (or ~user/Library/Logs/Diagnostic Reports).

1 Like

Thanks for responding.

Apologies, I think that’s my poor terminology.

Cubase hangs and then the app becomes unresponsive. I have to right click and “Force Close” the app. So there is no crash log generated

Thanks for responding.

Apologies, I think that’s my poor terminology.

Cubase hangs and then the app becomes unresponsive. I have to right click and “Force Close” the app. So there is no crash log generated

Not even empty projects? I mean, you can’t even create new projects?

Hi,

Do you see any *.ips file(s) in the mentioned locations, please?

I have the same problem, and support never helped. The only workaround is to turn off your WIFI and then turn it back on.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Could you attach the *.ips/dmp file(s), please?

I also have the same problem, the only difference is that I don’t have WiFi on my home computer, a LAN connection. There is also no dmp file. The only way to kill Cubase is in the task manager. Every third opening of the project ends with a freeze… I didn’t have that problem in Cubase 12. I just installed Cuabse 13 which picked up the settings from C12. It’s interesting that this bug appeared a week ago, then disappeared and then reappeared :slight_smile:

Screenshot 2024-02-03 110419