Cubase 12 and Sonarworks profile switching issue

Hello :slight_smile:
So I ended up upgrading my monitor controller (2400 audio imperium) with a USB expansion that allows me to assign the 3 output buttons on it with my 3 sound id reference profiles using the midi learn option, so whenever I switch outputs on my monitor controller- it will also change my sound id reference profile and it works just fineā€¦as long as Iā€™m on my mac desktop and NOT on Cubase.
In Cubase I can either:
1)have my sound device be Sonarworks reference id:
And then switching the profiles works (meaning whenever I press the assigned button on my monitor controller it changes the profile on reference id) BUT that means my INPUTS on Cubase are also sound id reference andā€¦ I canā€™t record.
2)Have my sound device be my apogee symphony desktop and then I CAN record BUT changing profiles doesnā€™t work anymore when I press the assigned button on my monitor controller, that means I have to change it manually on sound id reference, which in turn negates the whole seamless experience of changing profiles that I paid for by buying the USB expansion for my monitor controller.
3)Use Control Room on Cubase and insert the sound id reference plugin on the control room inserts, BUT the profiles there cannot be midi assigned nor be controlled by the buttons on the monitor controller that I successfully assigned on my desktop.

My question is:
What do I need to do in order to switch sound id profiles with a press of the assigned button on my monitor controller while iā€™m ON Cubase?

Thanks!

P.s
So what I currently do as a temporary workaround is: whenever I finish recording and I mix I use sonarwork and cubaseā€™s audio device and then switching profiles works the way I need it to work.
I just hope my desktop reference id wonā€™t interfere with my mixdown as it is not an insert anywhere on Cubase.
Whenever I record i need to change the audio device to the Apogee symphony desktop and then I am limited to only one output but thatā€™s fine for the recording process.

This was Sonarworks replay tho It didnā€™t really answered my question fully :
Please be aware that the plugin itself does not configure MIDI, this is done by the DAW and every DAW does this differently. Please refer to this article on MIDI mapping in Cubase: MIDI Learn

I donā€™t see a way round what you are doing. It is a a problem with sonarworks and how it operates.
You canā€™t really use the desktop version to run a DAW. You need to use it as a plugin in control room. I just set up my different outputs in control room with separate instances of sound ID. When I switch output in the control room it also switches to a different sound ID with its different settings. I also have different headphones set up this way.

Maybe ask at sonarworks as this is not really a Cubase problem.

Hi, thanks for replying.
So what I currently do as a temporary workaround is: whenever I finish recording and I mix I use sonarwork and cubaseā€™s audio device and then switching profiles works the way I need it to work.
I just hope my desktop reference id wonā€™t interfere with my mixdown as it is not an insert anywhere on Cubase.
Whenever I record i need to change the audio device to the Apogee symphony desktop and then I am limited to only one output but thatā€™s fine for the recording process.

This was Sonarworks replay tho It didnā€™t really answered my question fully :
Please be aware that the plugin itself does not configure MIDI, this is done by the DAW and every DAW does this differently. Please refer to this article on MIDI mapping in Cubase: MIDI Learn

I use it on a PC and when you choose you output in Cubase it isnā€™t sound iD so you donā€™t get a doubling.

The way I work I use sound ID on my desktop for playing music off the internet etc. in Cubase I use on the control room and the professional audio interface which bypasses the sound ID on the desktop. Same goes for Wavelab too.

That really is the right way to use with a DAW. I canā€™t think of any other way that would work well.

I figured that choosing sound id on Cubase is fine on the count of Cubaseā€“>sound id referenceā€”>Apogee symphony desktop and there is no doubling (please. correct me if Iā€™m wrong).

And what happens if you have 2 sets of monitors and headphones (like a lot of people in this industry)?
Do you have to have 3 inserts of sound id on your control room? thatā€™s hardly a convenient option I was hoping I Iā€™ve missed something that sonarworks could help me with easily, I guess they need to work on it.

I understand what you are saying , have 3 pairs of monitors via the control room and i leave the sonar works vst open and swap the profile while swapping monitors , not ideal but itā€™s only a couple of clicks

There is nothing wrong with having multiple control room monitor outs, each one with itā€™s own plugins. I have three, one for my main monitors with Sonarworks, one for headphones with headphone correction, and one for the same headphone, but without correction (zero latency).
I switch between them with key commands.
So you could easily use three monitor outs, each going to the same physical output (need to disable ā€œexclusive device ports for Monitor channelsā€ in the preferences first), and load an instance of Sonarworks on each of them, with the right preset.
Then you could create a MIDI remote for your monitor controller and instruct that to switch between the different monitors.

1 Like

Not to hijack the thread - but Thanks @fese - Iā€™ve been trying unscuccesfully to get my headphones onto the same output with a different SoundID profile via Control Room.
And now thanks to the disable ā€˜exclusive device ports for monitor chanelsā€™ I have finally done it!
I love this forum -I regularly read in the hope of finding nuggets of gold just like this one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, I know that feeling - ā€œWhat, I can do that?? Didnā€™t know that, and Iā€™ve been only using Cubase for 20 yearsā€ :rofl:

1 Like

Yes I have three lots of sound ID in control room. Works great. Cubase can only see what you give it. Iā€™m not sure how you would expect it to work or give you what you want.

Thanks for the info, so let me see if I get this straight: I need to load 3 deferent insert of sound Iā€™d reference into my control room inserts or do I need to have 3 control rooms?
Can you please guide me through this?

You can o ly give one control room but you can gave multiple outputs in control room. These outputs can all have inserts in them. You have to be switched to a certain output like speaker B for instance then on the insert tab you can put sound ID. I have headphone and two speaker outputs A and B. On each of these I insert an instance of sound ID with the correct profile loaded. For tracking I gave them set at zero latency and change them to linear phase when mixing seriously.

@Pierott
Itā€™s worth to check how the control room is working, it has some nice possibilities.

But itā€™s not that easy to understand all. But itā€™s worth to try.

You can insert plugins on the monitor outputs used in the control room.

1 Like