Cubase 12 crashes when using shortcut to "Edit Instrument" on Sampler Tracks

This is a very specific issue I have but it’s a real pain. A lot of the time this crashes Cubase (I can often do it about 1-2 times after open but usually crashes on the 3-4th time):

If I have a Sampler Track selected in the project window and want to “Edit Instrument”, i.e. open up the Lower Zone to edit my Sampler Track, I would use the keyboard shortcut “Shift+E” which I have set up for this - Cubase crashes.

No issue when opening the “Edit Instrument” manually by clicking on the button on the track. Nor is there an issue if I use my key command for “Show/Hide Lower Zone”.

I’ve been using this shortcut for many years and it has always worked on Instrument Tracks and still does. I haven’t been using Sampler Tracks for very long so I don’t know if this is an issue in older versions.

Is the issue related to my specific shortcut?

Cubase 12.0.50
macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Hi,

Could you try to Disable Preferences via Cubase Safe Start Mode, please?

Regarding the key command are you using
Edit → Edit VST Instrument ?

In that case I cannot reporduce it with 12.0.40 on PC. Works fine over here. So I would follow Martin’s advice to rule out corrupted preferences.

Thanks for the replies.

Correct, it’s the key command for Edit > Edit VST Instrument.

I tried opening Cubase with preferences disabled but had the same issue. However, I tried this in an older project which had previously crashed for the same reason. Do I need to make a new project from scratch with prefs disabled?

You can try it in a new project first with your preferences enabled. If that doesn’t work try it without.

Hi,

Could you try in the Cubase Safe Start Mode [Disable preferences], please?

Yes, that’s what I did. I opened it in Safe Start with Disabled Preferences. Same issue.

Just a theory with trying to replicate the issue: try doing it with the Right Zone > MediaBay > File Browser open? Because I always have that open when I use Sampler tracks.

So did I, but I had no crashes.