Cubase 12 crashes / freezes as soon as project is opened

Hey, in the last two days Cubase keeps crashing when I open particular projects. It’s never happened before (in nearly 3 years of using Cubase very frequently), I’ve not installed any new plug-ins in the last 48 hours and everything was running smoothly before this. I’m in danger of losing quite a big project if I cannot get this resolved.

Help needed!!

To be clear, it doesn’t happen on all projects, I’ve been able to work on other projects with no problems. But it’s 2 projects where it will crash as soon as it loads and this is something that’s never happened before.

Hi,

Does it crash or freeze? Do you have crash/dmp file available? Could you attach it, please?

it freezes. For some reason I’m not getting a crash/dmp file when I reload Cubase. It suggests to deactivate 3rd party plug-ins. I’ve tried that and the particular project still freezes.

Hi,

If you are on Windows…

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 12:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase12

Nuendo 12:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo12

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Hey Martin,

This is what came back:

C:\Users\Martin John\Desktop\Procdump>procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase12

ProcDump v10.11 - Sysinternals process dump utility
Copyright (C) 2009-2021 Mark Russinovich and Andrew Richards
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

Process: Cubase12.exe (14628)
Process image: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 12\Cubase12.exe
CPU threshold: n/a
Performance counter: n/a
Commit threshold: n/a
Threshold seconds: 10
Hung window check: Enabled
Log debug strings: Disabled
Exception monitor: Unhandled
Exception filter: [Includes]
[Excludes]
Terminate monitor: Enabled
Cloning type: Disabled
Concurrent limit: n/a
Avoid outage: n/a
Number of dumps: 1
Dump folder: C:\Users\Martin John\Desktop\Procdump
Dump filename/mask: PROCESSNAME_YYMMDD_HHMMSS
Queue to WER: Disabled
Kill after dump: Disabled

Press Ctrl-C to end monitoring without terminating the process.

[14:06:34] Hung Window:
[14:06:34] Dump 1 initiated: C:\Users\Martin John\Desktop\Procdump\Cubase12.exe_220609_140634.dmp
[14:06:35] Dump 1 complete: 75 MB written in 1.2 seconds
[14:06:35] Dump count reached.

Oops - I realise this isn’t what you needed. If I share via dropbox or google drive, where should I send the dmp file?

Hi,

Upload the DMP file to the Dropbox or Google Drive and share the link here, please.

Here you go:

Thanks!

Hey Martin,

I was wondering whether you’ve been able to identify the problem?

Thanks,

Martin

Hi Martin,

Sorry, I can’t download the file. It asks me to sign in to the GMail account.

How about this?

Any luck with this?

Hi,

Sorry, this is still Cubase 12.0.0 crash. Please update to the latest Cubase 12.0.30.

This is also an issue I experienced today for the first time ever, using Cubase for more than 10 years.

Upon opening a project Cubase reacts very slowly and then completely freezes. When I quit via the Task Manager it does not create a Crash Dump.

I am running the latest 12.0.50 Cubase Pro

Hello all,

I’m also experiencing this. It only happens when I have the ARA Extension opened for Acon Digital’s Acoustica. I have been using this to edit audio files within Cubase for a post-production project.

It has happened on two different versions of the project now. There were no crashes with these projects until AFTER I had loaded the Acoustica Extension, saved my project with the extension enabled, quit the program, and then tried to open the same project in Cubase later on to resume editing.

I firmly believe the ARA extension for Acoustica is causing the crash.

It also pops up with the window to “open Cubase with disabled VSTs” etc, but each time, this still fails when I select this and Cubase crashes.

Hope this info helps. I am running the latest versions of Cubase Pro 12 and Acoustica &.4 Premium.

I should add, I’m on a Mac Mini M1, running OS12.6.5 Monterey.